Are all the mods starting to remind you of Inks?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:30:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are all the mods starting to remind you of Inks?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are all the mods starting to remind you of Inks?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Are all the mods starting to remind you of Inks?  (Read 2942 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2015, 09:57:37 AM »

Definitely.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 10:21:44 AM »

No. Take this crap to AAD where it belongs.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »

No (AAD user)

Get help.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 10:29:37 AM »

I don't get the outrage from some posters, Some of these people seem to spend most of their time TRYING to find new ways to piss off the moderators, Then when the moderators do react those same people act like victims.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 11:04:44 AM »

I don't get the outrage from some posters, Some of these people seem to spend most of their time TRYING to find new ways to piss off the moderators, Then when the moderators do react those same people act like victims.

This, exactly. It's overtly antagonistic.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 11:58:57 AM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 05:53:34 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 05:59:11 PM »

To give a more original reply, BRTD - if all the mods were polled individually, do you seriously think that many would be under 50%? Most of them are actually pretty decent. I'd say at least half of them would have majority approval.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 10:14:10 AM »

A sociopath used someone's mental illness to violate the privacy of multiple Atlas posters and steal data from a restricted area of this site. And yet, somehow, it's the Atlas moderators that took action to stop them who are the bad guys.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 03:53:30 PM »

A sociopath used someone's mental illness to violate the privacy of multiple Atlas posters and steal data from a restricted area of this site. And yet, somehow, it's the Atlas moderators that took action to stop them who are the bad guys.

No one is criticising the moderators for banning the sociopath. What is being criticised, I thing, is the view some moderators have apparently taken of holding the person with the mental illness fully responsible despite, well, their mental illness. And then a third person whose role in facilitating this has not been fully explained.

I, personally, don't blame the mods for being angry-- as I explained earlier, I understand that being angry with having personal and sensitive information leaked, and being misled as to the source of that leak, is a perfectly normal reaction. But I object to the tone coming from some, mainly you and Nym, that seems to completely disregard just how Tweed took advantage of BK's mental issues, which BK had described to Tweed in detail, and BK's compulsive desire, stemming from those issues, to seek approval and to be liked by others-- as BK explained. I don't even necessarily disagree with a ban, but the idea it could be permanent rather than temporary until BK gets better, seems excessive, even callous.

I guess it fundamentally boil down to whether you see BaconKing as a victim or as an overt actor in all this. I think it quite clear that he is a victim, and should not be subjected to some kind of punitive action.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »

Some folks trying to turn Tweed into some sort of a martyr is just pathetic.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 05:24:13 PM »

No one is criticising the moderators for banning the sociopath. What is being criticised, I thing, is the view some moderators have apparently taken of holding the person with the mental illness fully responsible despite, well, their mental illness. And then a third person whose role in facilitating this has not been fully explained.

These decisions simply require time and conversation.  The question of how to deal with an abuse of trust mitigated by mental illness is really complicated, even when all the facts are established.  I doubt anyone has reached a fully-formed conclusion. 

However, here's the thing: we can either have instant transparency, or you can have fully-formed explanations and arguments.  Both are not possible.  I think the Mod Team has previously erred toward waiting for transparency until final decisions are reached.  I don't think that model is working, and it's time to be more transparent.  But that means the membership needs to understand that conversations are ongoing, and not get upset when they see the Mod Team still researching or considering.

I, personally, don't blame the mods for being angry-- as I explained earlier, I understand that being angry with having personal and sensitive information leaked, and being misled as to the source of that leak, is a perfectly normal reaction. But I object to the tone coming from some, mainly you and Nym, that seems to completely disregard just how Tweed took advantage of BK's mental issues, which BK had described to Tweed in detail, and BK's compulsive desire, stemming from those issues, to seek approval and to be liked by others-- as BK explained. I don't even necessarily disagree with a ban, but the idea it could be permanent rather than temporary until BK gets better, seems excessive, even callous.

I guess it fundamentally boil down to whether you see BaconKing as a victim or as an overt actor in all this. I think it quite clear that he is a victim, and should not be subjected to some kind of punitive action.

Two points here:

1. Be careful not to confuse being fatigued with being callous.  This was exhausting, and we've already researched/discussed this incident a lot.  After a while of discussing something, it's really easy to come across as unemotional.  That doesn't mean there isn't sympathy.

2. Be careful not to confuse being clinical with being callous, either.  All of us really like Bacon King, and recognize that mental illness affects decision-making.  However, there is a grey area of culpability where someone is intellectually capable of understanding an action is wrong, and has consequences, but feels the impulse to do it again.  Even in criminal law, those people are at least partially culpable.  It's complicated and will require a dispassionate analysis, especially considering it involves someone who we're all sympathetic to.  Dispassionate doesn't mean unsympathetic, and we'll do our best to strike the balance between sympathy and responsibility.

Hope that seems reasonable?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 12:09:11 AM »

Good to see useless empty-quoting still has a home here.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 04:07:16 AM »

Empty quoting is a fine Atlas tradition. Dunno why it is so unpopular.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 06:17:12 AM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 10:02:52 AM »

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 10:48:48 AM »

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 02:10:54 PM »

"a fine Atlas tradition" = adding nothing of value to a discussion but taking up real resources

yeah sounds about right
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 03:40:35 PM »

A sociopath used someone's mental illnessto violate the privacy of multiple Atlas posters and steal data from a restricted area of this site. And yet, somehow, it's the Atlas moderators that took action to stop them who are the bad guys.

I keep seeing this. I'm curious what the evidence is. BK explicitly said this did not happen. The rest of your post, sure, I get why you're not happy. But this spin you're putting on it is silly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies