Why the Sweden Democrats are rising (fast)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:50:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why the Sweden Democrats are rising (fast)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why the Sweden Democrats are rising (fast)  (Read 11836 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »

Regular people in Sweden probably don't get free housing and if they're poor enough that they do qualify for free housing, they probably don't get to pick where it is.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2015, 09:20:55 PM »

You either accept immigrants, be it economic immigrants or asylum seekers, as f***ing equal human beings, and you don't demand from them anything other than what you'd demand from your fellow native human beings, or you don't accept them at all. Period.

If you aren't prepared to have a planification among native Swedes of who must live in the countryside and who can live wherever they want, you don't do that for the people you accept.

The important part is the concept of f***ing equal human beings, which I fear is growingly lost on many people...

This is the sensible solution.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2015, 09:51:05 PM »

Worth mentioning that the SDs are strongest in the more densely populated south of the country. Urban Sweden in general is to the right of rural Sweden.

A key component of the SDs surge is its rise in rural Sweden.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2015, 11:37:56 PM »

It's terrible that people are calling the Swedes taking them in bad names but seriously, nothing bad is happening to the Swedes in this deal. The government is losing money from accepting refugees but that's their commitment.
For the reasons that the asylum seekers complain (no cities, can't be around people with the same background), I would rather they get accepted by stable Arab countries like Morocco or Oman, but its good that Sweden is up to the task.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Probably the best course of action.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2015, 07:15:35 AM »

Just to be clear here, from what I understand from Swedish news (I'm currently in Malaysia so not following this as closely as I'd like to) it's not a rural town. It's a former military base which is no longer in use so there is actually not just "no other immigrant support networks around" I think there is literally no one around at all. As such there is obviously no such thing as jobs etc at all.

Secondly, these are people seeking asylum in Sweden. They have no right at all to be in Sweden because their application for asylum has not yet been granted. We have to house them while their applications are being reviewed. That has become a problem because with the second highest rate per capita in Europe of asylum seekers the pressure on existing housing is pretty severe. It's almost impossible for a regular citizen to find accommodation in Stockholm so it'd probably be hard to do it for the thousands of refugees coming in.

Thirdly, I think Politicus should maybe tone down the policing of what is allowed or not allowed to be said in threads. It comes off as a bit arrogant. Tongue

That said, I'll leave our resident racists to carry on their hatefest!
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2015, 07:28:45 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2015, 07:36:43 AM by politicus »

Thirdly, I think politicus should maybe tone down the policing of what is allowed or not allowed to be said in threads. It comes off as a bit arrogant. Tongue

I have made no attempt to tell anyone what is allowed to be said. I get frustrated when people do not get certain fundamental facts - especially if I sense that they deliberately feign ignorance - if that is what you are referring to.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2015, 07:32:14 AM »

I don't want these pretentious twats in Germany if they behave like this; Sweden can have them.

Who, the angry posters or the immigrants? Unless you're talking about Eritreans and their invented histories, I'm not sure how you could call the poor fellows "pretentious twats". I'm not at all sure. You, on the other hand...
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2015, 10:19:19 AM »

I don't want these pretentious twats in Germany if they behave like this; Sweden can have them.

Who, the angry posters or the immigrants? Unless you're talking about Eritreans and their invented histories, I'm not sure how you could call the poor fellows "pretentious twats". I'm not at all sure. You, on the other hand...

Their invented history? The Ethiopians were the ones who invented history in their oppression of the Eritrean people.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2015, 11:21:54 AM »

Their invented history? The Ethiopians were the ones who invented history in their oppression of the Eritrean people.

Why-

What utter-

What on-

Like what?!?!
Eritrea is not a real country, you dolt! It was created by the Italians in 1892! Any claim to the contrary is an utter invention? Do you know what "Mereb Mellash" was? The "Bahr negus"? Ras Alula? Hamasien? If you don't shut you mouth, because you have no right to tell people what or what not constitute history. And if you do know, then you are even more deluded than I thought.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2015, 11:43:29 AM »

Why-

What utter-

What on-

Like what?!?!
Eritrea is not a real country, you dolt! It was created by the Italians in 1892! Any claim to the contrary is an utter invention? Do you know what "Mereb Mellash" was? The "Bahr negus"? Ras Alula? Hamasien? If you don't shut you mouth, because you have no right to tell people what or what not constitute history. And if you do know, then you are even more deluded than I thought.

It certainly wouldn't be the only country that was "invented" in the 19th century.

And regardless of whether Eritrea is real or not, Ethiopia's oppression of it was very real. Don't be a hack.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »

Just because Eritrean identity was invented by Italian colonization doesn't mean that it is any less of an identity. It's like Moldova.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2015, 11:52:57 AM »

Why-

What utter-

What on-

Like what?!?!

It certainly wouldn't be the only country that was "invented" in the 19th century.

And regardless of whether Eritrea is real or not, Ethiopia's oppression of it was very real. Don't be a hack.

Mengistu Haile Mariam oppressed Eritrea, of course. But "Ethiopia" did not oppress Eritrea.

You guys need a history lesson. When I get back from lunch I shall try my best to give you all one.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2015, 01:37:36 PM »

Stormfront.txt

Asylum seekers have the right to demand to be placed in a community that provides for their cultural and economic needs. The Swedish government is making a terrible error if it thinks that small towns are proper locations for refugees. It's far more likely that immigrants will be ostracized in small homogeneous communities than in cosmopolitan cities.

In reality, the difference meteorologically between northern sweden and southern sweden relative to Syria is not going to make a difference.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2015, 09:53:09 PM »

Stormfront.txt

Asylum seekers have the right to demand to be placed in a community that provides for their cultural and economic needs. The Swedish government is making a terrible error if it thinks that small towns are proper locations for refugees. It's far more likely that immigrants will be ostracized in small homogeneous communities than in cosmopolitan cities.

In reality, the difference meteorologically between northern sweden and southern sweden relative to Syria is not going to make a difference.

I'm not sure that's true. In Southern Sweden you might very well not get snow at all for years. In the North you'll spend weeks without daylight have freezing temperatures half the year, etc.

Politicus, you keep telling people that their posts are irrelevant or off-topic and aren't interesting enough compared to what you're posting about which you have decided is more interesting. I think it may come off as a bit arrogant to presume you can decide what is or isn't interesting enough to warrant posting, that's all. Tongue
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2015, 06:49:38 AM »

In Southern Sweden you might very well not get snow at all for years.

Lol no! We've always had snow every year for the 23 years I've lived in the far south. Sure some years it's only been a little and just for a few weeks, but the idea that we are most often salvaged from the power of snow for years down here is as faulty as the idea that there are Polar Bears roaming the streets of Sundsvall. Tongue

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2015, 08:17:37 AM »

Lol no! We've always had snow every year for the 23 years I've lived in the far south. Sure some years it's only been a little and just for a few weeks, but the idea that we are most often salvaged from the power of snow for years down here is as faulty as the idea that there are Polar Bears roaming the streets of Sundsvall. Tongue

In fact while we don't get much snow in Denmark, there haven't been one year the last 33 year without snow.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2015, 05:49:59 AM »

In fact while we don't get much snow in Denmark, there haven't been one year the last 33 year without snow.
Yes, but they're coming. Winter is dying.

As for the topic here, with Gustaf's precisions, I guess these asylum seekers do need to be accomodated somewhere while their application is being examined, and I guess it could be difficult to do so in central Stockholm. But Östersund... Well, they can at least practice biathlon for the Iraqi team in Pyeongchang in 2018 !
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2015, 10:39:28 PM »

That's almost as long as it has been since we last had snowcover where I live.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2015, 02:15:06 AM »

Yes, but they're coming. Winter is dying.

As for the topic here, with Gustaf's precisions, I guess these asylum seekers do need to be accomodated somewhere while their application is being examined, and I guess it could be difficult to do so in central Stockholm. But Östersund... Well, they can at least practice biathlon for the Iraqi team in Pyeongchang in 2018 !

That's actually not all too bad of an idea.

"The Syrian/Iraqi Biathlon or Skiing team".

I like that sound.

They could go they way of the Jamaican bob team in Calgary. Besides, if the refugess start to engage themselves in winter sports, rather than complaining how "icy" northern Sweden is, it would also be a way to deal with their war traumas. Sports activity can be good for overcoming these kinds of problems.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2015, 08:23:48 AM »

But we don't have snow in Stockholm every year so surely Skåne which is much further South can't always have that much?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »

Ok, to clarify I don't mean in the sense of "at one point there is snow coming from the sky". I mean there actually being snow on the ground for some period of time. That doesn't happen properly in Stockholm every year, at least not in the city. Or I'm deluding myself completely about this, which isn't entirely impossible. Tongue

Unrelatedly, Sweden did set up the first Somali bandy team for the World Cup in that fairly recently. There is a documentary about it which I haven't watched.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2015, 02:17:49 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=6217312
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »

You just committed the great Atlas sin of necromancy. Wink

This is not a GD about the Sweden Democrats (it would be very unusual to have a GD about a single party). There is a Sweden GD for news like this.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »

This is not a GD about the Sweden Democrats (it would be very unusual to have a GD about a single party). There is a Sweden GD for news like this.

I wasn't able to find it, for some reason my Atlas search function is barely functional.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »

I wasn't able to find it, for some reason my Atlas search function is barely functional.

All GDs are listed in the stickied General Discussion Threads.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies