Opinion of "family values"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:20:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of "family values"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Values

Horrible Values

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Opinion of "family values"  (Read 2661 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2015, 09:48:33 PM »

Awful values IMO. I define "family values" as homophobia, sexism, hatred of things/families that are different, etc., and "family values" are awful values. You can define the term in anyway you please and vote accordingly to your personal definition.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 09:53:33 PM »

Freedom Values, because defining 'family values' the way RR1997 is is the first step to letting them win.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 10:25:36 PM »

Freedom Values, because defining 'family values' the way RR1997 is is the first step to letting them win.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 10:48:41 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 12:50:54 AM »

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 01:10:43 AM »

Basically this (not going to empty quote). In my opinion, things like minimum wage, maternity/paternity leave, and encouraging both fathers and mothers to care for their children are true family values.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 06:08:55 AM »

The things that RR1997 listed are obviously freedom values.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 08:02:54 AM »

Roll Eyes
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 08:50:06 AM »

Awful values IMO. I define "family values" as homophobia, sexism, hatred of things/families that are different, etc., and "family values" are awful values. You can define the term in anyway you please and vote accordingly to your personal definition.

While family values is sometimes used in the way to defend some nasty stuff you mentioned (and its almost always affiliated with social and cultural conservatism), others just use it as a moral compass. It usually goes along with the idealistic nuclear family that never breaks up, never neglects their children, and praises personal responsibility. But its a vague phrase that can mean anything, and I think you're painting with too broad a brush to say what you said.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 08:50:17 AM »

I can't tell if you're serious or not... From what I remember of you, you're probably serious.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 09:07:29 AM »

I can't tell if you're serious or not... From what I remember of you, you're probably serious.

Well you know on the one hand I'm not really big on the old sexism and homophobia per se; I mean you know, I have a girlfriend now, somehow, and she can absolutely whip me to death on a badminton court. On the other hand of course, I'm not really particularly committed to the whole 'liberation struggle'; fighting for freedom against the patriarchy and all that jazz, and I'm somewhat cautious when it comes to people who are into that type of thing.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 09:21:06 AM »

You can define the phrase in any way you want to, but most people/politicians use the phrase "family values" to defend the traditional family, which is what I hate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 09:36:57 AM »

I miss the time when he had me saying "lolcassius" in his sig. It was the perfect way to conclude whatever nonsense he was posting.

Though I can't help but notice that he has chosen to replace it with an ASOIAF/GoT quote, soon after I put one such quote in my own sig. Glad to see I'm still an inspiration. Smiley
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2015, 10:49:16 AM by Cassius »

I miss the time when he had me saying "lolcassius" in his sig. It was the perfect way to conclude whatever nonsense he was posting.

Though I can't help but notice that he has chosen to replace it with an ASOIAF/GoT quote, soon after I put one such quote in my own sig. Glad to see I'm still an inspiration. Smiley

You are. Indeed, I'd go as far as to say that, if we met in real life (a place where I never discuss my own 'views' about politics and the world if I can help it), we might actually get on reasonably well. Wink
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 10:53:40 AM »

Here's some proof that the traditional family model works best:

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/cdc-study-traditional-two-parent-biological-family-the-safest-environment-f
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 11:22:29 AM »

You are. Indeed, I'd go as far as to say that, if we met in real life (a place where I never discuss my own 'views' about politics and the world if I can help it), we might actually get on reasonably well. Wink

Sure! I can get along very well with people who have awful political views IRL. I even have a good friend who turned kinda-sorta far-right-ish a couple years ago, and keeps trolling me about that. Tongue

Tbh, I've reached the point where I'm starting to appreciate your posts. It's like watching a Roose Bolton-esque character: you hate what he's doing, but you can't help enjoying the shameless fun he has doing it. Wink
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 12:50:11 PM »

Horrible values because it's really just an empty talking-point.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 01:29:30 PM »

Sort of a skewed study if you're trying to decide whether a particular family structure is best.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Obviously, the first two traumas can't be found in a home with both biological parents.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 05:01:11 PM »

You can define the phrase in any way you want to, but most people/politicians use the phrase "family values" to defend the traditional family, which is what I hate.

You hate my family? I'll have to tell mother about this.
Let me rephrase that. I don't hate traditional families, I just hate the fact that many of these 'family values' type people want to enforce their idea of a family on everyone else.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 06:35:43 PM »

It depends on the definition of both "family" and "values".
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 07:24:14 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2015, 07:45:22 PM by DemPGH »

It's hard to vote. "Family values" is an exclusive slogan or catchphrase that the Right uses to describe the kind of traditional patriarchal society they would like to somehow legislate, which is what is heinous. (And IMO, it is often overtly misogynist)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 07:40:52 AM »

Wooh, I can't believe this is winning on here! I don't believe most who support it support the proper policies, but family values just represent a moral, caring environment. Some who supposedly support it, don't support it in practice either with the rejection of their LGBT youth, but we should not use that as an excuse for opposing such a critical structure highly responsible for proper development. I don't expect the selfish druggies on AAD would ever understand such a concept. Heartening to see this website might.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 03:43:59 PM »

Utterly worthless buzzword.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 05:16:18 PM »

IMO families should be broken up, all children should be raised in state-run homes. Smiley
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 09:51:59 PM »

While I understand humanity doesn't think as a hive mind, and both families and individuals contribute both positive and negatives within our modern world. We have to realize "family values" is more of a slogan, than wanting to help different families from different walks of life.

Christian conservatives realize just being straight forward about their dislikes of gays, woman's rights, etc. will alienate a lot of different people. So they use words that are more nice sounding and will appeal instead of repeal supporters. 

Therefore I don't support "family values" and support the rights of both individuals and families who are not afraid of being a little different, Just hope they can respect themselves and others.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies