GOP Gubernatorial Election Trend
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:50:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GOP Gubernatorial Election Trend
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What states Governorship will be won by The GOP again
New York
Washington
Vermont
California
Hawaii
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: GOP Gubernatorial Election Trend  (Read 5953 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »

Please feel free to leave comment
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 12:12:51 PM »

Definitely Vermont.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 01:24:22 PM »

Vermont. Possibly Washington, if the year goes poorly for Inslee (who doesn't seem to have very strong support either way).
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 08:12:41 PM »

I'm going with Washington. There hasn't been a convincing win for the Dems in the last several cycles, especially considering the streak came 150 votes from ending in 2004.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 03:06:32 PM »

Vermont and Washington are equally likely to flip.  The right Republican and/or the wrong Democrat will result in Republican gains.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 08:04:14 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2015, 08:08:22 AM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Which one first?  Probably Vermont, since Shumlin's immediate predecessor was a Republican, and there are a few strong candidates they could nominate. 

Washington state is not going to do it anytime soon.  The state GOP is in complete shambles, and the electorate is becoming is becoming more and more liberal, largely due to the fact that King County is steadily becoming more Democrat.  Kim Wyman is the only remaining Republican elected statewide, and she barely managed to win in 2012 (with just under 40% in King County).  Plus, Inslee is popular enough that he will probably dispatch any GOP challenger easily (but of course, that could change.)

I'm going with Washington. There hasn't been a convincing win for the Dems in the last several cycles, especially considering the streak came 150 votes from ending in 2004.
It did end in 2004, but the Democrats suddenly "discovered" new votes and stole it in true Al Franken fashion.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2015, 03:27:43 PM by Türkisblau »

It did end in 2004, but the Democrats suddenly "discovered" new votes and stole it in true Al Franken fashion.

Pub hacks complaining about electoral fraud is truly one of the cutest things I've noticed on Atlas since I joined.

It's like this adorable video of a fawn trying to take it's first steps. You're really trying to make a point but just keep falling down!
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 06:00:18 PM »

Vermont. It sounds odd at first until you look at the state politics rather than solely the national politics.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 09:44:28 AM »

Vermont. It sounds odd at first until you look at the state politics rather than solely the national politics.
This.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 09:39:53 PM »

The Republicans have put up decent candidates in WA state.  It's OR where the state party is basically dead.  In WA, the problems for the Republicans are:

1) They elect their governors in presidential years
2) The two is essentially split and very polarized; the western half is far bigger (liberal) politically and in population size
3) Republicans who run, have to move to the right in the primary and then try to moderate in the general election. Too late.  How many times from Slade Gorton to Rossi and going forward have the WA state Republicans tried this and lost?

VT is probably the best answer, but you have to win >50% I believe in VT to win. Thus, in a 3-way race, a non-incumbent republican is not likely to get that.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 10:39:58 PM »

Vermont, where there's at least a sentimental love for old school New England Republicans.  A majority of local offices are still held by Republicans in VT (like sheriff).
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 05:36:29 PM »

The Republicans have put up decent candidates in WA state.  It's OR where the state party is basically dead.  In WA, the problems for the Republicans are:

1) They elect their governors in presidential years
2) The two is essentially split and very polarized; the western half is far bigger (liberal) politically and in population size
3) Republicans who run, have to move to the right in the primary and then try to moderate in the general election. Too late.  How many times from Slade Gorton to Rossi and going forward have the WA state Republicans tried this and lost?

VT is probably the best answer, but you have to win >50% I believe in VT to win. Thus, in a 3-way race, a non-incumbent republican is not likely to get that.

If the third party were the Vermont Progressive Party would they not split the vote with the Democrats allowing the Republican candidate an easier chance at winning.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 05:18:21 PM »

Probably Vermont, because, unlike Washington, Republicans actually have a chance of winning gubernatorial elections. Unless an actual moderate Republican (as opposed to a conservative who holds a few moderate views) runs, Republicans are going to continually lose in Washington.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 10:11:07 PM »

Washington in 2020.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 12:49:38 AM »

Probably Vermont, because, unlike Washington, Republicans actually have a chance of winning gubernatorial elections. Unless an actual moderate Republican (as opposed to a conservative who holds a few moderate views) runs, Republicans are going to continually lose in Washington.

Even if they ran moderate Republicans in WA, they'd lose. It's like OR's big brother lol.

They'd still be likely to lose, but they'd have a chance. If they run conservatives, they'll continue to be disappointed.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »

If we're talking the 2016/2018 cycle, Vermont is the best shot. If we're talking ever, then all of them eventually.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 01:29:21 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 04:09:51 AM by smoltchanov »

If we're talking the 2016/2018 cycle, Vermont is the best shot. If we're talking ever, then all of them eventually.

May be. But you will (most likely) need Peter Behr-style Republican to win governorship of California, and i am not sure that such politicians exist now..
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »

If Cuomo runs again, Gibson has a shot against him. The liberal white gentry really dislikes Cuomo, particularly upstate, as do the teachers' union, who has made noises about potentially supporting Gibson.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 10:11:09 PM »

Vermont doesn't really have an issue with electing local Republicans
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 03:08:15 PM »

New York.

If Cuomo wins the primary in 2018, a De Blasio Progressive could take the WF and possibly Liberal nominations to split their vote. Cuomo could take the Liberal Party's nomination if he loses.

Either way, Cuomo has all moderate Democrats locked up and De Blasio has most of the base ready to play.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 07:58:57 PM »

I think the Republicans have a decentish chance of taking Vermont next year. If they don't, then it could easily be any of them, I guess.
mds32
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 10:51:46 PM »

Vermont and if not Vermont then it could be New York. Rep. Gibson could topple Gov. Cuomo if things keep going the way they are for Gov. Cuomo upstate.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 05:02:18 PM »

Vermont, where there's at least a sentimental love for old school New England Republicans.  A majority of local offices are still held by Republicans in VT (like sheriff).

Somewhat of a tangent, but why do you suppose Vermont's local political life has remained Republican? My hunch is that older residents with deep roots in Vermont are more likely to vote in local elections (Same reason why there are STILL some Dixiecrat holdout counties in the Deep South Tongue ).
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 01:52:56 PM »

Somewhat of a tangent, but why do you suppose Vermont's local political life has remained Republican? My hunch is that older residents with deep roots in Vermont are more likely to vote in local elections (Same reason why there are STILL some Dixiecrat holdout counties in the Deep South Tongue ).

Not being from the state itself, I can only make an educated guess, but I think it's a couple things.  1) Upper New England (VT, NH, ME) has always seemed to pride itself on being "independent minded," and I think it makes people up here (or at least the very crucial group that is the swing voters) uncomfortable giving a fringe too much power.  I know that sounds weird because VT is so liberal now, but I think a lot of older Vermonters feel that way (why they could vote for a GOP governor and Bernie Sanders in the same year).  2) VT has a deeply Republican heritage, and I think given the choice between a moderately liberal GOP (doesn't exist nationally, obviously) and their current Democrats, they'd actually prefer the former, but they're not voting for the current national GOP anytime soon.  I think a lot of old Vermonters would give the inverse answer of many old Southerners regarding their politics ("the national GOP 'left me'").
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »

Bump Congrats to everyone that said Vermont.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies