Do you have Uber/Lyft available where you live?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:29:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you have Uber/Lyft available where you live?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you have Uber/Lyft available where you live?
Yes, both

Only Uber

Only Lyft

Neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Do you have Uber/Lyft available where you live?  (Read 1381 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2015, 07:50:23 PM »

Not "in your area", is your actual residence in a coverage area of them.

Yes, both for me. Though I'm a bit surprised to see how relatively small area they cover. Lyft doesn't even cover the east side of St. Paul.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 09:28:48 PM »

Lyft and Uber are not available in my city, and I'm pretty sure neither are even in my state sans Portland.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 09:31:46 PM »

Not as far as I know.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:52:59 PM »

In the Shining City on the Hill, where everything one wants that is good and glorious and beautiful, is within walking distance no, not here. That is for there. All of that is on the other side of the looking glass, sort of like what one finds outside the gates within which the King of Hearts shall reign forever.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 03:54:08 AM »

I don't know but I assume not.

In the Shining City on the Hill, where everything one wants that is good and glorious and beautiful, is within walking distance no, not here. That is for there. All of that is on the other side of the looking glass, sort of like what one finds outside the gates within which the King of Hearts shall reign forever.

Love ya, Torie.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 06:41:51 AM »

both, I think

There were issues, but I think they've been sorted out.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 11:28:42 AM »

Only Uber I think, although I haven't used it here.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 01:01:20 PM »

No, and even if they were, I wouldn't use them because I'm not interested in destroying cab drivers' unions.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »

I don't know about my county, but they banned Uber in Broward.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »

No, because they are only in & around Vienna.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »

No, and even if they were, I wouldn't use them because I'm not interested in destroying cab drivers' unions.

That's silly. Uber is cheaper, cleaner, faster, and all-around more pleasant than a cab. The free market competition should lead to cabs adopting the factors that make Uber superior, and then we're all better off.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 09:43:41 PM »

That's silly. Uber is cheaper, cleaner, faster, and all-around more pleasant than a cab. The free market competition should lead to cabs adopting the factors that make Uber superior, and then we're all better off.

That actually happened in the Twin Cities. The cab companies started an app called iHail that works the same way.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 05:53:38 AM »

Is it even a union? Where I live the only people that profit from cab restrictions are the people wealthy enough to buy the medallions.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 05:57:24 AM »

My firm recently added the option of reimbursing you for Uber rather than giving you a taxi chit when you work late. I tried it last month. The service was excellent, but the price was actually higher than taxis. Cabbing home from my office is about $35 and Uber cost $42.

Still, since my cab rides are paid for by my company I prefer Uber. Tongue
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 10:54:19 AM »

Only Uber, though I haven't used it yet.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 07:09:43 PM »

My firm recently added the option of reimbursing you for Uber rather than giving you a taxi chit when you work late. I tried it last month. The service was excellent, but the price was actually higher than taxis. Cabbing home from my office is about $35 and Uber cost $42.

Still, since my cab rides are paid for by my company I prefer Uber. Tongue

Dear God I had forgotten how expensive taxis are in Canada. For that equivalent price, I can have a round-trip to Medellín, a five-hour drive.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 07:34:20 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2015, 07:44:58 PM by angus »

I was standing on the corner of Duke and Chestnut today, looking at one of those hysterical markers which described the spot where a particular member of the continental congress of 1777 took a dump, or something like that, when a very HamitoSemitic-looking dude--perhaps Morrocan, or Egyptian--asked me where the "taxi stand" was.  My instinctive response was to point him toward Queen Street, a couple of blocks west, and I said that he'd have a better chance there.  I see lots of taxis there.  Then it occurred to me to be open with him and tell him that I rarely use taxis so he might be better off asking someone else.  (I drove downtown every day this week to the Mulberry Art Studio because I had enrolled my son in Bricks4Kids Lego robotics program.  It turned out to have been worth the money.  I wish I was ten again.  Today I remembered that there was a public library not far from the Mulberry Art Studio that had a book I wanted that my local library didn't have.  My library card works in any of the county's public libraries, so I figured I'd give it a go.  That's how I happened to be on Duke Street in the first place.  Generally, however, I avoid downtown except to drive through on my way to work.)

Anyway, I am aware that Uber inagurated services here in May of this year, but I'm not sure about Lyft.  In dead0man's thead I voted "don't give a sh**t" or whatever the non-yes/non-no option was, because I don't take cabs.  Well, except my own, or my wife's, and generally only when I'm at the helm, which I am regularly.  Otherwise, I'm on foot or I'm on a bicycle.  I'm just too cheap to take public transit other than buses or trains, to be honest. 

Oddly, I have been noticing an unusually large number of yellow taxis in my neighborhood lately.  I assume that it's because it is summer.  Lots of folks travelling during summer, necessitating rides to the train station or to the airports.  Usually I don't see many of them in this part of Suburbia.

Voted "only uber" in this thread, but maybe one of the other Lancastrians here can be more informative.  In any case, I only know of uber because of what I've read in the local newspaper.  I probably won't use Uber (or Lyft, if it exists) any more than I use regular taxis, which is never.  If I'm really too drunk to drive home, I'll just crash on your sofa, or I'll have the old lady drive us home.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies