Office of GM Foucaulf - POLICY AGENDA POSTED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:16:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Office of GM Foucaulf - POLICY AGENDA POSTED
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Office of GM Foucaulf - POLICY AGENDA POSTED  (Read 5030 times)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2015, 09:01:37 PM »

Looks quite agreeable Foucaulf.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2015, 09:14:52 PM »

Looks quite agreeable Foucaulf.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2015, 12:43:35 AM »

hashemite what are the names of the constituencies? and i'd like to claim the southern argentinan one if that's ok
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2015, 03:01:11 AM »

I'd like Ecuador.

Though this is a really strange and potentially unaccessable set up...but I'll go with it.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »

If we're going to go with South America, I'll take the Amazon-based seat...
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2015, 09:40:23 AM »

I'll take the main Venezuela seat.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2015, 09:48:46 AM »

That map is terrific, Hash. I love this idea.

I'll take the Paraguay seat, although I hope we can come up with better names than just the names of the nation for those ones.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »

Which of those constituencies would be the most 'industrialized' of the zones, Hash? Unfortunately I'm not well versed in Latin American geography, but I think that (as I'll be running as an Old Left-style communist), I'd need to contest whichever seat that would roughly correspond to.
Foucaulf
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2015, 10:10:50 AM »

Okay, here's the deal with the first election. I thought it would be a good idea to have everyone in the game run for a seat, but I'm an idiot. That would just lead to everyone voting for themselves.

The plan I raised in IRC was this: for our first election, we just run a national party list. It still has the same problem as everyone voting for themselves, but the intrigue that matters is the list order. In other words, people need to join parties and figure out who should get elected and who shouldn't.

We can "apportion" out the constituencies once the election's over. Party list leaders have priority in choosing a seat. Registration by constituency for all will also be available.

Thoughts?
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »

I'll take that Paraguay seat.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »

Okay, here's the deal with the first election. I thought it would be a good idea to have everyone in the game run for a seat, but I'm an idiot. That would just lead to everyone voting for themselves.

The plan I raised in IRC was this: for our first election, we just run a national party list. It still has the same problem as everyone voting for themselves, but the intrigue that matters is the list order. In other words, people need to join parties and figure out who should get elected and who shouldn't.

We can "apportion" out the constituencies once the election's over. Party list leaders have priority in choosing a seat. Registration by constituency for all will also be available.

Thoughts?

I really like this idea, as it strengthens our potential party system.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2015, 10:35:18 AM »

Thoughts?

i like the idea in principle but i was planning on forming a localist party which i guess wouldn't work all that well under that system
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »

Thoughts?

I think would work great, at least until we have the membership to sustain a "proper" election game. It might actually even be better.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2015, 10:54:58 AM »

I'd like Ecuador.

Though this is a really strange and potentially unaccessable set up...but I'll go with it.

It is.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »

Ill take Uruguay.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2015, 11:55:30 AM »

I'll take Brasilia, I think it's one of the more interesting cities in Brazil
Foucaulf
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2015, 12:11:29 PM »

i like the idea in principle but i was planning on forming a localist party which i guess wouldn't work all that well under that system

I understand that's a problem. I'm not opposed to the idea of constituencies - they should exist, and there will be ones more competitive than others. The dirtier parts of Atlasia will emerge along with it, but in our game that's not a bug, but a feature.

I just don't want the first election to be screwy and turn everyone off the game. But we will allow joint party lists this election, so maybe you can create your party and negotiate a spot on another's list.

I'm reattaching Flo's constituency map below. Friendly reminder that, until we have an election law, none of your constituency claims will be honoured.

Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »

Wouldn't it be a better idea to have Hash's constituency map, so we can have seats for all twenty members of the first parliament? Or do you want some pure party-list seats...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2015, 01:05:01 PM »

I don't know anything about these countries or the people in them.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »

Wouldn't it be a better idea to have Hash's constituency map, so we can have seats for all twenty members of the first parliament? Or do you want some pure party-list seats...

IMO it isn't that important and even if it was the choice of constituency map should be Parliament's decision instead of the GM's. I doubt there will be enough players for twenty constituencies to ever be utilized for electoral purposes and it makes thematic sense that the first parliament is more of an assembly of notables rather than a well planned and elected body.

I don't know anything about these countries or the people in them.

I think that's part of the point. Any West European or North American stand-in will very very quickly end up politically where Atlasia is now. Atlasia will still be around as a "Western" government sim while this new country can deal with issues that don't really effect the first world. For example, South America (do we have a name for this new country yet?) isn't really aligned with any foreign powers and can create its own foreign policy without being tied down like the NATO countries are.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2015, 03:27:10 PM »

Fwiw, this is the scenario Foucaulf is proposing for either proposal regarding which laws would be in place at the time of the Mock Parliament's creation.

My intent is still more or less "make on the spot as someone asks." But I'll probably be adopting the legislative situation in the mid 2000s for both scenarios. Recent enough to relate for most players but before the wave of social liberalism hitting both (giving people a few easy bills to work on)

Either you or I could post this answer on the forum too.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »

I claim Guyana! (If we go this route)
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2015, 11:11:35 PM »

This has not passed yet? Why is everyone claiming places?

Once/if it passes a Sign Up thread will be created where everyone can register for various constituencies...
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2015, 12:56:23 AM »

Yeah, let's not jump the gun here, guys.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2015, 02:10:08 AM »

I like a European idea. It's not North America, so it's different than Atlasia, but we're more familiar with it than South America.

If you'll allow it, I've wrote-up a bill of my own on that, in the same style as Foucaulf's:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's a rough draft, I suppose, but it seems like a nice blueprint.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies