uber vs taxis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:00:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  uber vs taxis
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: uber vs taxis
uber

taxis

don't care

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: uber vs taxis  (Read 2576 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2015, 02:29:45 AM »

I'm sure some of you are familiar with the issue.  If not, googled it for you.  I'm in the funk Taxis in the ass camp.  Not because any hate towards taxis, taxi drivers or taxi companies, but because it's an outdated, corrupt, over regulated and non-efficient industry.  I'm sure the statists and authoritarians disagree.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 03:02:31 AM »

I voted 'don't care,' because regardless of the company operating cabs, cabs themselves are an inefficient method of transport that cause increased traffic problems and increase carbon emissions. Public transit needs to be expanded to replace the need of cabs.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 05:40:25 AM »

Uber (not a fan of assholes who abuse their oligopoly position in every possible way).
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 06:21:40 AM »

I'm sure some of you are familiar with the issue.  If not, googled it for you.  I'm in the funk Taxis in the ass camp.  Not because any hate towards taxis, taxi drivers or taxi companies, but because it's an outdated, corrupt, over regulated and non-efficient industry.  I'm sure the statists and authoritarians disagree.

I think the taxi system needs to be overhauled, and a lot of the regulatory structure is inefficient and counterproductive, but I also don't wind up coming down on the Uber side for basically the same reason I wouldn't come down on the Airbnb side versus hotels. There are reasons that we want some regulations and the associated accountability.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 06:32:21 AM »

Uber customers and Uber employers don't seem to mind much.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 06:38:23 AM »

I mean, the ones who've been assaulted or kidnapped would likely disagree.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 07:21:26 AM »

Thank the deity of your choice that those things NEVER happens to cabbies or, you know, just regular folk driving around.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 07:22:22 AM »

oh, and Fox News is more balanced than that site.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 07:25:26 AM »

I'm not claiming it's balanced, I was just looking for a quick reference to some of the allegations made.

Point is, Uber and Lyft have disclaimed responsibility because its drivers are all independent contractors and so the companies are not accountable for their actions, whereas taxi companies have an interest in (a mandate to) bonding and insuring their drivers.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 07:30:37 AM »

I think its clear Uber is the winner. Its a voluntary service that is proven more effective, easier, free-er than taxis, though I still don't know a lot about it. It also adds diversity to transportation of people and its effects on the economy, which is always good.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 07:44:14 AM »

I'm not claiming it's balanced, I was just looking for a quick reference to some of the allegations made.

Point is, Uber and Lyft have disclaimed responsibility because its drivers are all independent contractors and so the companies are not accountable for their actions, whereas taxi companies have an interest in (a mandate to) bonding and insuring their drivers.
All Uber drivers are insured by Uber when they are "on the clock" (have the app on).  When the app is not on, their regular insurance covers them.

Obviously Uber isn't perfect, nothing is.  I have issues with some of their policies and actions, but the taxi people are worse.  Again, it's not their fault (well it is when they beat up Uber drivers, trash their vehicles, or block the roads in a hissy fit) as it's the system that's broken.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 07:46:09 AM »

All Uber drivers are insured by Uber when they are "on the clock" (have the app on).  When the app is not on, their regular insurance covers them.

Obviously Uber isn't perfect, nothing is.  I have issues with some of their policies and actions, but the taxi people are worse.  Again, it's not their fault (well it is when they beat up Uber drivers, trash their vehicles, or block the roads in a hissy fit) as it's the system that's broken.

Yeah, I'm basically in the same place, except that I wouldn't diagnose it so much as one side being "worse" than the other, per se. I think that there's a space in the middle that someone needs to get to.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 08:18:51 AM »

Uber. Its cheaper and you dont have to tip.  Sometimes you can get a really fancy towncar or luxury vehicle and pretend to be somebody important for 5 minutes
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 08:39:07 AM »

Uber. It built a better mousetrap, and the Taxis are using the time-honored technique of getting a politician in your pocket and trying to get them to outlaw your competition.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 10:11:53 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2015, 10:35:31 AM by Maxwell »

Uber by a million. The fact politicians want to save the dumb Taxi industry and the medallion system makes Uber even better. Every Uber driver I've met is a nice person who enjoys what they do and every Taxi driver I've met is cold and distant.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 10:18:26 AM »

Uber all the way. Much easier to summon than a taxi, and the taxis where I live have started tacking on an absolutely BS "per person" fee when a group shares a taxi.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »

Uber all the way. Much easier to summon than a taxi, and the taxis where I live have started tacking on an absolutely BS "per person" fee when a group shares a taxi.

Lol what the hell?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 11:05:40 AM »

Lol what the hell?

The cab companies don't want a bunch of drunk college students coming back from downtown who don't know each other to pool their money for one taxi instead of three or four taxis so they're charging a small fee for each extra person in a taxi.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 11:19:07 AM »

Uber is very innovative, and I support the concept of Uber, but they need to follow the same rules and regulations of the taxi industry, because they can call Uber cars whatever they want, but they are still taxis.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 12:42:08 PM »

Uber is very innovative, and I support the concept of Uber, but they need to follow the same rules and regulations of the taxi industry, because they can call Uber cars whatever they want, but they are still taxis.

The whole reason Uber is innovative is that it DOESN'T follow the same rules and regulations as the Taxi Industry. Supporting the concept of Uber and making them follow those regulations means you don't support Uber.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 01:11:55 PM »

Taxi regulations exist for the benefits of a cartel, not the benefit of the public.

Make people get a background check and pay something nominal like $100 for a taxi/uber driver license, and call it a day.  That seems like all the regulation you need.  If a taxi service is bad, they'll lose customers.  That's the easiest type of regulation ever.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 01:24:33 PM »

Fwiwi I don't consider it a huge "innovation" (in the same sense I wouldn't consider a cafe that refuses to hygiene regulations innovative), but I do think the regulations are mostly bunk. I do feel sorry for the drivers of course, who lose their livelihood; but it of course should be coopted with governmental assistance for those left jobless.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 06:40:39 PM »

While I agree that most taxi regulations are ridiculous gatekeeping strategies, Uber still has some issues to resolve before I can totally embrace them. Of particular concern are their actions in cities where they have competitors and their employee vs. contractor issue. Still, they seem like an interesting new concept and I'm eager to see how it goes.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 06:42:23 PM »

Lyft is even better than Uber.  Sometimes the drivers give out candy. Cant beat that
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 06:45:29 PM »

Uber (not a fan of assholes who abuse their oligopoly position in every possible way).

I'm pleasantly surprised.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies