Irish general election, 26th Feb 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:18:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish general election, 26th Feb 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29
Author Topic: Irish general election, 26th Feb 2016  (Read 98411 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2016, 10:20:49 AM »

Renua leaflet:

bmw1503
Rookie
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »

Awesome thread; it's been fascinating to learn so much about the internal dynamics of each constituency!

Who is the typical voter for each of the main parties/alliances, in Dublin specifically?
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2016, 06:52:35 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2016, 10:14:19 PM by ObserverIE »

Some demographic analysis from RTÉ and Trinity College.

Election broadcasts so far:

Fine Gael

Labour

Fianna Fáil

Sinn Féin

Alphabet Left

Try spotting the self-described witch in the Alphabet Left broadcast.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2016, 10:05:21 PM by ObserverIE »

Awesome thread; it's been fascinating to learn so much about the internal dynamics of each constituency!

Who is the typical voter for each of the main parties/alliances, in Dublin specifically?

Stereotype:

Fine Gael: professional and business classes, economically conservative, aspiring middle-classes and yuppies (if that's still a word) both actual and would-be; outside of Dublin larger farmers and the soi-disant "better class of people". A certain amount of what would in Britain be termed working-class Tories (although FG tends not to be particularly friendly to either the populism or nationalism that characterises working-class Toryism).

Labour: socially-liberal professional urbanites, not especially left-wing economically but secularist. Trade-union activists of a certain type, self-conscious supporters of League of Ireland soccer clubs (not, definitely not, Premiership or, worse still, GAA). Would formerly have had working-class support in urban and rural areas (the party's long-term base up until the late 60s was rural agricultural workers) but most of that has deserted the party since 2011 and it always played second fiddle to FF even among those voters.

Fianna Fáil: older middle-to-lower-middle and skilled working-classes, particularly those who have bought their homes from the council (the two old dears swimming in the giant armchairs in the election broadcast are utter FF stereotypes). Outside of Dublin, traditionally would have relied on smaller farmers and business people and the majority of working-class voters. It has shrunk to its core since 2008/09, leaving a large void that no-one else has yet really claimed for themselves.

Sinn Féin: traditionally a mixture of rural supporters who were similar to FF supporters except even more so, a smattering of cultural nationalists, and a working-class subculture in the bigger towns and cities. Has expanded since 2008/09 among working-class voters who might traditionally have supported FF or, more recently, Labour but who are disaffected by the economic collapse and subsequent austerity measures.

Alphabet Left: terminally-disaffected working-class voters in Dublin's suburban banlieues and purple-haired intersectionalist SJWs rallying to the banner of a collection of middle-aged, middle-class Trotskyite fantasists given to chronic internecine feuding.

Social Democrats: stereotypical middle-class ex-Labour supporters who were only prepared to stomach so many U-turns and hypocrisies from the leadership.

Renua: a mixture of small-business "get the government out of my way" types and social conservatives with a smattering of people who have made the mistake of taking Ayn Rand seriously.

Greens: see the first sentence of the description of Labour supporters, and substitute the word "secularist" with the word "environmentalist". Throw in a bunch of alternative lifestylers in the more trendy parts of the Irish countryside (west Cork, north Clare, Leitrim).
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2016, 05:35:34 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2016, 07:02:12 AM by ObserverIE »

RedC for Paddy Power:

FG 30 (-1)
FF 18 (+1)
SF 17 (-)
Ind/Oth 16 (-)
Lab 8 (-2)
SP/SWP 4 (+1)
SD 3 (-)
Renua 2 (+1)
GP 2 (-)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2016, 05:58:00 AM »

Our first (that I know of) constituency poll...

TG4 commissioned Ipsos MRBI to poll Donegal

%
19 Doherty (SF) 
17 McConalogue (FF) 
13 McHugh (FG) 
13 Gallagher (FF)
  9 Mac Lochlainn (SF)
  7 Pringle (i)
  7 Shiels (i)
  4 Harte (FG) 
  4 McBrearty (i)
  3 Jackson  (i)
  2 Doherty (SF) 
  2 McGarvey (i) 
  2 Kennedy (i)

Looks like they intend to poll Kerry and Galway West in the coming weeks.

http://www.tg4.ie/en/corporate/press/press-releases/2016-2/09-02-16/
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2016, 06:11:51 AM »

And to think Kennedy was supposed to be a contender...
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2016, 08:15:05 AM »

I wouldn't hold out much hope for the accuracy of constituency polls of STV elections, especially in places like Donegal.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2016, 03:15:50 PM »

I fully expect Michael Healy-Rae to top the poll here. Arguably the most unintelligible TD to outside ears, the Healy-Raes nonetheless appear to make sense to the good people of Kerry. They are entrenched solidly here as they embark on their 5th term between father and son. Michael's brothers topped the polls in Killarney and Kerry S&W in the 2014 locals - and had they put other brothers, sisters or anyone else called Healy-Rae up for election, they'd have been elected too - Danny Healy-Rae got comfortably over two quotas, and Johnny wasn't all that far behind. Michael will be on the shortlist as one of the most biddable independents returned for any government looking to cobble together a majority.

I remember on one occasion several years ago when I was in Ireland I was watching RTE news, there was some local issue in Kerry, and they interviewed Jackie Healy-Rae about it.  I think I understood some of what he said.

Their last few elections in Kerry South have actually been pretty marginal: Jackie was elected under quota in both 2002 and 2007 and Michael similarly in 2011.  But Kerry representation in the Dáil wouldn't be the same without the famous cap...

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2016, 03:17:44 PM »

... and the Healy-Rae election song:
http://midkerryjournal.com/news/healy-rae-gets-truly-diverse-with-election-song/
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2016, 03:10:32 AM »

And another constituency poll is out.

The Irish Independent commissioned Millward Brown to poll Dublin West...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/joan-burton-staring-at-end-of-political-career-34443089.html
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2016, 03:17:47 AM »

By the by, some electoral trivium, the good people of Listowel in County Kerry are in the middle of a re-count of the local election for the area from 2014.

More here: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/kerry-local-election-recount-suspended-over-disputed-ballots-1.2529277
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2016, 05:02:07 AM »

I'm surprised Irish Times is even allowed to mention Catherine Murphy.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2016, 06:52:06 AM »

I'm surprised Irish Times is even allowed to mention Catherine Murphy.

It's the ironically-named Independent group that is owned by [REDACTED].
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2016, 06:55:28 AM »
« Edited: February 11, 2016, 07:08:55 AM by ObserverIE »

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/joan-burton-staring-at-end-of-political-career-34443089.html

Party totals and changes since the 2011 election FWIW:

FG 22 (-7)
SF 20 (+14)
FF 17 (-) (although the second FF candidate last time is polling 9% as an independent)
SP 15 (-4)
Lab 10 (-19)
GP 2 (+1)

On those figures, I'd think it quite possible that McGuinness (the disenchanted FFer) could overhaul Joan Burton in the later counts.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2016, 07:43:02 AM »
« Edited: February 11, 2016, 07:47:17 AM by Јas »

Breaking news from Kerry on nomination day...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/danny-healy-rae/

I'll take another look at my Kerry prediction later, but my initial instinct is that two Healy-Raes in the Dáil is a real possibility.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2016, 07:54:58 AM »
« Edited: February 11, 2016, 08:19:48 AM by ObserverIE »

Breaking news from Kerry on nomination day...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/danny-healy-rae/

I'll take another look at my Kerry prediction later, but my initial instinct is that two Healy-Raes in the Dáil is a real possibility.

Negotiations under way for a third candidate to fill the gender quota and pull in votes from north Kerry:

ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2016, 12:56:34 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2016, 12:59:42 PM by ObserverIE »

First TV debate tonight, featuring the main party leaders and Joan Burton, on TV3 and jointly hosted by TV3 and the [REDACTED]-owned NewsTalk.

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/live/tv3/
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2016, 07:03:54 PM »

Party totals and changes since the 2011 election FWIW:

FG 22 (-7)
SF 20 (+14)
FF 17 (-) (although the second FF candidate last time is polling 9% as an independent)
SP 15 (-4)
Lab 10 (-19)
GP 2 (+1)

On those figures, I'd think it quite possible that McGuinness (the disenchanted FFer) could overhaul Joan Burton in the later counts.

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't Dublin West a 4-seater? Assuming those numbers are accurate (big assumption for constituency-level polling anywhere), wouldn't it be difficult to see anything but Varadkar/Donnelly/Chambers/Coppinger on those numbers? SF and FF seem like comparatively transfer-unfriendly parties, but that gap between Chambers and Burton or McGuinness seems too large to me to be overcome.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »

Yes, to make it clear, on those figures Burton would not even make it to the final count, which would be between Coppinger and McGuinness.

FF aren't as transfer-unfriendly as they were and Chambers would undoubtedly pick up enough scraps to get him over the line.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2016, 05:09:58 AM »

Close of nominations was noon yesterday.

Below are my numbers cobbled together from various sources... E&OE

Included also is the number of female candidates. For those unaware, rules regarding State funding for parties changed since the last election. Parties running greater than 70% of their candidates of one gender would suffer significant financial penalty under the new rules.

Candidates   Candidates
PartyTotal Female
Fine Gael8827
Fianna Fáil7122
Sinn Féin5018
Green4014
Labour3613
AAA-PBP3113
Renua268
Independent Alliance215
Direct Democracy183
SocDems146
Independents 4 Change   52
Workers52
People’s Convention 41
UnitedPeople31
Catholic Democrats  32
Irish Democratic Party21
WUAG10
Fís Nua11
Communist10
Independents131
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2016, 08:47:32 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2016, 08:49:26 AM by DavidB. »

As always, a great post, Jas. I have some questions. What is the depost threshold? And related to transfers: Do most people transfer their vote, or do they generally only indicate their first preference? If people transfer their vote, do they often do this "tactically", e.g. "FG has my first preference, but the second FG candidate in my constituency won't be elected anyway, so I'll give the Labour candidate my second preference in order to get him elected", or do they then often give the second FG candidate their second preference and give the Labour candidate their third preference? And what could we generally expect this time, in terms of transfers? I suppose most FG voters, who tend to approve of the government's record, would transfer to Labour, but the other way around... maybe not so much. And how do you think FF and SF voters will transfer?
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2016, 09:15:57 AM »

Close of nominations was noon yesterday.

Below are my numbers cobbled together from various sources... E&OE

Included also is the number of female candidates. For those unaware, rules regarding State funding for parties changed since the last election. Parties running greater than 70% of their candidates of one gender would suffer significant financial penalty under the new rules.

Candidates   Candidates
PartyTotal Female
Fine Gael8827
Fianna Fáil7122
Sinn Féin5018
Green4014
Labour3613
AAA-PBP3113
Renua268
Independent Alliance215
Direct Democracy183
SocDems146
Independents 4 Change   52
Workers52
People’s Convention 41
UnitedPeople31
Catholic Democrats  32
Irish Democratic Party21
WUAG10
Fís Nua11
Communist10
Independents131
Wow what a sexist country. I mean not even the anticapitalists or Green make the effort to throw in as many females as males. Sad.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2016, 01:33:24 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2016, 08:02:14 AM by ObserverIE »

RedC for the Sunday Business Post:

FG 28 (-2)
SF 20 (+3)
FF 18 (-)
Ind/Oth 16 (-)
Lab 8 (-)
SD 4 (+1)
SP/SWP 3 (-1)
GP 2 (-)
Renua 1 (-1)

Apparently political insiders and the media are surprised, even shocked, by this result, which has followed a week of co-ordinated attacks against Sinn Féin over the issue of the Special Criminal Court (a non-jury court set up under emergency legislation in 1972 and which largely deals with trials of republican - now dissident republican - paramilitaries).

Its current relevance is because a leading "republican" figure in south Armagh/north Louth was tried and convicted in the SCC a couple of weeks ago for tax evasion offences. The convicted man, Thomas "Slab" Murphy, was influential in securing acceptance for the peace process among the IRA in south Armagh, and Gerry Adams described him as a "good republican" after the conviction and said, along with other senior SF figures, that Murphy shouldn't have been tried before the SCC, which SF want to abolish in any case.

This produced a wave of concerted and largely synthetic outrage from the three other main parties, led by FG, and with enthusiastic support from RTÉ and [REDACTED]-owned Independent Newspapers. One RTÉ journalist (Claire Byrne) actually announced on the radio this lunchtime that the Special Criminal Court was the only important issue in the election.

The trial judge announced yesterday that the verdict sentencing in the Murphy case would be announced on February 26th - the day of the election.

Anyone who remembers the media sh*tstorm over the Máiria Cahill allegations last year, accompanied by the same tag-team attacks by the "traditional" parties and the media, might recall that the chief effect of the furore was to increase support for SF in the opinion polls.

Middle-class south Dublin, where the media and political commentariat reside, may well be terrified of the barbarians at the gate, but the world beyond has lost all trust in the political and media establishment. If they have any sense at all, they will move onto another topic, and move on quickly.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2016, 01:42:57 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2016, 01:45:18 PM by DavidB. »

What is the background of this [REDACTED] stuff all the time?

And how will the government look like if FG and Labour fall short of a majority by far (meaning that convincing some independents won't be enough)? Which scenarios are most likely? How likely is FF-SF?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies