Ted Cruz calls Mitch McConnell a Flat-Out Liar in Senate Speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:05:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Ted Cruz calls Mitch McConnell a Flat-Out Liar in Senate Speech
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ted Cruz calls Mitch McConnell a Flat-Out Liar in Senate Speech  (Read 869 times)
yankeesfan
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2015, 10:56:18 AM »

washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/07/24/the-exceptional-campaign-timing-of-ted-cruzs-ferocious-floor-speech/

"Ferocious speech" is apt phrasing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:10:38 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2015, 04:22:26 PM by Torie »

Putting aside the incendiary language, and while admitting I am not familiar with the case for the Import-Export bank, and not knowing whether or not McConnell made misrepresentations to the Pub Senators, I otherwise, absent knowing the other side's position, agree with every word Cruz said about the Export-Import Bank, and that it is corporate welfare, secured with oceans of campaign cash to buy votes for it. Well done Cruz!

Googling around, McConnell's office said he has no response at the moment to the lying charge.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 02:46:42 PM »

There is clearly a wing of the GOP that likes outsiders and hates politicians.  Cruz is being outpolled by Carson and Trump. Perhaps - even though he rails against the 'Washington cartel' - the Tea Partiers still see "Senator" next to his name and lump him in with the rest of the evil politicians.

In all seriousness, Cruz' best shot at winning may actually be to resign his position as a Senator. Make a big show of it. Denounce all of the GOP establishment on the steps of congress and light his Senate ID card on fire.
yankeesfan
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »

That's be an unprecedented action and would light up the news-wires.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »

There is clearly a wing of the GOP that likes outsiders and hates politicians.  Cruz is being outpolled by Carson and Trump. Perhaps - even though he rails against the 'Washington cartel' - the Tea Partiers still see "Senator" next to his name and lump him in with the rest of the evil politicians.

In all seriousness, Cruz' best shot at winning may actually be to resign his position as a Senator. Make a big show of it. Denounce all of the GOP establishment on the steps of congress and light his Senate ID card on fire.

I don't know how much a difference that would make. On the Democratic side, the outsider candidate has been in Congress for the last 24 years, while the insider candidate is unemployed.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »

That's be an unprecedented action and would light up the news-wires.
At this point, nothing he can do will take the spotlight away from The Donald, and even if he does, Trump will say or do something outrageous to take the spotlight back within 48 hours.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »

Resigning from your current job isn't unprecedented entirely. Bob Dole resigned from the Senate back in 1996 after he wrapped up the GOP nomination. And some POTUS candidates have pledged not to run for reelection for their current jobs, for example Marco Rubio.  Not sure about anyone resigning from the Senate during the nomination fight.

As for Dems liking outsiders in Congress, that makes sense because Dems have more respect for government. But Tea Partiers are famed for 'get your government hands off my Medicare' They hate government. Right now Trump and Carson have over a 1/3 of the stated support. And let's not forget Herman Cain's rise to the top. There is a big appeal on the right to genuine outsiders and it could be that no matter how much he tries, Senator Cruz cant get that stink of government (notably Federal Government) off.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »

Cruz shouldn't resign; that would be Palin-esque of him, and not help his cause.  I don't agree with the resignation strategy, as it then makes Cruz look less serious than he is.

If I buy into the idea that Trump "isn't serious" (which I don't), Cruz is the  "Serious Trump".  He's dignified and he's intelligent, and a lot of folks that thought they "had him" on an issue have found that he's a nimble target.  Cruz is the Real Meal Deal for the Tea Party, much more so than Rand Paul and (the "Poser") Marco Rubio.  He's a guy that isn't bleeding any support, whereas Paul, Rubio, and a few others have taken real hits since Trump's entry into the race.  If Trump self-destructs, just quits, or proves to not have staying power for one reason or another, Cruz will probably benefit the most from this.

I've grown to respect Cruz.  He's principled, even if he's a bomb-thrower, and people may conclude in 50 years that some of Cruz's bombs needed throwing.  He didn't jump on the Trump moralizing freight train, and I respect that.  He's got more character than a lot of folks in the race.

I don't know how much a difference that would make. On the Democratic side, the outsider candidate has been in Congress for the last 24 years, while the insider candidate is unemployed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies