Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:08:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 107386 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: October 03, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »
« edited: October 08, 2015, 06:53:56 PM by VPH »

1.- The Senate has seen a lot of debates on the issue of defence planning and defence spending, and indeed candidates like Senator Muskie, Senator Harris and Senator McGovern have been forced to intervene in said debates. Question to you all, which are your plans regarding defence and how to they differ from the rest of the field?

Response: "My plan is distinct from the field in that it represents a responsible approach, unlike that of candidates who want to take an ax to our defence budget or those on the other end who want to spend money frivolously. The first part of my plan involves ending the Vietnam war within 110 days and negotiating a peace to get all of our POW's back home. Related to that is my 'New GI Bill' to provide tax cuts and educational opportunities for returning veterans. I'm the only candidate who's stood up for veterans consistently. Our vets deserve the utmost respect. Next, I propose identifying and cutting waste at the Pentagon through a top-to-bottom audit. There's no reason bureaucrats tasked with national defence should be wasting money. We'll cut wasteful spending and direct dollars to where they need to be. For example, the US ought to remain at the forefront of military research, and I'll support partnerships with developers and innovators to ensure that we have the world's best equipped military."

2.- Welfare is also a theme hotly debated now, increasing calls not only from the conservative Republicans, but also from conservative Democrats, to cut on welfare spending. What are your plans regarding welfare, and can you provide concrete details of the sort of spending and initiatives you would like to see?

Response: "We hear an awful lot of rhetoric on welfare, but at the end of the day, something needs to be done. I'm a doer, not a talker. As president, I will fund universal healthcare by closing Wall Street tax loopholes. The money recouped from fugitive corporations will help sustain a healthy American safety net. The major problem thus lies in the system's complexity. There are a lot of fascinating ideas out there. I will hold bureaucrats accountable through a system of internal rating and accountability practices. Offices that take too long or make things too complicated will be disciplined! I will reduce the amount of needed paperwork and call for coordination between the state, federal, and local levels. This will open up communication and record keeping, making the whole system cheaper and more efficient. Along with this, I will simplify the tax code overall by cutting out major loopholes and streamlining the process which will result in savings for working class American families. Finally, I've proposed a responsible minimum wage proposal to raise the minimum wage to $2.00 an hour gradually by 1975 and then index it to inflation. This will cause wages to rise, without decimating employment like Rep. Udall's convoluted plan. By pushing people out of poverty, this initiative will lead to savings on welfare programs.

3.- More and more elected officers of the Democratic Party have come out saying that victory for any of you on the primaries and first ballot of the convention is increasingly unlikely, stressing that this year's DNC could be more chaotic than Chicago 1968. Considering the level of division, who would you like to choose as Vice-President to, so to speak, heal the divide? Would you run with any of the other candidates?

Response: "I don't want to see a divided party, because that's just calling for another 4 years of Nixon's failed policies. Americans don't want stagnant wages, vanishing jobs, a continuing war, and domestic unrest. Americans want solutions, and I'm here to fight for them. I will prevent another 1968. The one candidate I most aspired to running with was Mayor Lindsay. It's by tragedy that we are separated from our good friend John, but as we go about this process, we shouldn't forget his wisdom, resolve, and intelligence when looking for standard bearers for the Democratic Party. I don't think I can narrow my choice down to one person just yet, but I'll describe the qualities I know would be best for the party. First of all, I'd look for a fellow problem solver. I don't want anybody on my ticket who would create more disunity. The prospective VP must know how to communicate effectively and reach out to mend this party's ideological differences. Moreover, I'd like my vice presidential pick to support a populist agenda. If he's not for the working man, he has no place on the Harris 1972 ticket. Finally, I'd look for somebody with the experience, fortitude, and charisma espoused by Mayor Lindsay. These qualities will always be important. I guess I can give you some examples. Senator Ted Kennedy would be a phenomenal vice president. The same goes for Senator Mike Mansfield, Senator J. William Fulbright, Governor Kenneth Curtis and a number of other good folks. Out of everybody up on this stage, I'd certainly consider a few as vice presidential picks. I'd be delighted to run with Senator McGovern or Representative Udall on my ticket. I'd definitely consider Senator Muskie, and of course, out of our friends who've dropped out, Governor Carter or Senator McCarthy would be great picks.

4.- The Paris Peace talks have all but collapsed as the United States resumes bombing operations in North Vietnam and South Vietnam is under attack. Should the talks be resumed at any cost?

Response: "We need peace in Vietnam. Americans are dying, civilians are suffering, and our coffers are being bled dry by this irresponsible strategy put forth by Nixon and his war hawks. As I've emphasized, within 110 days I would bring the war to a close. That means opening up channels of open, firm negotiation. As the world's foremost superpower, the US needs to be a diplomatic powerhouse. I will halt the war in 110 days and maintain a peacekeeping/diplomatic presence until all American POW's are home safe. This goal will require cooperation with international organizations to make sure all promises are kept. If there's anything I learned from growing up on the prairie, it's that you never leave a brother behind. Negotiations must be conducted in a manner that reflects on our power and determination for progress. This way, peace talks will not fall through. The Nixon administration's inept leadership has failed us again, but I'm confident that we can being Americans home and ensure peace."

5.- To Senator Harris: Senator, past results show you have lost a significant amount of support in the South, which has been attributed to a perceived change of position on busing. Having come out in support of it on the first debate yet against it last week, could you clarify your stance on busing?

"As I said, before my words were taken out of context, busing is a complicated issue. It should be obvious that in America, racial tensions and division are high. These inequities and divisions cause problems like lost economic productivity, disorder, further division, and crime. Something needs to be done. I personally believe in busing as part of a broader solution. There are better ideas I'd like to see advanced to the forefront. Instead of making kids spend an hour on the bus each day or simply not acting to diversify schools, it's a better idea to stop the practice of redlining by the big mortgage corporations. This would, without government mandates on the people, ensure greater opportunity for students to attend diverse schools. Moreover, we need to make sure that all schools, no matter what their demographics, have access to equal resources and teaching talent. Schooling makes all the difference, and I know we can find unity on this issue as we strive to help all Americans. Busing is not all that needs to be done, and it's not optimal in some cases. My administration, understanding the cause for concern, will push for more requirements for proof of discrimination before implementing busing. I don't think it should be such a court mandated process, but rather something decided on by the voters. While I personally support busing, we need to look to more practical, less divisive forms of solving racial inequities. This has been my consistent stance, and I'm apalled to see my words ripped out of context by those who want to turn back the clock. I'm confident that the people will recognize the need for a better solution."

Responses to Other Candidates (To be added later)
Response to Sam Yorty
"Sam, I don't think you know how to listen. I just made it clear as day. On a personal level, I support it. On a governmental level, as I have repeated just about every day on the trail, I think there are better ways to go about integrating. I denied being in favor of forced government integration, which was your accusation, because I've never supported forced government integration. My campaign's been about the people, and keeping with that is the consistent stance I've held on busing.You're lying. You know it, and America knows it too. How about you tell me why you have such a terrible record of supporting Democrats? You seem to like Nixon an awful lot."

Response to Mo Udall
"I am completely confused about your minimum wage plan. How do you support enforcing the plan, and which plan are you sticking by?"

Concluding Statements
"America, we're at a crossroads. We can choose hatred, division, segregation, and war. Or we can choose hope, diplomacy, prosperity, and American unity. I am the only candidate on this stage to propose a detailed and responsible plan to end the war. I'm the only candidate who stands for a simpler, more progressive tax code and a true end to inflation through fed policy. I was the first populist in this race, and I'm still the only one who truly cares about the people. I stand here not because of some rich backers or extremists. I stand here because of you, because of the power of the people. Remember, I'm not running for reelection to the senate this cycle. I'm running as the peoples' candidate. I joined this race late, and have been absolutely humbled by the support of working Americans. I ask today that we stand together, white, black, male, female, to defeat demagoguery and hatred within our party and outside of it. Cast your ballot for a better future, not a divided one. Thank you all for your time, and God Bless the American people.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #701 on: October 04, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2015, 07:16:38 PM by Classic Conservative »

Round 12 Endorsements!!!!

The following individuals have endorsed Congressman John G. Schmitz for President!!!

Congressman John M. Ashbrook
Ohio Congressman
     "John is a proven fighter, he's one of my best friends in Congress, he's fought for the ROC's rights, the gold standard and no abortion. I'm very honored to endorse my friend and a man who can make America Great Again, John G. Schmitz for the office of President."
Ashbrook will build up Schmitzes ground game in Ohio and convince 5% of his constituents to vote for Schmitz

Roger Miliken
Godfather of Modern Conservativism and the Southern Strategy for the Republican Party
    "Many years ago I grew the South Carolina Republican Party from a tiny party to a giant party, I convinced Storm Thurmond to become a Republican, convinced Goldwater to run and have grown the John Brich Society, now I'm throwing my weight and support behind the only true conservative in the race, John G. Schmitz and I'm proud that I'm going to vote for him, too!!!"
Miliken has been hired as Schmitz's Campaign Manager and his Southern Strategist
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #702 on: October 06, 2015, 12:17:20 AM »

May this be extended to at least Thursday? I've got an exam coming up to get out of the way first.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #703 on: October 06, 2015, 02:09:39 PM »

Granted.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #704 on: October 06, 2015, 02:11:19 PM »

Hi!

Did I get >90% in all states last round or did I get >80%/>70% in some of the Southern states? I want to make a percent map for the GOP primary.

Thanks! Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #705 on: October 06, 2015, 02:31:07 PM »

Hi!

Did I get >90% in all states last round or did I get >80%/>70% in some of the Southern states? I want to make a percent map for the GOP primary.

Thanks! Smiley

Hmmmm... It's >90% on most due to the 15% delegate rule, but for game purposes let's say Louisiana, Georgia and Mississippi are around >80%, and Alabama >70%.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #706 on: October 06, 2015, 11:33:12 PM »

Brokered Convention Talk - Could another candidate break through the middle? (Leak from Smathers staffers)

May 8th - Beyond the continuing collapse of the Edmund Muskie Campaign, few conclusions were drawn from the recent bunch of primaries that occurred last week. Mayor Sam Yorty and Governor George Wallace battle for blue collar whites, George McGovern, Mo Udall, and Fred Harris battle for anti-Vietnam voters, and the establishment is strained for choices among this bunch. Democratic powerbrokers fear any potential nominee would be electoral poison. And there doesn't seem to be much concensus - Yorty leads in delegates, but has only secured about a third of them - not nearly the kind of numbers he would need to consolidate the nomination. A brokered convention for the Democrats seems almost assured.

The question comes - who rises, who falls, in the count afterwards. Democratic powerbrokers are looking for a compromise candidate, and looking for it fast. Some donors are claiming today that they may have already found him (or maybe he found them) - Former Senator George Smathers. Smathers was a favorite son for Hubert Humphrey in Florida in 1968, and is known as a good friend of Former President John F. Kennedy. Smathers is a southern democrat, but voted with the rest of the Democrats on Civil Rights. Smathers is an intraparty moderate who doesn't have the current baggage that Muskie has.

Smathers quietly backed Muskie, at least until Muskie's campaign began losing steam. As early as late March, Smathers has been talking up donors, powerbrokers, Democratic party leaders about a potential run, but those talks began as just speculation. As McGovern, Yorty, and Harris have begun gaining steam, Smathers concern for the party became the need for him to run. However, their rise began too late for him to get up full resources to run - instead, Smathers now intends to throw his name into the ring upon a potential brokered convention as a consensus candidate.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #707 on: October 07, 2015, 08:18:56 PM »

Fred Harris Endorsements

Fmr. Connecticut Governor John N. Dempsey

"As a Catholic, I know Fred Harris stands for my values. He stands for strong American families, and end to war, and an end to poverty. His great political savvy and penchant for getting things done sets him apart from the rest of the field. I'm supporting him and I hope you do too"
Activities: Dempsey will chair the Connecticut campaign and then organize in Rhode Island afterwards.

MI-15 Rep. William D. Ford

"I'm backing Senator Fred Harris because he's the best champion for unions in this field. I believe that Michigan has a lot to gain from President Fred Harris."
Activities: Ford will be organizing and barnstorming in Michigan, coordinating Detroit-area GOTV. After, he will attend to congressional duty.

California Senator Alan Cranston

"California, today I am endorsing a candidate for president. I said I'd hold off on this event, but it's more important than ever to lend my support to the clear best candidate in this race. Senator Fred Harris deserves your vote in the upcoming primary. He's fought for all Americans, from residents of inner cities to struggling farmers to veterans to suburban families. I think that in every corner of California, folks would be better off under Fred Harris than under Mayor Yorty, Senator Muskie, Senator McGovern, Rep. Udall, or Governor Wallace. I will be spending my next few weeks hard at work to help this good man win. He's a man of the people, not the special interests. I will be chairing his California campaign and working for an all out win."
Activities: Senator Cranston will be the California campaign chair. Notably, he will be organizing and fundraising for Fred Harris. He will take part in rallies across the state, along with making and running ads in support of Fred Harris. His persistent and powerful efforts will ensure a good showing in California.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #708 on: October 07, 2015, 09:29:13 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 10:11:38 PM by Intell »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[quote]
Candidate Specific Questions:

1.- To Governor Wallace: Governor, the last few days saw you taking some fire over your proposed stance on potential nationalization, which was denounced by some conservatives as an attack on the free market principles. How would you respond, and which industries are those that you wish to see nationalized?

I fully support the capitalistic system and I said I would look into nationalization of major industries such as the rail, bus, healthcare and natural resources industries if studies prove for them to be beneficial to the economy. These industries will be funded by the federal government to be run on a state and local based way, as well as lowering the price of rail,bus and energy as well as making healthcare free.

Closing Remarks: Remember Folks, I',m the only candidate to protect the judo-christian heartland of America. Wallace will fight for school prayer, for American values and for the common folks in higher wages, less integration and less busing. Wallace will protect state's rights, end federal bureaucracy and shift power to state and local government, so if you want to protect out values and improve your wages, I'm your guy.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #709 on: October 07, 2015, 10:10:06 PM »

I will have the schedule up within 24 hours. Where's Muskie?
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #710 on: October 07, 2015, 10:25:55 PM »

Could I get mine up late Thursday? I've had a crazy week.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #711 on: October 07, 2015, 10:38:56 PM »

Could I get mine up late Thursday? I've had a crazy week.

Sure!

I will have the schedule up within 24 hours. Where's Muskie?

Noted!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #712 on: October 07, 2015, 11:55:58 PM »

Sam Yorty Debate Responses

What you'll see under a President Yorty is a safe nation--one that's safe from both internal and external threats. We have to invest in our defense like never before in this changing world. With nuclear weapons being spread and communism on the rise, there are plenty of dangers out there in the world that the United States must be prepared for at all times. The first thing we have to do in provide more funding for our budget. We have to invest in the newest weapons, ships, and planes to make sure that nobody can compete with our forces. We have to focus on developing new innovative technology so we're always on top. Not only that, but we must invest in our troops: better training, better care, and more support on the battlefield.

Now, everyone else here says that they'll keep us safe, but my opponents just don't have a plan. I do. Their idea of a plan is to retreat from everywhere and pretend that everything will eventually work itself out, but they will risk our national security from day one. We've got to be proactive in using our military to actually defend our interests, not just at home but around the world. That means stomping our foot down and telling the Soviets that they can't conquer Europe or encourage chaos in Asia. Our bolstered military will be able to respond to any threat the moment it happens, because they'll be ready, they'll be efficient, and they'll be determined. If you want to see nothing change for the better, then vote for any of these other gentlemen. If you want a safe nation, vote for me.

A fundamentally decent society will have some kind of basic safety net for the worst off among us. That's something that I've always supported and continue to support. However, I'm going to have to break from my liberal friends up here on the stage. I cannot stand here and tell you, the American people, with a straight face that we can support every massive expansion of our welfare programs and expect to stay solvent, because that's a blatant lie. Here are the facts: Over the past decade, the federal government has been getting increasingly large deficits. We're spending much more than we're taking in, and a large part of that is because of our welfare spending. President Nixon has been reckless in his spending, and it would pain me to see a Democrat follow him and be even worse on that. For that reason, new programs like universal healthcare just can't work right now.

This is a delicate issue, but as president, I would encourage the states to take a larger role in providing welfare in general. Meanwhile, the federal government is going to start meaning business. We'll be implementing new practices to ensure accountability in welfare recipients and making sure that the system isn't home to widespread fraud and abuse. More benefits will be capped over time so that we don't create a class of people perpetually living off of our taxpayer dollars. Other parts of my economic plan will reinvigorate our economy, like tax cuts for the poor and middle class, and investing in our nation's infrastructure. Above all else, though, we need some fiscal sanity again. Some of my opponents may use flowery language and tell you everything you want to hear, but for those who want to massively expand the welfare state at this point in time, at best they're not living in reality, and at worst they're lying to you to get your votes.

My choice for a running mate would ideally be someone who's broadly respected across the entire party, because what we need is unity heading out of that convention. They also have to be someone who recognizes that most people in America right now are being screwed over by Washington and that it's time for a bold change. I have great respect for someone like Ted Kennedy and I would love to see if he would accept such an offer. As for whether I would invite one of my opponents to the ticket, that's not something I'm thinking about as much, although some of them certainly have their good traits. Governor Wallace has plenty of passion and tenacity that I have seen from few others. Senator Harris knows how to speak to regular people unlike most stuffy politicians you see around. Nothing is settled yet and you never know what might happen in the months to come. However, our big goal should be to unite and come out stronger than ever in July so we can beat President Nixon in November.

Let's think about this for a moment, folks. After months of failed negotiations, an increasingly hostile North Vietnam retaliating, and nothing to show for our hyped efforts, do we really think that resuming these talks and continuing on as usual will do anything good? The answer: Hell no!

These good-for-nothing talks have only stalled the progress that we could have been making if the U.S. showed its commitment to battling communism, but the Nixon administration has instead only shown that they're woefully incompetent on this. Instead of conceding by pushing these talks, I'm going to drop the talks as president and focus on winning. Our entire Vietnam strategy is going to be rethought when I get in the White House. We'll commit more troops, choke off the North by the border, bomb them where it hurts most, and train the South to fend for themselves. Only then can we begin to see real results, not continue on with these fruitless exercises of diplomacy. With communists, there are no gray areas for them. They want to take over and kill you if you dissent. We cannot let a vile ideology like that spread across the entire globe. Either we fight and win, or we lose this battle.

Because conservative Democrats--and all Democrats, for that matter--know that I'm a fighter. I mean what I say and I'm not afraid to speak out for the truth. That means I've collected many enemies over time who want to undermine me, but throughout it all, I've stood tall and I've never given up. From the very beginning of this campaign, I was the one person out there speaking about the crime epidemic sweeping our cities, our failure to fight against communism, our fiscal irresponsibility, and the social decay of our communities. These are all issues that conservatives in both parties and millions of other hard-working Americans care about, and they need someone in the White House who will actually speak up for them. For far too long, these Americans have been ignored over and over, and they're fed up with the way things are. I can't blame them, frankly.

Not only do I speak for them, but I have also shown that I can win. Against all the odds and expectations, we beat the establishment favorite Senator Muskie in New Hampshire, and from there we've scored numerous victories in primaries and caucuses. We're the leader in delegates and we're competitive across the country. My opponents don't want to say it, but I can become the nominee of the Democratic Party. Governor Wallace is too extreme to be the nominee, and he would rather say false things about me than to run a decent campaign. Likewise, Senator Harris has deceived voters about his record, and he is just too cozy with the Washington establishment to truly be an outsider candidate. If you want someone who has integrity, who has a backbone, and who has the energy to run a winning campaign, then there is only one choice for you, and that's Sam Yorty.

Closing Statement:

You've seen plenty of talking here tonight. These men beside me want to claim your vote and become your next president. What will they actually do for you, though? Most of them have been in Washington long enough that they don't know what Middle America is feeling right now. What Middle America is feeling right now is pain, anger, regret, and fear. They don't feel like anyone in politics gives a damn about them, and they're right that most of them don't. They're looking for someone who does care, who will fight for them, and who is honest for a change. I want to be that voice for those men and women out there, because my entire career has been devoted to standing up for people like you. I fought the party bosses many times over the years and I never backed down from a good fight. With a new vision for the future, I turned Los Angeles into one of the great and most prosperous cities of the country. I'm beholden to no special interests, only the American people. I'll address the issues and tackle them head on. While my opponents have no solutions on Vietnam, crime, and the economy, I've got plans to win in Vietnam, stop the crime epidemic, and revive our economy. All it takes is some guts, and I've got guts. If you want to really shake up business as usual and elect a leader who will stand with you for once, then I'm your only choice for this election. Thank you all, and God bless this country.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #713 on: October 07, 2015, 11:56:46 PM »

Question for Fred Harris:

Back in February at the debate you were unapologetic about your support for busing. Last week you denied supporting busing and called it "an inefficient way to do things." Now in this debate, you're waffling all over the place and offering mixed support. If you can't stick to one position as a candidate, how can voters possibly trust you if you're President?

Question for George Wallace:

You say that you "fully support the capitalistic system," yet in that very same sentence you then reiterate your support for nationalization. Talk about consistency! You don't go around nationalizing industries under capitalism, so I think you're a little confused here. Which way is it, Governor?

Question for George McGovern:

You want the U.S. to withdraw from Vietnam and all around the world, but all that will do is leave a power vacuum for the Soviets to take advantage of. They will feel even more emboldened with someone like you in charge. How will you actually respond to communist aggression if you're in the White House?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #714 on: October 08, 2015, 07:16:10 PM »

May I ask for an extension until tomorrow evening?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #715 on: October 08, 2015, 07:24:23 PM »

I can finish it really quickly, but I'd appreciate another twemty-four hours. I had a last-minute appointment I wasn't expecting. I sincerely apologize and am willing to accept a certain cut on my delegate counts of necessary.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #716 on: October 08, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »

I can finish it really quickly, but I'd appreciate another twemty-four hours. I had a last-minute appointment I wasn't expecting. I sincerely apologize and am willing to accept a certain cut on my delegate counts of necessary.

Last extension, though, tomorrow night at 10 PM forum time I announce the George Meany endorsement and results.

Also, question for the players:

-We are approaching the Democratic Convention now, which I want to turn into an interesting part of the simulation on the assumption that most of you will actually go all the way into there. That means that after this turn we should have a couple more turns of about two weeks each, one until California and the other until Texas/New York, but I was also toying to make it a single turn as well.

Which one do you prefer? Single turn to end primary season despite the lenght, or two turns to gauge momentum in a better way?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #717 on: October 08, 2015, 07:29:51 PM »

Last extension, though, tomorrow night at 10 PM forum time I announce the George Meany endorsement and results.

Also, question for the players:

-We are approaching the Democratic Convention now, which I want to turn into an interesting part of the simulation on the assumption that most of you will actually go all the way into there. That means that after this turn we should have a couple more turns of about two weeks each, one until California and the other until Texas/New York, but I was also toying to make it a single turn as well.

Which one do you prefer? Single turn to end primary season despite the lenght, or two turns to gauge momentum in a better way?
My preference is single turn, I like the hype. I think it really is intense and every turn. My pun Wink
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #718 on: October 08, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2015, 01:59:21 PM by VPH »

Fred Harris Shoots to Win
May 7
GOTV w/Jennings Randolph: Huntington, WV
GOTV w/Jennings Randiolph and rally about unions: South Charleston, WV
GOTV w/Jennings Randolph: Charleston, WV
Picketing with coal miners w/Chip Yablonski: Chapmanville, WV

"No other candidate stands for the unions like I do. That's why Miners for Democracy endorsed me, not Yorty, not Wallace, not McGovern or Muskie. The DC/large city establishment doesn't want to march. They don't want to mingle with people. Since I stand with the people, I cannot ignore them. I know the value and dignity of hard work that must be protected."

May 8
GOTV w/Jay Rockefeller: Beckley, WV
GOTV w/Jay Rockefeller: Weston, WV
GOTV w/Jennings Randolph: Morgantown, WV
Dinenr with local officials and union members: Wheeling, WV

May 9
Flight to New Haven, CT
GOTV: New Haven, CT
GOTV: Hartford, CT
Rally with Students for Harris at UConn: Storrs, CT

"As students, you all know exactly what we're tired of. We're tired of corruption, of rising prices, of violence at home and abroad. I will lower the cost of college and provide healthcare for all Americans while ending the war in Vietnam."

May 10
Flight to Baltimore, MD
Speech to local AFL-CIO branch: Baltimore, MD
GOTV: Baltimore, MD
GOTV: Frederick, MD

May 11
GOTV: Livonia, MI
GOTV: Southfield, MI
GOTV and rally with Students for Harris: Ann Arbor, MI
Town Hall: Ann Arbor, MI

May 12
GOTV and lunch with union workers: Flint, MI
Town Hall/Press Conference: Flint, MI
GOTV: Saginaw, MI
GOTV: Midland, MI

"Poverty is a big issue for me because I grew up poor. I didn't have a silver spoon, a gold spoon, or even a tin spoon. Some nights, we went to bed hungry. I want to make sure other Americans who are going through this can get help. This means simplifying the welfare system, ensuring educational access for all, and providing free healthcare. There's no excuse, America. We must continue the Democratic crusade against poverty."

May 13
Speech about the economy: Mt. Pleasant, MI
GOTV: Grand Rapids, MI
GOTV: Wyoming, MI
Town Hall: Muskegon, MI

"Under Nixon, the economy has slowed down. Prices are up and the US has a mounting trade imbalance. I will make the pointy headed fed bureaucrats keep prices down for Americans. Also, my investments into infrastructure, education, and the American worker will hit unemployment hard."

May 14
GOTV: Kalamazoo, MI
GOTV: Battle Creek, MI
Rally about inflation: Battle Creek, MI
GOTV: Jackson, MI

May 15
GOTV: Monroe, MI
Fundraiser: Taylor, MI
Ford Factory tour with workers: Dearborn, MI
GOTV: Dearborn, MI

May 16
GOTV: Hamtramck, MI
Speech to local Polish-American group: Detroit, MI
GOTV: Detroit, MI
Watch party with union workers/fundraiser: Detroit, MI

"Polish-Americans have made an undeniable contribution to our country through their hard work. I thank you all for your welcome tonight. I know, that as a populist, my platform best serves the working Polish-American community."

May 17
Fly to Providence, RI
Fundraising lunch: Pawtucket, RI
Appearing at local festival: Providence, RI
GOTV: Providence, RI

May 18
Rally about jobs: Providence, RI
GOTV: Providence, RI
GOTV: Cranston, RI
GOTV: Warwick, RI

"Unemployment climbs again! Nixon won't act to fix this problem. However, I will. I'm calling for an end to the war, a simpler and fairer tax code, and cuts in government inefficiencies. Some of the money saved and raised will provide for a major infrastructure plan that will invest in cities like Providence and create millions of jobs."

May 19
GOTV: Bristol, RI
GOTV and press conference: Newport, RI
Fundraiser: Newport, RI
GOTV: South Kingston, RI

May 20
GOTV w/Phillip Berrigan at Brown University: Providence, RI
Lunch with local Portuguese-American group: Providence, RI
GOTV: Woonsocket, RI
Flight to Portland, OR

May 21
GOTV: Portland, OR
Rally about Vietnam: Portland, OR
GOTV: Salem, OR
Rally about Vietnam: Eugene, OR

May 22
GOTV: Eugene, OR
GOTV/Town Hall: Bend, OR
GOTV: Portland, OR
GOTV: Medford, OR

VOTER: "What sets you apart from Senator George McGovern?"
Harris: "My plans are more fleshed out and make more sense, plain and simple. We will negotiate a peace that ensures that POW's come home, and that there won't be a power vacuum in Southeast Asia. I also have concrete plans to reform the economy on a large scale so it's made for the people, not Wall Street."

May 23
Meeting voters: Eureka, CA
Meeting Students for Harris at UC Berkeley: Berkeley, CA
Meeting voters: San Francisco, CA
Fundraising dinner w/Alan Cranston: San Francisco, CA
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #719 on: October 08, 2015, 08:19:06 PM »

I prefer having two turns so momentum can be better picked up near the end. When we had a month-long turn before NH it made sense since we had no primaries to contest during that time, but a month chock-full of primaries/caucuses is a different story.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #720 on: October 08, 2015, 10:05:10 PM »

Highlights of George Smathers Media Appearance

"The President's tenure has been a disaster for the American family in every way imaginable. We are not safer than we were four years ago, we are not more prosperous than we were four years ago, and it is because of this President's tenure we are in this place. And I worry that our party's nominee, no matter who is in the delegate lead, will end up deeply damaged thanks to this decisive primary."

"We need to get our men and women out of Vietnam as soon as we can. Not only have we lost lives in Vietnam, but we've damaged our reputation. We need a responsible, sensible plan to get our boys out of Vietnam. We can't rush, we can't risk complete communist domination, but we can't continue to spill blood in the region for what is now lost cause."

"The voters are getting anxious, and I understand their frustrations. President Nixon has played divide and conquer tactics in the last four years that have torn this country apart. We see it in our own Democratic party, where vast wings of the Democratic party which have largely fallen behind someone of the center have stood out. That concerns me. I will stand by our nominee should we get one, but if the convention turns ugly, I will not stand idly by as my party turns into a shooting gallery."

"The concerns of parents and the concerns of desegregation need to be weighed. I recognize that parents support community pride and are against the discipline problems that come with busing. I believe it is a clumsy way of tackling the problem of segregation. I believe the way we solve it is increased scholarships in college education for students of equal qualification, and empowering our local governments to put more money into impoverished local schools so that children get a better education."

"What I don't see some candidates for President talking about is hope. Hope for a better tomorrow. My friend John Kennedy didn't talk about the gloom and doom of America all the time, he talked about the greatness of America, and how we can change the world. How we can make ourselves better. How we can be even better than the generation before us. Leadership like that rather than the leadership of Richard Nixon is going to get us through the times we face."

YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #721 on: October 08, 2015, 10:05:28 PM »

Muskie Debate Performance

1.- The Senate has seen a lot of debates on the issue of defense planning and defense spending, and indeed candidates like Senator Muskie, Senator Harris and Senator McGovern have been forced to intervene in said debates. Question to you all, which are your plans regarding defense and how to they differ from the rest of the field?

"My plan differs from the other candidates, because my plan is actually a plan. With our combat forces in Vietnam pulled down to a minimum, our defense spending will naturally go down to much more reasonable levels. I am by no means calling for drastic cuts into our military. Our brave service members deserve the best, and with my plan, funds would continue to go towards ensuring our boys are the best equipped, best trained, and best protected out there. Frankly, some of my colleagues proposals on this stage are simply untenable. Calling for more military action is simply ridiculous and would only seek to increase our already ballooning national deficit."

2.- Welfare is also a theme hotly debated now, increasing calls not only from the conservative Republicans, but also from conservative Democrats, to cut on welfare spending. What are your plans regarding welfare, and can you provide concrete details of the sort of spending and initiatives you would like to see?

"The social safety net established by President Johnson was one of his most significant achievements of his presidency. Through his perseverance we are now seeing people who would otherwise not have access to healthcare being treated in our nation's hospitals. However, we cannot stop there. I am in favor of universal healthcare for all of our citizens, and a large investment into local hospitals, particularly those in rural areas. Someone's access to quality healthcare should not be dependent on where they live, and health equity across our nation is something that we should all strive for."

3.- More and more elected officers of the Democratic Party have come out saying that victory for any of you on the primaries and first ballot of the convention is increasingly unlikely, stressing that this year's DNC could be more chaotic than Chicago 1968. Considering the level of division, who would you like to choose as Vice-President to, so to speak, heal the divide? Would you run with any of the other candidates?

"I would certainly consider running with any of my fellow congressmen on the stage, particularly Senator Harris. Our party has never been more divided, and once this contentious nomination process is over, we must unite to face down Nixon, despite our differences with whoever the eventual nominee is. We as Democrats have more that unite us, than divide us, and we must make a stand for the working people of this great nation."

4.- The Paris Peace talks have all but collapsed as the United States resumes bombing operations in North Vietnam and South Vietnam is under attack. Should the talks be resumed at any cost?

"This war in Vietnam has been horrendous, and must be brought to a close. However, peace at any cost is to vague a statement. Where would we draw the line? Withdraw of American troops from the Pacific? Withdraw of American troops from South Korea? Of course not. An end to this war is of course an absolute priority for a future Muskie administration, however we cannot destroy our position on the world stage, in pursuit of that end."

1.- To Senator Muskie: Senator, the past weeks have seen your campaign lose several friendly states and take a major hit in the polls, a stark comparison to your earlier days as the frontrunner. Do you still believe you have what it takes to win the nomination despite these setbacks?

"Absolutely I do. The measure of a true leader is not perfection, not at all. The measure of a true leader is learning from one's past mistakes. The campaign I was running during the winter was a mess. I will be the first to acknowledge that. I took your nomination for granted. I ran a campaign based solely off of my electability, and that is all on me. I have learned from my losses. I am now running a campaign based off ideas, and based off my long held ideals. And I trust, once those ideas are heard, our campaign will go into the convention with several strong showing in the late primaries."
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #722 on: October 08, 2015, 10:45:23 PM »

Response to Sam Yorty
"Sam, I don't think you know how to listen. I just made it clear as day. On a personal level, I support it. On a governmental level, as I have repeated just about every day on the trail, I think there are better ways to go about integrating. I denied being in favor of forced government integration, which was your accusation, because I've never supported forced government integration. My campaign's been about the people, and keeping with that is the consistent stance I've held on busing.You're lying. You know it, and America knows it too. How about you tell me why you have such a terrible record of supporting Democrats? You seem to like Nixon an awful lot."

Response to Fred Harris

Since Senator Harris wants to distract you from his flip-flopping, I'll get this out of the way quickly first. It's true that I haven't always supported Democrats in the past. Did I once support Nixon? Yes, I did, but we all know how much of a disaster he is now, so I regret that. What my record does show is a strong history of independence. Like I've said, I'm not beholden to one party or one person on everything. I've always been very open about my record and I've never lied about it.

Meanwhile, you're lying right in front of millions of Americans watching, Fred. During our last debate, you said that you "stand firmly behind the policy of busing"--AKA, forced government integration. You also said this: "If we allow our children to continue in de facto segregation without busing, how will we repair frayed race relations?" That has none of the nuance that you're talking about tonight. You've been shifting on this issue like seawater, and it should be clear after tonight that you're not for the people. You're just another politician. You should be ashamed of yourself.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #723 on: October 08, 2015, 10:57:58 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 11:10:22 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie for America Turn 12

May 7th
Register new Democrats in Hartford, CT.
Rally with Fmr. Senator Dodd in Hartford, CT.
"Muskie is the best man for this November! He will stand up for the rights of the working man! He will end the war in Vietnam! He will kick Nixon out of the White House! Let's caucus for him May 9th!"
Fundraiser in Hartford, CT.

May 8th
Barnstorm in Middletown, CT.
Barnstorm in Norwalk, CT.
Register new Democrats in Hartford, CT.
Rally in New Haven, CT, with Fmr. Senator Dodd.
"With your help we can win this caucus! We are in a battle for the soul of the Democratic party. Will we become a party of ideas, or a party of vitriol? Will we become a party of doers, or a party of ideologues bent on purity? Help me tomorrow show that we are a party that can govern and that we are a party that can win!"

May 9th
Barnstorm in New Haven, CT, getting caucus goers out.
Barnstorm along the Connecticut coast, attending caucus locations.
Fly to Michigan.

May 10th
Speak to UAW members in Detroit, MI.
"For the past 4 years unions have been met with barely disguised hostility by the Nixon administration. It seems that Nixon and his cronies have forgotten who built this nation. It wasn't rich financiers, it was you! It was hard working people in Detroit, in Flint, and all across this nation, that made us the powerhouse that we are today."
Rally in Detroit, MI with Senator Hart.
Fundraiser in Detroit, MI.

May 11th
Meet and greet with Democrats in Grand Rapids, MI.
Barnstorm in Wyoming, MI.
Meet and greet with Democrats in Lansig, MI.

May 12th
Fly to Seattle, WA.
Meet with country party chair.
Rally in Seattle, WA.
Fundraiser, in Seattle, WA.
"As President I will truly end American deaths in Vietnam. Everyday that that hellish conflict goes on, more and more American boys die, and that is unacceptable. We must get our boys off the front line, and end the war with a lasting peace agreement."

May 13th
Barnstorm in Spokane, WA.
Register new voters in Spokane, WA.
Meet with county party chair.

May 14th
Fly to Michigan.
Meet voters in Flint, MI.
Register new voters in Flint, MI.
Fundraiser in Grand Rapids, MI.

May 15th
Meet with voters in Kalamazoo, MI.
Meet with voters in Battle Creek, MI.
Rally in Lansing, MI.
"We must come together as Americans, black and white, rich and poor. Only through unity can we retake the White House. Only together can ensure the lives of the little man are protected. Only together can we bring the Democratic Party back into the mainstream."

May 16th
Work with GOTV efforts in Detroit, MI.
Work with GOTV efforts in Grand Rapids, MI.
Fundraiser in Lansig, MI.
Fly to Rhode Island.

May 17th
Meet and greet in Newport, RI.
Barnstorm in Pawtucket, RI.
Fundraiser in Newport, RI.

May 18th
Register new voters in Providence, RI.
Register new voters in Warwick, RI.
Meet with local business owners in Portsmouth, RI.
"Small business owners like you are the embodiment of the American dream. You have shown that with hard work and grit, anything is possible."

May 19th
Fly to Oregon.
Meet with county party chair in Portland, OR.
Barnstorm in Portland, OR.
Rally in Portland, OR.
"Do you want a Democrat who can govern come 1973? Do you want a Democrat that will put the interests of the American people above any other? Then I'm your man, and come May 23rd, let's show the country that our campaign still has it."

May 20th
Meet with state leaders in Salem, OR.
Register new Democrats in Salem, OR.
Voter registration drive in Salem, OR suburbs.

May 21st
Voter registration drive in Portland, OR suburbs.
Meet with AFL-CIO members in Portland, OR.
Fundraiser in Portland, OR.
Fly to Rhode Island.

May 22nd
Meet voters in Bristol, RI.
"Small towns like these are the reason we must take the White House back this November. The President's economic policies are crippling town like Bristol all across this nation, and that is unacceptable."
Meet with party leaders in Warwick, RI.
Attend Providence, RI Democratic party meeting.

May 23rd
Work with GOTV staff to motivate voters in Providence, RI.
Make appearances in Warwick, and Newport, RI.
Watch returns back in Portland, ME after filing for the New York Primary.

Muskie Endorsers

Senator Phillip Hart of Michigan
-Work to inspire primary voters up to May 16th.
-Appeal to union leaders to sway members from Yorty and Wallace.
-Build party support for GOTV effort.

Fmr. Senator Thomas Dodd of Connecticut
-Attend Democratic party meetings across the state, building support for Muskie.
-Register first time Democrats for the caucus.

Past Endorsers

Fmr. Sec. Of Commerce and Fmr. Gov. of New York W. Averell Harriman
-Barnstorm in Connecticut.
-Fundraise in New York.

Fmr. Sec. Of State Dean Rusk
-Sell Muskie's foreign policy vision in Oregon and Washington.

Muskie GOTV

Michigan
-Appeal to union members uncomfortable with Wallace or Yorty.
-Appeal to mainstream Democrats in the upper peninsula.

Connecticut
-Use Fmr. Senator Dodd's connection to get out devoted Democrats to the polls.
-Win over Democrats turned off by McGovern's liberalness, and campaign errors in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts.
-Bring Muskie staff from Maine to direct GOTV efforts.

Rhode Island
-Bring Muskie staff from Maine to direct GOTV efforts.
-Meet as many primary voters as possible.
-Win over Democrats worried about a brokered convention and a reactionary nominee.

Washington
-Win over party establishment in major cities.
-Use establishment to get out the vote of devoted Democrats.
-Win as many delegates as possible.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #724 on: October 08, 2015, 11:03:19 PM »

Wallace files for all upcoming caucuses and primaries.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies