Amendment to the Constitutions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:32:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Amendment to the Constitutions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Amendment to the Constitutions  (Read 1717 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2015, 05:53:23 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsored by Rpyor and Cris
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2015, 09:57:31 AM by Senator Cris »

This is the current text:

This is the amendment presented:

I'm fully behind this amendment. Reaching the necessary signatures in each region is very hard and I think that the Senate should have the power to do something.
However, according to the amendment, a majority of the Senate shall show their support for a Convention. Then the President shall call the Convention with the consent of the Senate (that means a Senate vote). Then the Convention shall be costituted under regulations determined by the Senate. I think it's tortuous, what do you think?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 10:18:23 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2015, 11:02:13 AM by Senator Cris »

It's not an amendment, just a suggestion.

What do you think?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 11:48:38 PM »

On the one hand, I would say the amendment makes a convention much too easy to call. On the other hand, anything coming from a convention must still be approved as any amendment. I am ambivalent about this.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 02:40:12 PM »

While the work on signatures has been active and it's not of the question to reach them, I think the current mechanisms do make it incredibly hard to call a convention, even it's beyond evident that one is needed. Indeed, we might have spared Atlasia from some troubles had we been able to call for one during the early Duke Administration.

In that sense, I don't see why the Senate should not be allowed to call for a convention, and Cris's mechanism doesn't override the President since it allows him the veto power he can use on other pieces of legislation.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »

I support Cris's amendment
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 03:38:21 PM »

I'd like to present this amendment:

Senators have 36 hours to object.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 04:05:57 PM »

If only the President and a majority of the Senate are needed to call a convention, then a convention is as easy to pass as any bill, which I don't think is right.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »

If only the President and a majority of the Senate are needed to call a convention, then a convention is as easy to pass as any bill, which I don't think is right.
It's an objection to the amendment?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 10:12:49 PM »

Cris, so that I can understand you correctly here, instead of adding the ability of the Senate to call a convention on its own like the underlying amendment, your amendment offered above merely removes the ability of the Senate to block a convention called by the regions. Is this the accurate reading of the text and is your intended change?

Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 01:52:50 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2015, 11:03:15 AM by Speaker Cris »

Cris, so that I can understand you correctly here, instead of adding the ability of the Senate to call a convention on its own like the underlying amendment, your amendment offered above merely removes the ability of the Senate to block a convention called by the regions. Is this the accurate reading of the text and is your intended change?

It is adding the ability of the Senate to call a ConCon (it's not present in the current constitution) and at the same time is removing the ability of the Senate to block a ConCon called by the regions.
But if this passage (removing the ability of the Senate to block a ConCon called by the regions), it can be fixed with another amendment.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 03:43:10 AM »

The amendment has been adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 11:37:12 PM »

Thats why I was confused, because it seemd to me your latest amendment removed the ability of the Senate to call a con-con.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 08:21:52 AM »

Bump
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 11:59:19 PM »

When it comes to the Senate calling a Con-Con there was some resistance to a majority threshold. Would we be able to get the necessary support for passage for this amendment, if that threshold were raised? Since I am assuming we still have to add that back in, now would be the best time to debate the matter.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 03:00:33 AM »

Senators?
I'm ok with the current treshold (simple majority of sitting senators). What do you think?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 01:18:17 AM »

In my capacity as Emperor, I was often frustrated by the Senate's tendency to propose amendments that had no hope of passing, as it wastes the time of those people who we are supposed to serve. If there is serious concern over this amendment's ability to pass, I would suggest increasing the threshold.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 12:12:51 PM »

Two thirds would be too high, I think. A majority already involves six Senators, and since it's virtually impossible for any single party to win that number said majority would already suggest a degree of consensus on the matter.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 01:45:57 PM »

I don't really care either way, but I think the public expects this to pass quickly so whatever we do we should do it soon.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 02:52:34 AM »

Two thirds would be too high, I think. A majority already involves six Senators, and since it's virtually impossible for any single party to win that number said majority would already suggest a degree of consensus on the matter.

I recall Labor recently having six Senators, albeit for a brief time. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 03:13:05 AM »

Unless it is a left of center party, they don't have the same limitation. Wink
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 02:05:58 PM »

Bump.
I'm ok with the simple majority, but if someone wants to present an amendement, it's welcomed. But let's do it quickly.
If there won't be new amendments and discussion, I'll motion for a final vote tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 10:25:19 PM »

Bump.
I'm ok with the simple majority, but if someone wants to present an amendement, it's welcomed. But let's do it quickly.
If there won't be new amendments and discussion, I'll motion for a final vote tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

I second this, the more time we wait the worse, because the situation is all but improving.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 03:06:21 AM »

Though I am in favor of reform, I must say stacking so much on some massive reform being the magic bullet was always dangerous because everyone has their own minimum expectations nad elevating to such an extent posing a big risk should it pass and not deliver results.

That said I am fine with a simple majority and will do my best to get that passed in the Senate. I would recommend though that the text be read one last time to look for anything that might incure opposition or cause problems when it ghoes to the regions.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 03:53:34 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2015, 09:08:24 AM by Speaker Cris »

Though I am in favor of reform, I must say stacking so much on some massive reform being the magic bullet was always dangerous because everyone has their own minimum expectations nad elevating to such an extent posing a big risk should it pass and not deliver results.

That said I am fine with a simple majority and will do my best to get that passed in the Senate. I would recommend though that the text be read one last time to look for anything that might incure opposition or cause problems when it ghoes to the regions.
No problem.
I will wait another few hours to allow the Senators to read the text one last time. Then, if there will not be discussion, I'll motion for a final vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies