Has anyone talked about changing the legal immigration process?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:31:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Has anyone talked about changing the legal immigration process?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has anyone talked about changing the legal immigration process?  (Read 871 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2015, 01:00:58 AM »

All these candidates talk about trying to solve and cut down on illegal immigration, but I rarely see them talk about stuff that's causing the illegal immigration to happen. Perhaps there can be a discussion on reforming the immigration system all together, instead of just talking about securing the border. What do you all think?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 01:30:55 AM »

"Securing the border" would result in increased racial profiling in the Southwest and mistreatment of immigrants. The border is about as secure as it's going to get. The only practical solution regarding the population of undocumented immigrants is to grant them citizenship. While a policy of immediate open borders isn't feasible, we ought to accept more refugees along the lines of the Swedish system, and gradually increase the amount of immigrants we accept into the country as a means of recognizing universal human rights over the muh lines on a map attitude that holds too much weight in the immigration debate.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 09:20:54 AM »

All these candidates talk about trying to solve and cut down on illegal immigration, but I rarely see them talk about stuff that's causing the illegal immigration to happen. Perhaps there can be a discussion on reforming the immigration system all together, instead of just talking about securing the border. What do you all think?

There is one candidate.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/02/04/jeb_bush_we_ought_to_dramatically_expand_immigrants_that_are_coming_to_work.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree we should have an immigration system where folks who can contribute to our economy should be invited to legally immigrate here.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:57:06 AM »

Walker has gone after legal immigration. Cruz attacked him from the left.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 10:07:50 AM »

Walker has gone after legal immigration. Cruz attacked him from the left.

Neither can win a general election. Especially Cruz.
whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »

The Democrats.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 07:23:44 PM »

Kasich has basically said, "I will not rule out a path to citizenship. I want a bipartisan deal. This issue is bigger than one politician, one party." That's as verbatim as I can recall, and the bigger quote is close to right I think.

He also says that ninety percent of the border is secured or can easily be secured with modern technology, and the remaining ten percent would slowly be secured. It's not a priority because most of it is over desert.

To be honest, even Trump hasn't ruled out amnesty. He just insults illegal aliens.

Graham is pro-Grahamnesty.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 09:37:28 PM »

There is one candidate.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/02/04/jeb_bush_we_ought_to_dramatically_expand_immigrants_that_are_coming_to_work.html

I agree we should have an immigration system where folks who can contribute to our economy should be invited to legally immigrate here.

He thinks it would be bad if we ended up like Europe and Japan, with their lower crime rates and higher standards of living. He would rather we import a mass of poor people who will fight for the chance to work for lower wages.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 10:39:09 PM »

"Securing the border" would result in increased racial profiling in the Southwest and mistreatment of immigrants. The border is about as secure as it's going to get. The only practical solution regarding the population of undocumented immigrants is to grant them citizenship. While a policy of immediate open borders isn't feasible, we ought to accept more refugees along the lines of the Swedish system, and gradually increase the amount of immigrants we accept into the country as a means of recognizing universal human rights over the muh lines on a map attitude that holds too much weight in the immigration debate.

...Right.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 01:17:35 AM »

There is one candidate.

He thinks it would be bad if we ended up like Europe and Japan, with their lower crime rates and higher standards of living. He would rather we import a mass of poor people who will fight for the chance to work for lower wages.

I love how this statement show how clueless you are. You would rather the US be like Europe or Japan? Have you noticed how their economy is doing? You realize that is the case because of an aging demographic structure that doesn't have enough people working and paying into the entitlement programs for the elderly, don't you? Additionally, in Europe most of the immigrants they let in are refugees. That is not something the US should emulate either.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 01:33:58 PM »

The bipartisan Senate bill from 2013 had various reforms to the legal immigration system, along with the new status for illegal immigrants that got most of the attention. I would assume these would stay part of the bill if this ever gets revived.

There were a whole bunch of changes to various statuses, but broadly the effect would have been to decrease low-skill immigration and increase high-skill immigration.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 05:33:43 PM »

Kate's Law needs to be passed
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »