The Next Chapter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:41:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Next Chapter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Next Chapter  (Read 859 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »

Atlasia has had a great run. I am perhaps not the best to speak of what in particular made it great over its 11 years, but it one can hardly claim otherwise. But there is now a broad consensus that the game in its present form has reached its limits, that we must turn to something new. I think many-- myself included-- took such sentiment to mean that we must stop taking part in such games altogether, that the Atlas as a whole was dead, and so too must Atlasia die.

But this is not the case. We see that almost 3 out of 4 Atlasians think it is time to start anew. And start anew we already have. We have revived the Mock Parliament and there are now over two dozen players signed up, just a day after starting. Here is our new start, our opportunity to play a game that will be engaging, interesting, and above all fun as Atlasia was at its start and in a way we now find so lacking from the game today. We have the potential to work with a constitutional framework allowing flexibility and adaptability, precluding the inertia and stagnation that left so many cynical and disillusioned. Here is our new opportunity. It should not be allowed to pass us by.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:58:21 PM »

Excellent stuff, Simfan.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:10:59 PM »

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 07:02:04 PM »

Why not just kill off the game and let something form organically? The parliament experiment has been tried before and usually dies off pretty quickly due to lack of interest, so I really don't see it as a viable plan to follow in the footsteps of Atlasia.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 07:04:32 PM »

Why not just kill off the game and let something form organically? The parliament experiment has been tried before and usually dies off pretty quickly due to lack of interest, so I really don't see it as a viable plan to follow in the footsteps of Atlasia.

Surely that counts as "organic"?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 10:15:41 PM »

I think we shouldn't kill off Atlasia, but I have enough time on my hands to do both.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 11:19:18 PM »

I am fully behind the formation of a mock parliament in the mock parliament board. Provided Atlasia is left to rise and fall on its own and not arbitrarily killed off. People can choose which games they prefer to play and some will chose both. A lot of people have grown tired of Atlasia, thats fine, creating an alternative will force Atlasia to improve to compete for players.

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 12:11:07 AM »

I agree with Yankee and Leinad: there's no reason why the two games can't coexist peacefully. Perhaps we could even appoint ambassadors and conduct diplomacy between the two.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 12:52:17 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2015, 12:53:50 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I agree with Yankee and Leinad: there's no reason why the two games can't coexist peacefully. Perhaps we could even appoint ambassadors and conduct diplomacy between the two.

I mentioned this on AAD when an AAD sim was discussed and I think Earl was somewhat interested, but it got shot down amongst bemoaning how a lack of term limits destroyed the game. Really? We are fast approaching ten Senators having left the chamber since February. The only seats that have not changed hands in that period are Polnut's (Retiring) and Cris' (elected in December).

Anyway back on point. An interactive foreign policy that was more than just what the GM generated would add a new dynamic that is completely novel and original. I would recommend the mock Parliament go for Albion instead of Atlasia redux British style. That way we can have a post UK Britain and a Post US America.

You could do a restart here, even if not a full one, and thereby clear the foreign policy realm to completely make way for this new dynamic.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »

This is an interesting idea. A leaner, more focused Atlasia and another nation in the Mock Parliament board (assuming for the moment that they'd both have roughly similar populations...) would solve one of Atlasia's major problems in one fell swoop - the fact that it exists in vacuum.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 04:24:13 PM »

Sure, a mock parliament game can co-exist. Let people chose which one they wish to play. The only reason I'd never support changing Atlasia to a parliamentary style game is because past parliament mocks here have lasted no longer than a few months before people got bored and interest died off.

If a parliament style game succeeded, then both games could work together internationally.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 09:25:23 PM »

This has gotten off the ground considerably in the past three days, so just bringing this back up.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies