Galloway vs BBC man Paxman interview after result
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:27:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Galloway vs BBC man Paxman interview after result
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Galloway vs BBC man Paxman interview after result  (Read 3691 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2005, 06:06:58 AM »

JP: We're joined now from his count in Bethnal Green and Bow by George Galloway. Mr Galloway, are you proud of having got rid of one of the very few black women in Parliament?

GG: What a preposterous question. I know it's very late in the night, but wouldn't you be better starting by congratulating me for one of the most sensational election results in modern history?

JP: Are you proud of having got rid of one of the very few black women in Parliament?

GG: I'm not - Jeremy - move on to your next question.

JP: You're not answering that one?

GG: No because I don't believe that people get elected because of the colour of their skin. I believe people get elected because of their record and because of their policies. So move on to your next question.

JP: Are you proud -

GG: Because I've got a lot of people who want to speak to me.

JP: - You -

GG: If you ask that question again, I'm going, I warn you now.

JP: Don't try and threaten me Mr Galloway, please.

GG: You're the one who's trying to badger me.

JP: I'm not trying to badger you, I'm merely trying to ask if you're proud at having driven out of Parliament one of the very few black women there, a woman you accuse of having on her conscience 100,000 people.

GG: Oh well there's no doubt about that one. There's absolutely no doubt that all those New Labour MPs who voted for Mr Blair and Mr Bush's war have on their hands the blood of 100,000 people in Iraq, many of them British soldiers, many of them American soldiers, most of them Iraqis and that's a more important issue than the colour of her skin.

JP: Absolutely, because you then went on to say "including a lot of women who had blacker faces than her"

GG: Absolutely right, absolutely right. So don't try and tell me I should feel guilty about one of the most sensational election results in modern electoral history.

JP: I put it to you Mr Galloway that Nick Raynsford had you to a T when he said you were a "demagogue".

GG: Sorry?

JP: Nick Raynsford. You know who I mean? Nick Raynsford. Labour MP?

GG: No, I don't know who you mean.

JP: Never heard of him.

GG: I've never heard of Nick Raynsford, no.

JP: What else haven't you heard of?

GG: Well, I've been in Parliament a long time...

JP: He was a Parliamentary colleague of yours until very recently.

GG: Well, most of them just blend one into the other, Jeremy, they're largely a spineless, a supine bunch.

JP: Have you ever heard of Tony Banks?

GG: Yes I have, yes.

JP: Right, Tony Banks was sitting here five minutes ago, and he said that you were behaving inexcusably, that you had deliberately chosen to go to that part of London and to exploit the latent racial tensions there.

GG: You are actually conducting one of the most - even by your standards - one of the most absurd interviews I have ever participated in. I have just won an election. Can you find it within yourself to recognise that fact? To recognise the fact that the people of Bethnal Green and Bow chose me this evening. Why are you insulting them?

JP: I'm not insulting them, I'm not insulting you

GG: You are insulting them, they chose me just a few minutes ago. Can't you find it within yourself even to congratulate me on this victory?

JP: Congratulations, Mr Galloway.

GG: Thank you very much indeed. [Waves, removes microphone]
MissCatholic

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 06:09:39 AM »

if anyone can find a video of it. i would love to listen in.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 09:35:42 AM »

I actually watched it as it happend on C-SPAN.  Whatever what one thinks of Galloway, what the BBC did to him was unfair.
Banana Republic
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 09:54:48 AM »

When was the last time Paxman asked a question that wasn't ridiculously loaded and childish?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 10:15:59 AM »

What Galloway did to Oona King was unfair.

What Paxman did to Galloway was just giving him his just desserts.

I actually watched it as it happend on C-SPAN.  Whatever what one thinks of Galloway, what the BBC did to him was unfair.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 10:42:29 AM »

The problem with Paxman is that he gives so many desserts, both just and unjust, that he is probably is the leading cause of obesity in Britain. Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 12:18:55 PM »

What Galloway did to Oona King was unfair.

That's true but the anchor asked a really ridiculous question. Journalists have to strive to be fair, not matter how difficult it may be. I am, in a way, happy that he asked the question though. It was the funniest interview I've ever seen. The best part (even though he asked that stupid question) was when the anchor kept saying, "Don't threaten me!"
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 12:30:54 PM »

How was what Galloway did unfair?  He got more votes than her?  I don't think anyone is alleging he stole the election, are they? 

Did they ask everyone else who ran against a minority whether they thought people should get immunity from tough elections because of their race?

He has a right to believe what he believes in, and to run for office on those beliefs.  It's the voters that are to blame for electing him.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 12:36:03 PM »

I think it was the anti-semitism, the smear campaign, the violence, the intimidation...
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 04:19:15 PM »

Tokenism seems to seep deap into the British poltical system.  BBC man makes a big deal about how a "Black Women MP" lost her seat.  Michael Howard's speech makes a big deal about a Black Conservative MP and all kinds of new Women Conservative MP.  Labour tries to force a women candidate in some safe seat in Wales only to have her lose to an independent Labor candidate.  The belief that having a Women or Black or some other "minority" or "oppressed" status MP is value of its own is just sad.  What is worse it that all political parties in GB seems to accept this. 
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 04:21:16 PM »

Galloway deserves to have one of his "constituents" knock him off if he ever goes back to Tower Hamlets (Which I personally doubt he will).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 05:58:02 PM »

How was what Galloway did unfair? He got more votes than her? I don't think anyone is alleging he stole the election, are they?

In his victory speech just after the declaration, Galloway attacked the people responsible for counting the ballots.  If anyone is alleging that he stole the election, its himself.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 06:54:38 PM »

That interview was incredibly unfair.  Galloway should not be treated that way by any reasonable news service.  While I disagree with his positions and his choice of seats, Paxman should not try to make him seem like a foolish racist and sexist.  He seemed foolish enough when he didn't know the Raynsford's name.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2005, 07:14:46 PM »

I've seen Paxman interview some other people before.  Believe me, he didn't treat Galloway any different from his other guests in the past.

I like to see journalists actually grill politicians, preferably with little regard for further massaging their egos.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 09:20:04 PM »

How was what Galloway did unfair? He got more votes than her? I don't think anyone is alleging he stole the election, are they?

In his victory speech just after the declaration, Galloway attacked the people responsible for counting the ballots.  If anyone is alleging that he stole the election, its himself.

The counters' actions would "disgrace a banana republic" or something like that. He's an attention whore if there ever was one. He wanted attention by trying to leave the interview, too. He was throwing off the earpiece and all which actually made him look like a frustrated child.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 09:51:54 PM »

I watched that live on the internet feed the other night.  It was hilarious.  Now, Galloway is a horrible man, but Paxman's question WAS preposterous.  The fact that she's a black woman had nothing to do with this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2005, 02:47:19 AM »

He seemed foolish enough when he didn't know the Raynsford's name.

True Grin

Paxman (who's like that to everyone he interviews) missed a trick; he should have started off asking why Galloway didn't run against Timms in East Ham or in the open West Ham seat. Now, the reasons for that are very, very obvious (he'd have lost, and badly) but it'd be interesting to see how he answered it.

Another question that should have been asked is something along the lines of "is throwing stones at Jews attending a memorial service to Jews killed in air raids in WW2 anti semitic or not?"

Respect's official position on that is that it isn't. Which tells you a lot IMO.
M

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2005, 03:24:39 AM »

Saw it on live feed too. The question was absolutely ridiculous, it would have been slightly more relevant if it had been about her Judaism since anti-Semitism was an issue in the campaign (whereas her race and gender weren't as much). Galloway is a true a**hole, but Paxman- it'll be a while before I criticize O'Reilly and Carville again.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2005, 12:51:22 PM »

For the benefit of the people who didn't see it, you can watch the interview from this page.  Click on the link at the top of the column on the right.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2005, 01:37:04 PM »

Another question that should have been asked is something along the lines of "is throwing stones at Jews attending a memorial service to Jews killed in air raids in WW2 anti semitic or not?"

The name "Respect" for that party is just a mockery of what they really stand for...
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2005, 01:56:08 PM »

To those criticizing Jeremy Paxman, that is his interview style, he questions everyone he interviews in the same manner.
Angel of Death
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2005, 05:08:42 PM »

Kudos to Galloway for rebuking Paxman's attempt at race baiting. That question was beyond ridiculous.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2005, 05:23:15 PM »

Dan rather interviewing Maxine Waters.  :-)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2005, 05:26:16 PM »

Dan rather interviewing Maxine Waters.  :-)
Or Chris Matthews and Zell Miller ...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2005, 07:12:01 PM »

Saw it on live feed too. The question was absolutely ridiculous, it would have been slightly more relevant if it had been about her Judaism since anti-Semitism was an issue in the campaign (whereas her race and gender weren't as much). Galloway is a true a**hole, but Paxman- it'll be a while before I criticize O'Reilly and Carville again.

Heh, it's interesting you pointed that out.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies