Dems Only- Stickin' together
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:45:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Dems Only- Stickin' together
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dems Only- Stickin' together  (Read 4775 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2005, 10:19:21 AM »

Welcome to the thread in which we will discuss how we can assure Democratic wins in Presidential Survivor. I think we need to email more democrats on other parts of the site and tell them about Presidential survivor. That way we can get a bigger turnout.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 10:48:34 AM »

It sucks that they are getting Carter, LBJ, and FDR but we can't get a single modern republican
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 11:20:45 AM »

Carter is indefensible.  A complete slam-dunk for the bottom five.

LBJ was a reaction to Democrats rallying against Bush.  I had voted Nixon the round before and was going to vote Nixon again until the Democrats went after Bush.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 12:27:34 PM »

LBJ was a reaction to Democrats rallying against Bush.  I had voted Nixon the round before and was going to vote Nixon again until the Democrats went after Bush.
No Democrat except LBJ got a vote in that round. Several Republicans did. Doesn't sound as if Dems had reacted to Reps.
I had voted Nixon the rounds before and was going to vote Nixon again until the Republicans chose to rally all out against the best President of the last 60 years.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 02:05:01 PM »

No Democrat except LBJ got a vote in that round. Several Republicans did. Doesn't sound as if Dems had reacted to Reps.
I had voted Nixon the rounds before and was going to vote Nixon again until the Republicans chose to rally all out against the best President of the last 60 years.

They are just pulling partisanship bullcrap. what we need to do is find other people and get them to join. Its the only chance we got since the reps. obviously cant tell a good president from a hole in the ground.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 02:10:42 PM »

If Carter is bottom 5, Bush is definitely bottom 5.
FDR is the best President we ever had, and you partisans are about to vote him off?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 02:11:11 PM »

The most likely Democratic winners include Thomas Jefferson and Harry Truman. The chief Republican threat is probably Theodore Roosevelt. (Lincoln seems to have quite a bit of opposition from the Republicans of the forum.)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 02:58:50 PM »

The problem is there's more Republicans. If you assume the parties kind of started aligning the modern way in 1908, after this round (where I assume FDR will be voted off), 4 out of 7 modern Democrats will be voted off, and 1 of 10 modern Republicans. I've never met a Harding fan anyways. Admittedly, Eisenhower is a bit of a RINO.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 03:00:52 PM »

WHOOOO! I'm in the Dems only club house!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 06:24:09 PM »

I'm not sure I want to participate in any pacts with fellow Democrats until this Pennsylvania Democrat scandal is cleared up.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 06:30:20 PM »

Modern Republicans that you could easily vote off: Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, George H.W. Bush
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 07:33:51 PM »

Modern Republicans that you could easily vote off: Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, George H.W. Bush

All much better than George W. Bush. We'll get to Nixon in like 8 more rounds. At the rate we're going with FDR and LBJ being voted off,, Eisenhower will  be the best remaining President soon.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 07:41:49 PM »

You said we couldn't knock a single modern Republican off.

What about Teddy Roosevelt, Grover Cleveland, and Harry Truman?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2005, 07:42:18 PM »

I don't think that we should shed too many tears over FDR's apparently imminent loss. One must recall, firstly, that the New Deal was actually very ineffective. It was not the New Deal that brought the U.S. out of the Great Depression; it was World War II. Secondly, FDR was responsible for a very ill-advised court packing scheme. Thirdly, he countenanced the internment of several innocent Americans merely because of their racial origin. For these reasons, I could never rank FDR as the United States's or the Democratic Party's greatest president. And I say this even though I am myself a Democrat.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 07:47:34 PM »

Indeed. Although I am idealogically libertarian (fairly liberal on social issues, right of center on social issues), the Libertarian Party is much too extreme for me. I prefer to support the Democrats instead.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 07:53:08 PM »

Indeed. Although I am ideologically libertarian (fairly liberal on social issues, right of center on social issues), the Libertarian Party is much too extreme for me. I prefer to support the Democrats instead.
Then why the yellow avatar?
It's not as an identification of my party, but as one of my ideology.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 08:02:18 PM »

Indeed. Although I am ideologically libertarian (fairly liberal on social issues, right of center on social issues), the Libertarian Party is much too extreme for me. I prefer to support the Democrats instead.
Then why the yellow avatar?
It's not as an identification of my party, but as one of my ideology.
Well, I can appreciate your making a statement about being a libertarian Democrat but the yellow avatar clearly makes you appear to be a Libertarian Party supporter from New Jersey.
In that case, I have changed from yellow to red Wink
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 08:11:18 PM »

BTW, I believe the Democrats offer the best hope of advancing libertarian ideals in the forseeable future.
I completely agree. The Republican Party has become far too concerned with imposing arbitrary "moral" standards on society.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 08:14:32 PM »

The Democratic Party is absolutely anti-libertarian in just about everyway. Anyone who supports them is not a libertarian of any kind.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 08:16:43 PM »

The Democratic Party is absolutely anti-libertarian in just about everyway. Anyone who supports them is not a libertarian of any kind.
Every way? On economic issues, perhaps, but definitely not on social ones. It is the Republican Party that is more opposed to libertarianism.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 08:18:16 PM »

I don't think that we should shed too many tears over FDR's apparently imminent loss. One must recall, firstly, that the New Deal was actually very ineffective. It was not the New Deal that brought the U.S. out of the Great Depression; it was World War II. Secondly, FDR was responsible for a very ill-advised court packing scheme. Thirdly, he countenanced the internment of several innocent Americans merely because of their racial origin. For these reasons, I could never rank FDR as the United States's or the Democratic Party's greatest president. And I say this even though I am myself a Democrat.

Every President has their faults, I think FDR is still the greeatest.

Counter points:
1. FDR won WW II
2. While the court packing scheme was a bad idea, it should be noted that they were declaring everything unconstitutional for a while. I suppose FDR should have just passed the New Deal as a Constitutional Amendement instead
3. The internment is a valid point
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2005, 08:19:13 PM »

Yeah, those Republicans in TN who wanted to ban gays are the true libertarians.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2005, 08:23:53 PM »

Every way? On economic issues, perhaps, but definitely not on social ones. It is the Republican Party that is more opposed to libertarianism.

Raising taxes, nationalized health care, judges that will allow the Congress to do anything it wants, banning guns, Brady Bill, assault weapons ban, opposition to privatizing Social Security, opposition to a flat tax, opposition to tort reform, opposition to bankruptcy reform.

They do absolutely nothing except oppose libertarianism at every step of the way.

Just about everyone in Congress who supports legalizing drugs is a Republican. Just about everyone who wants to cut taxes is a Republican.

No, a stupid constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, gay marriage being something just about every Democrat elected opposes anyway, does not count as being more anti-libertarian than all of this.

What social issues are they libertarian on? They certainly don't support legalizing prostitution and drugs. They certainly don't support states' rights, or decentralizing power, thus giving people more choices and control of their lives.

It's not "perhaps" on economic issues. It is an absolute. Trying to raise taxes and socialize society is not libertarian.

They oppose every kind of realistic libertarian progress that may come about at any time in the near future at all. There is nothing in the party for real libertarians.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2005, 08:28:01 PM »

Yeah, those Republicans in TN who wanted to ban gays are the true libertarians.

Didn't say that, though those Republicans have no actual power in the party.

All hope for letting states control social issues, getting a flat tax, reforming Social Security and Medicare, getting right to carry laws across the United States through, banning lawsuits against gun manufactures for misuse, and getting an originalist majority on the Supreme Court flows through the Republican Party before it touches the Democrats.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2005, 08:28:37 PM »

The GOP under Bush is morphing into a big government, anti-states' rights organization. Therefore libertarians have no place to go (outside of the LP). It's not the ideal situation.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies