US Preparing to Release Convicted Spy Jonathan Pollard
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:32:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US Preparing to Release Convicted Spy Jonathan Pollard
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US Preparing to Release Convicted Spy Jonathan Pollard  (Read 951 times)
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2015, 03:00:32 PM »

Link.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 03:09:32 PM »

Shameful caving to Israel. He should be executed, not released
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »

The idea that releasing Pollard would improve relations with Israel is fanciful. He certainly won't be released before November which is when he would be up for a possible parole.

How about an exchange? Pollard can go to Israel if they allow Mordechai Vanunu to leave Israel.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 03:29:49 PM »

The idea that releasing Pollard would improve relations with Israel is fanciful. He certainly won't be released before November which is when he would be up for a possible parole.

How about an exchange? Pollard can go to Israel if they allow Mordechai Vanunu to leave Israel.

The odds are all the administration will do is not oppose Pollard's parole like they were likely to. That allows them to give the impression of doing Israel a favor while in fact just not actively working against their interests.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 04:16:16 PM »

Uh, no. As annoying as Israeli spying can be, I don't think we should be shooting spies. If we did that, God knows what they'd do to patriots like Edward Snowden.
Hydera

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 04:37:26 PM »

Any bullsh**t that releasing them will somehow "improve US-Israel relations" is a joker. This will be forgotten in no time.

In the long trend, doing so will only give a message to the Israelis that they can step over their friends and nothing bad will happen to them.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 05:43:01 PM »

He was eligible for parole. It's not like the White House or the Justice Department actively decided to let him out of jail.

In situations like this, I think the logical thing is to strip him of his citizenship and deport him to any country that will have him (presumably Israel). He was basically just a Fifth Columnist anyway. No sense keeping him around.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 10:39:45 PM »

Pollard has spent 30 years in prison.  If he is sent to Israel,  I would have no problem.

I don't condone what he did, but he HAS been SEVERELY punished.  It's a gesture that would help our relations with Israel, which I am for.  At the same time, it would be a reminder to folks that Israel, an ALLY of the United States, spied on us using a Government employee with the highest security clearance.  Bibi Netanyahu needs to SPECIFICALLY apologize for that act.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 12:08:39 AM »

He was eligible for parole. It's not like the White House or the Justice Department actively decided to let him out of jail.

In situations like this, I think the logical thing is to strip him of his citizenship and deport him to any country that will have him (presumably Israel). He was basically just a Fifth Columnist anyway. No sense keeping him around.

Just like everyone in AIPAC. Enemies of the State who would gladly undermine American interests to serve at the behest of a foreign government.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 04:37:58 AM »

This is a big issue in Israel. It will probably help Obama with the Israeli public and make Netanyahu look stupid. I'm for it.

I'm also for being lenient with spies from friendly nations in any case.

So I approve.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »

gtfo
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: