Irish general election, 26th Feb 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:31:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish general election, 26th Feb 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Irish general election, 26th Feb 2016  (Read 98656 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: July 22, 2015, 02:30:12 PM »

What are the chances of a Fine Gael-Fianna Fail Coalition?  Labour has recovered from their depths in recent months but if they fall again is it possible the two center right parties will team up despite their historical animosity to keep out Gerry Adams? I can't see Fianna Fail ever willing to be the junior partner is a coalition.

At the same time is there any real talk about a possible Fianna Fail-Sinn Fein deal?  Thats probably Michael Martin's only shot at becoming Taoiseach at this rate
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 05:21:41 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2015, 05:25:04 PM by Green Line »

What are the chances of a Fine Gael-Fianna Fail Coalition?  Labour has recovered from their depths in recent months but if they fall again is it possible the two center right parties will team up despite their historical animosity to keep out Gerry Adams? I can't see Fianna Fail ever willing to be the junior partner is a coalition.

At the same time is there any real talk about a possible Fianna Fail-Sinn Fein deal?  Thats probably Michael Martin's only shot at becoming Taoiseach at this rate

Whilst I'm no expert on Irish politics, I imagine that a coalition between Fine Gael and Fianna Fail would likely destroy the latter for good, given that, based off the current polls, it's unlikely that FF would be the larger party in a putative coalition. However, given the historical animosity between the two parties and their supporters, I find it unlikely that the two could form a coalition anyway.

The Irish party system really is a strange and complex thing.  After studying it for some months I still dont really understand what substantive differences FF and FG have with each other.  FF just seems to oppose everything FG does reflexively because history.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »

Is there any particular reason as to why Fianna Fáil are polling a little bit better (and ahead of Sinn Fein) than they were a few months ago?

I think Sinn Feinn lost a little bit of its support after the furor over the water charges died down. They were riding high before then. Some of their support probably shifted back to FF, who was only half heartedly opposing the water charges.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 02:03:37 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2016, 02:05:58 AM by Green Line »

I am unconvinced that independents will not form the largest group in the next Dáil.

The independent numbers have dropped significantly as the election has drawn closer.  

"Other" was 13% of the vote in 2011 (and was polling at 15%-16% up to the election).  The past three December polls have put it at 18%-19%.  There's no way they are overtaking the three main parties with those numbers.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 02:45:05 PM »

Averil Power and Claire Underwood have an uncanny resemblance.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 12:28:47 PM »

What a weird woman from AAA on RTÉ.
She sounded like she was on drugs.

Irish politicians are much more open and less scripted than Americans.  It's refreshing
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies