Opinion of Japanese Foreign Policy under PM Shinzo Abe
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:47:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Japanese Foreign Policy under PM Shinzo Abe
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Policy

Horrible Policy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Opinion of Japanese Foreign Policy under PM Shinzo Abe  (Read 1541 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2015, 05:59:30 PM »

Well?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 06:01:29 PM »

Obviously dreadful, Abe needs to be stopped. Does Japan really want to more itself in the sick world of arms exporting and militarism?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 06:02:36 PM »

FF.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 06:05:46 PM »

Obviously dreadful, Abe needs to be stopped. Does Japan really want to more itself in the sick world of arms exporting and militarism?

The Japanese shouldn't have to let China push them around. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 07:20:53 PM »

Probably the only country in the world that should be more hawkish in foreign affairs, though another Sino-Japanese War is not something I want to see obviously.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:57:01 AM »

Beyond horrible.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 01:03:11 AM »

Of course Japan as a whole doesn't.

Anyway,

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 07:07:56 AM »

Perhaps too provocative at times, but nowhere near as provocative as the country he is being provocative towards.....provocative.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 07:54:26 PM »

It's good to see Japan stand up for itself and become a more active ally of the United States in the Pacific Rim.

WWII was 70 years ago.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 08:45:09 PM »

Terrible, although thankfully the PRC and DPRK are still a thing and will discourage any militarist adventurism by Japan in the region.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »

HP, not aggressive enough.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2015, 10:39:59 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

Nice to see a solid majority thinks favorably of naked saber-rattling motivated by delusional historical revisionism. The issue isn't that Abe is incidentally more forthright than his predecessors about advancing his country's position in the context of East Asian geopolitics. The issue is that this is somebody who does not understand World War II (seventy years ago or otherwise) as having represented any sort of significant moral failing on Japan's part, that this is somebody who consequently has an intensely personal (and admitted!) desire to do what is essentially just 'showing' (as in 'I'll show them!') the rest of the world, and that because of this the implications and end goals of his policy go far beyond anything that could reasonably be construed as merely defending Japan's legitimate interests. It needs to be remembered that Abe is acting within and from the perspective of an ideology that is not really limited in its scope in any meaningful way, that is not particularly characterized by regard for human rights or the 'Western values' or whatever of which some of us seem to want to see him as an instrument, and that fundamentally is barely even democratic.

I don't think that transforming Japan into a more active arm of the American military alliance system is even in a vacuum necessarily the right thing to do in terms of Abe's responsibilities to his own people, so I'm unmoved by that argument.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 10:37:51 PM »

Does anyone else realize that "we" (USA) can use Japan as a counter-weight to China in the region? I mean c'mon the benefits of Japan taking up for it's own security are clear as day.

Opposition to it is largely moralistic and realpolitik-free. But I guess some people just don't understand that we have to play to win in today's new multi-polar world order.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 10:50:11 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2015, 02:15:03 AM by sex-negative feminist prude »

Does anyone else realize that "we" (USA) can use Japan as a counter-weight to China in the region?

Apparently at least fifteen other people realize this.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I actually completely agree that it's good for Japan to assume more responsibility for its own obligations to itself, but it's naive to think that Abe's public statements about his motivations accurately represent the full extent of what he really wants to do here. The Japanese opposition realizes this, as does a very large chunk of the Japanese body politic, who have dealt with Abe as a public figure for a long time now and know how he operates and what he believes.

I'm actually willing to accept this criticism, with the understanding that you and I have very different value systems in this respect.

This is a really buzzword-y sentence, but again, I'm actually willing to et cetera.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 12:50:21 AM »

It's good to see Japan stand up for itself and become a more active ally of the United States in the Pacific Rim.

WWII was 70 years ago.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 02:03:43 AM »

Seriously, 60% of this forum thinks mouth-foaming nationalism and open denial of crimes against humanity are a "Freedom policy"? What the hell is wrong with you people?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 02:45:35 AM »

Pacifism isn't a practical foreign policy for 99% of countries in the 21st century, although it may be the most purely moral and idealistic one. The fact that Japan has been able to be the exception to the rule is miraculous really, even if it was a result of WWII. Abe should not be undoing this. And war crime denial is obviously horrible. HP.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 09:48:11 AM »

Seriously, 60% of this forum thinks mouth-foaming nationalism and open denial of crimes against humanity are a "Freedom policy"? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Some people really, really want another Cold War
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 10:17:26 AM »

You must be a hawk to win your Very Serious Person credentials, tony.

In fact, my biggest sadness is the loss of Japan's longstanding ban on arms exportation. The Western arms industry, which hijacks legitimate diplomatic missions to sell thei death wares is poison.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »

You must be a hawk to win your Very Serious Person credentials, tony.

Actually, until now, I was convinced that I placed at the hawkish end of the Atlas spectrum, with the whole supporting interventions in Libya and Syria (and now against ISIS). I guess the Iran deal and now this issue have pushed me back to the center. Tongue
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »

The issue is that this is somebody who does not understand World War II ... as having represented any sort of significant moral failing on Japan's part ... and that because of this the implications and end goals of his policy go far beyond anything that could reasonably be construed as merely defending Japan's legitimate interests.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking as well. 

Voted horrible.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 11:38:18 AM »

I'm somewhere in the middle on this one, The revisionism going on in Japan is awful, But with Russia and China getting more and more cozy every day it would be nice to have Japan beef up a bit to help counter that.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 02:03:28 PM »

The thing is that defending Japan's existing interests when they're threatened is already perfectly allowed within the scope of Article 9. Stuff like limiting the defense budget to one per cent of the total was just convention. But it's clear that that's not what Abe truly wants. If it was, he wouldn't be forcing through laws that are unconstitutional, he wouldn't want to change the constitution to legitimate that post facto, and he certainly wouldn't have any interest in, as CrabCake points out, turning his country into an arms dealer.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 08:13:19 AM »

I'm somewhere in the middle on this one, The revisionism going on in Japan is awful, But with Russia and China getting more and more cozy every day it would be nice to have Japan beef up a bit to help counter that.

Japan should beef up its defenses against the Russians and Chinese making the logical move to boost their own in response to U.S. saber-rattling? Japan wouldn't have a 'reason' to build up its military capacity were it not for the trouble being caused by its guardian, the U.S., in the region, be it in the form of encircling Russia or the 'pivot to Asia' (thinly veiled preparations for a Cold War with China)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 08:19:12 AM »

I'm not sure where you're going with this TNF. Are you saying that without the pivot or US presence in the area there wouldn't be any conflict over the Senkaku Islands? Do you think China would have just not cared if it wasn't for American presence?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies