Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:08:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108420 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: October 09, 2015, 10:28:23 PM »

Fmr. Mayor of Bridgeport, CT: Samuel Tedesco:
- Lead GOTV in Bridgeport
Mayor of Detroit, MI: Roman Gribbs:
- Lead GOTV in Michigan
Gov. of RI: Frank Licht:
- Attend Barnstorm in Providence, May 23
Political Operator: John Bailey of CT:
- Chair North-Eastern Campaign
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #751 on: October 09, 2015, 11:19:14 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 01:11:03 AM by Intell »

Wallace Endorsements

Joseph Tydings

Tydings will canvas around Maryland and get voters to vote for Wallace and manage an infrastructure of GOTV campaign especially on polling day driving people to the polls.

Bob Mollohan

Mollohan will inform people about Wallace as a true populist and lay out a GOTV campaign aroud the state of West Virginia especially in his district.

Millard Tydings

Millard Tydings will canvas around Maryland driving uninformed voters to the polls to vote for Wallace and giving speeches and telling voters in events to vote for Wallace.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #752 on: October 09, 2015, 11:41:32 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 12:05:50 AM by Intell »

Lawlessness

Lawlessness is breaking out throughout the country

Crime is rampant

Criminals are allowed to roam the streets free.

]

Let's maintain law and order

Put the criminals in Jail

Justice for the Victims

Want Law and Order, Vote Wallace

Michigan: 20 000
Maryland:10 000
Rhode Island: 5 000
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #753 on: October 09, 2015, 11:54:26 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 09:09:50 PM by Intell »

For the Workers

Want a True Populist

A populist who'll stand with workers

A populist who'll stand for you way of life

A populist that will fund infrastructure and transport programs

A populist who'll enhance energy and the Coal Industry

A populist who'll fight the EPA

And a Populist who'll fight for the miners and for unions not some Environmental Agency

Wallace a man for the people.

WestVirginia- 20 000
Maryland- $10 000
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #754 on: October 09, 2015, 11:56:48 PM »

Does Wallace even have any money for ads after last turn?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #755 on: October 09, 2015, 11:58:32 PM »

Does Wallace even have any money for ads after last turn?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #756 on: October 10, 2015, 12:29:20 AM »

Press Conference

REPORTER: "Senator Harris, what needs to be done for a more equitable economy?"
HARRIS: "First, we must raise the minimum wage to $2.00, as I have called for. This step pushes thousands of Americans out of poverty without damaging small businesses. Second, we need to rewrite the tax code so as to erase corporate loopholes and use this revenue to expand the social safety net. Third, there needs to be a large scale jobs program. In my administration, this will come from investment in roads, bridges, airports, and other key infrastructure investments."

REPORTER: "Right now, it appears that the Democratic Convention will be a brokered one. Will you stay in the race until the very end or throw your support behind a compromise candidate?"
HARRIS: "I think it's too early to decide on a definitive convention strategy. That will very much depend on the next few weeks. I'd like to see a wide choice for Democrats, and I'm possibly willing to support a fellow true populist who preaches the politics of hope if that's what it takes to nominate a reasonable candidate. However, our fight alongside the American people must continue, so for now, I'm staying in."

REPORTER: "American farmers continue to struggle. What will you do to help?"
HARRIS: "Having grown up on a family farm, I know what it takes to save this glorious American trademark. My administration will institute an executive order that encourages the government, in prison systems, the military, and schools, to buy American-grown, American-picked food. Also, I will make sure that price supports are equitable and balanced. By making sure that the big businesses pay their taxes, the mom and pop farmers can get relief."

REPORTER: "How will your administration deal with rising prices?"
HARRIS: "I've been rolling out a plan piece by piece. The first aspect of a proper system of price controls comes from directives to the federal reserve to change their monetary practices to slow inflation. Secondly, making the government more efficient will allow for economic policy to be more flexible and effective. I will eliminate excessive red tape and duplication within regulatory agencies, to prevent redundancies and increased costs being passed on to consumers. Third, I will work with congress to increase the minimum wage. In combination with my jobs plan, this will spur the economy through added spending, allowing the economy to grow and increasing wages across the board. Fourth, I am proposing 'recession insurance' for municipalities and states. This fund would be of assistance to state and local government in case of an economic crunch so that they can fulfill spending needs for things like education. Fifth, and finally, for now, we will break up monopolies on certain industries that raise prices at their whims, to the detriment of consumers."

REPORTER: "Say something nice about each of your opponents!"
HARRIS: "Yes, haha. I promise you, despite some of the policy conflicts I have, I can say something nice about each one of the fellas I face for the nomination. First, I'll start with Senator Muskie. Senator Muskie has a vast amount of experience and a deep knowledge base, which I truly respect. Having worked with him, I can attest to his loyalty to the party and its goals. Representative Udall has worked tirelessly in the house, and I can see him climbing the party's ranks. He's got a bright future ahead. Next up, Senator McGovern is my favorite opponent. He's a remarkably well versed, kindly, honest man. I truly admire his passion for helping others, especially with all of his work to combat hunger. Moreover, Governor Wallace has strong convictions, and while we disagree on many issues, I can respect his passion. He's managed to cultivate such popularity in his home state. Mayor Yorty, I know he and I fight a lot, and I won't back down from debating the record, but at the end of the day, he's a decent guy. I'd quite like to have a beer with him and discuss football. I somehow doubt we can even agree on sports preferences, but it'd be a fun time. Like we always say in Oklahoma, sports and politics are two of the most divisive, but important issues."
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #757 on: October 10, 2015, 01:12:02 AM »

Wallace wishes everyone good luck on the results of the upcoming states.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #758 on: October 10, 2015, 01:26:10 AM »

Muskie Debate Performance

"My plan differs from the other candidates, because my plan is actually a plan. With our combat forces in Vietnam pulled down to a minimum, our defense spending will naturally go down to much more reasonable levels. I am by no means calling for drastic cuts into our military. Our brave service members deserve the best, and with my plan, funds would continue to go towards ensuring our boys are the best equipped, best trained, and best protected out there. Frankly, some of my colleagues proposals on this stage are simply untenable. Calling for more military action is simply ridiculous and would only seek to increase our already ballooning national deficit."

May I respond to this? Senator Muskie, I don't take our national security lightly at all, and I hope you don't either. The fact of the matter is that we are currently facing the greatest threat to global peace since the Second World War. Communism is a great evil and it has spread to multiple countries, and many more to come if things keep going their way. Why shouldn't the military be bolstered and ready for action if, say, the Soviets make some sudden hostile advances? You should know that these communists are relentless and aren't afraid to use force against the enemy. I want to devote more resources toward making our military the best far and away in the world. We shouldn't be timid in defending our interests, and in dangerous times like these, we have every reason to make sure that we're prepared for the worst. Judging by what you're saying, you want it both ways. The only problem is that it doesn't work like that!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #759 on: October 10, 2015, 08:58:26 AM »

McGovern Files for all upcoming primaries/caucuses.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #760 on: October 10, 2015, 08:58:51 AM »

Muskie Debate Performance

"My plan differs from the other candidates, because my plan is actually a plan. With our combat forces in Vietnam pulled down to a minimum, our defense spending will naturally go down to much more reasonable levels. I am by no means calling for drastic cuts into our military. Our brave service members deserve the best, and with my plan, funds would continue to go towards ensuring our boys are the best equipped, best trained, and best protected out there. Frankly, some of my colleagues proposals on this stage are simply untenable. Calling for more military action is simply ridiculous and would only seek to increase our already ballooning national deficit."

May I respond to this? Senator Muskie, I don't take our national security lightly at all, and I hope you don't either. The fact of the matter is that we are currently facing the greatest threat to global peace since the Second World War. Communism is a great evil and it has spread to multiple countries, and many more to come if things keep going their way. Why shouldn't the military be bolstered and ready for action if, say, the Soviets make some sudden hostile advances? You should know that these communists are relentless and aren't afraid to use force against the enemy. I want to devote more resources toward making our military the best far and away in the world. We shouldn't be timid in defending our interests, and in dangerous times like these, we have every reason to make sure that we're prepared for the worst. Judging by what you're saying, you want it both ways. The only problem is that it doesn't work like that!

"Certainly, I do not take our national security lightly, Mayor. I served in uniform for three years during the Second World War. In 1971, we spent nearly $400 billion on the defense budget. Our men in uniform are already the best trained and best equipped in the world, and our military is the envy of every other nation. You are advocating for a United States which is the policeman of the world, defending whatever our interests may be with boots on the ground. We have already lost too many lives in the war in Vietnam, and yet now, you are advocating for even more military action. Where would the next quagmire be? A central African state overrun by rebels? The jungles of Indonesia where communists are rumored to be hiding? We must defend our interests, no one on this stage is denying that. But, we must do it in a smart and whenever possible diplomatic way. And frankly, your advocacy of a foreign policy more aggressive than that of Genghis Khan, is disturbing, particularly for a leading contender for our nomination."
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #761 on: October 10, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »

"Certainly, I do not take our national security lightly, Mayor. I served in uniform for three years during the Second World War. In 1971, we spent nearly $400 billion on the defense budget. Our men in uniform are already the best trained and best equipped in the world, and our military is the envy of every other nation. You are advocating for a United States which is the policeman of the world, defending whatever our interests may be with boots on the ground. We have already lost too many lives in the war in Vietnam, and yet now, you are advocating for even more military action. Where would the next quagmire be? A central African state overrun by rebels? The jungles of Indonesia where communists are rumored to be hiding? We must defend our interests, no one on this stage is denying that. But, we must do it in a smart and whenever possible diplomatic way. And frankly, your advocacy of a foreign policy more aggressive than that of Genghis Khan, is disturbing, particularly for a leading contender for our nomination."

First of all, I respect and thank you for your service to the country. However, with all due respect, calling my foreign policy more aggressive than Genghis Khan's borders on slander. Genghis Khan and his men raped and pillaged entire villages and countries. If you really think that's what I'm calling for, then you're not acting like a serious candidate for President. My foreign policy is quite simple: we have a duty to defend our country's interests and we must do what we can to halt the spread of communism. I'm not advocating unilateral actions all of the time, either; I think it's quite important that we partner up with our allies to advance common goals when it's appropriate. What you don't seem to understand now is that communist infiltration of different states does pose a threat to our national security, because the communists' ultimate goal is to destroy the West as we know it. You voted for going into Vietnam, Ed! Why did you vote that way to begin with? Clearly you thought we had reason to.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #762 on: October 10, 2015, 03:05:59 PM »

I will be posting late tonight, as I have a marching contest down in Norfolk this evening.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #763 on: October 10, 2015, 08:04:09 PM »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: One Hectic May

Sam Yorty and his campaign are working around the clock to earn a score of victories in May as well as to maximize their delegate wins, continuing the momentum from late April to early May as Yorty surged to the lead in delegates. To achieve these goals, the following general actions are being taken in all of the primaries and caucuses this turn:

-Targeting undecided voters, highlighting Yorty’s independent streak and willingness to “speak the truth” on law and order along with other issues
-Targeting blue collar voters in urban and suburban areas, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting ethnic voters statewide, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting white collar voters in urban areas, highlighting the economy, education, and law and order
-Targeting low-income voters across the state (especially in rural areas), highlighting the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting union members across the state, highlighting labor, the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting veterans and those currently serving across the state, highlighting a muscular foreign policy and new attention on veterans' affairs
-Targeting moderate and conservative Democrats, citing Yorty's positions on law and order, the economy, and foreign policy
-Targeting disaffected Democrats across the state who normally don't vote
-Targeting Republicans to vote in the Democratic primaries, highlighting Yorty as the candidate with the greatest crossover appeal
-Persuading Muskie supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Muskie as "just another politician" and showcasing Yorty as a similar moderate Democrat
-Persuading Harris supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Harris for his extreme anti-war views on Vietnam and pointing to Yorty as the more "genuine" champion of issues such as labor, education, healthcare, etc.
-Persuading Wallace supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Wallace for his flip-flopping on issues and portraying as a "figure of the past," while pulling them in on issues such as busing, law and order, Vietnam, and labor

For specific states being targeted, the following actions are also underway for GOTV:

Nebraska
-Pummel McGovern as weak on national security and a danger to the fabric of the nation
-Pummel Harris as a flip-flopper and Washington insider who supports busing and is out of touch with voters
-Pummel Wallace as a radical who supports nationalization and has no chance to win
-Take in Muskie voters who acknowledge their candidate has very little chance of winning the primary
-Actively recruit Germans
-Actively recruit farmers
-Push for a strong performance (>15%)

West Virginia
-Greatly use Sen. Robert Byrd as a surrogate, attacking Harris and Wallace
-Pummel Harris as a flip-flopper and Washington insider who supports busing and is out of touch with voters
-Pummel Wallace as a radical who supports nationalization and has no chance to win
-Take in Muskie voters who acknowledge their candidate has very little chance of winning the primary
-Actively recruit coal miners to the campaign
-Actively recruit Evangelicals, citing Yorty as a family values candidate
-Aggressively push for a victory (to steal Harris's thunder)

Michigan
-Pummel Harris as a flip-flopper and Washington insider who is out of touch with voters
-Pummel Muskie as a flip-flopping has-been whose time in the campaign is up
-Actively recruit union members
-Actively recruit Evangelicals, citing Yorty as a family values candidate
-Actively recruit Polish voters
-Aggressively push for a clear victory

Maryland
-Pummel Harris as a flip-flopper and Washington insider who is out of touch with voters
-Aggressively recruit union members
-Actively recruit Catholics, citing Yorty as a family values candidate
-Actively recruit Italians
-Aggressively push for a victory (to steal Wallace and McGovern's thunder)

Washington
-Pummel McGovern as weak on national security and a danger to the fabric of the nation
-Actively recruit Asians
-Push for a strong performance (>20%)

Oregon
-Actively recruit Asians
-Actively recruit Scandinavians
-Push for a strong performance (>20%)

For this turn, the Yorty campaign is going negative and trying to bring down the other candidates by exposing their flaws. With increasing pressure on Yorty following him taking the lead in delegates, the campaign acknowledges it must be more aggressive with its opponents in order to stay considerably ahead. Fred Harris is spun as a covert insider whose words can't be trusted, George Wallace as a big-government extremist who is completely unelectable, and Ed Muskie and a washed-up career politician whose time has passed long ago. With the recent debate, the campaign has been spinning Yorty's performance afterward as a breath of fresh air who's unafraid to stand up for his beliefs. After all of the work that the campaign has done these past few weeks, they hope and expect Yorty to come out dominant and with additional momentum going into the California primary.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #764 on: October 10, 2015, 08:11:25 PM »

Spiral seems to be doing quite a bit of pummeling Tongue
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #765 on: October 10, 2015, 08:41:17 PM »

TV Ad: People on the Street

We asked regular people on the street what they think about Mayor Sam Yorty.

“Oh, he’s a fighter! And he’s feisty!”

“The guy is honest, and I can’t say that about most politicians.”

“He’s got real courage to stand up and not be like all the other candidates.”

“I don’t agree with him all the time, but at least I know he’s actually fighting for people like me.”

“He cares about people. He wants to protect me and my family.”

“You can tell he’s an independent thinker. No one has bought him out.”

“We need more leaders who have conviction, so that’s why I’m supporting him.”

The verdict is clear: Sam Yorty fights for people like you.

TV Ad: Flip-Flopping Fred

Fred Harris says he's a straight talker, but his talking says otherwise. Just look at the issue of busing.

"I stand firmly behind the policy of busing. [. . .] Busing is part of the big picture of general societal integration and ending racism." --February 1972

"I've never said I support nationwide busing. Busing is an inefficient way to do things." --April 1972

"Something needs to be done. I personally believe in busing as part of a broader solution." --May 1972

With Flip-Flopping Fred all over the place, no wonder voters are confused!

If his words can't be trusted on the campaign trail, how can they be trusted in the White House?

TV: Senator Byrd Speaks

Good evening, fellow West Virginians. This is your senator Robert Byrd speaking. I'm here to talk to you about an important choice you'll be making in a couple of days. You have a fellow from Oklahoma who calls himself an outsider but is part of the Washington establishment, and he can't be straight with the American people on where he stands. You also have a rather rambunctious gentleman from Alabama who calls for policies that the Soviets would like! If you aren't happy with these choices, I don't blame ya. But there is an alternative. A man of honor, integrity, and spirit. I'm talking, of course, about my friend Sam Yorty. If you want real change, then I encourage you to vote for Mr. Yorty on the 9th. Thank y'all, and God bless.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #766 on: October 10, 2015, 09:03:04 PM »

Sam Yorty Surrogates

Jimmie Davis: Barnstorming and GOTV in WV, MI, MD
John McKeithen: Barnstorming and GOTV in WV, NE, MD
Harry F. Byrd, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in WV, NE, KY
Mills E. Goodwin, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in MI, MD, OR
Sam Ervin: Barnstorming and GOTV in WV, MD, AR
James F. Byrnes: Barnstorming and GOTV in MI, MD, OR
William Loeb: Barnstorming and GOTV in MI, MD, OR, WA
W. Haydon Burns: Barnstorming and GOTV in MI, MD, NE, WA
Otto Kerner, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in MI, MD, OR, WA
John W. King: Barnstorming and GOTV in NE, MI, MD, OR
Ross Perot: Fundraising in TX, CA
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming and GOTV in MI, NE, KY
Robert Byrd: Barnstorming and GOTV in WV
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #767 on: October 10, 2015, 09:12:44 PM »

Statement from the Yorty Campaign

Following the recent debate, Senator Muskie has officially disqualified himself from the nomination. By comparing Mayor Yorty to a brutal tyrant like Genghis Khan, Muskie has raised the standards for hyperbole to new levels. It's clear that the increasingly desperate Muskie campaign wants to claim any oxygen it can get, but its supply is almost gone. For Senator Muskie's own sake, he should withdraw from the race to avoid further embarrassing himself.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #768 on: October 10, 2015, 09:21:16 PM »

When will the results be out?
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #769 on: October 10, 2015, 09:38:03 PM »

First of all, I respect and thank you for your service to the country. However, with all due respect, calling my foreign policy more aggressive than Genghis Khan's borders on slander. Genghis Khan and his men raped and pillaged entire villages and countries. If you really think that's what I'm calling for, then you're not acting like a serious candidate for President. My foreign policy is quite simple: we have a duty to defend our country's interests and we must do what we can to halt the spread of communism. I'm not advocating unilateral actions all of the time, either; I think it's quite important that we partner up with our allies to advance common goals when it's appropriate. What you don't seem to understand now is that communist infiltration of different states does pose a threat to our national security, because the communists' ultimate goal is to destroy the West as we know it. You voted for going into Vietnam, Ed! Why did you vote that way to begin with? Clearly you thought we had reason to.

"And would you not say that what we are doing in Vietnam has any comparison at all to past atrocities? The unnecessary bombing of civilians, the unnecessary killing of civilians, these are war crimes, and these are things that your foreign policy would breed. I am not comparing you to Genghis Khan, I think you realize that Sam. It was a comparison. And, I'm glad you brought up my vote for Vietnam. I thought at the time that we were defending a democratic state in southeast Asia, however, it quickly became clear that our government had no regard for democracy in South Vietnam, as time and time again, we supported repressive autocracies, and frankly, American lives should not be spent protecting a dictatorship."

Also, forgot my closing statement:

"We as democrats have a decision to make. Will we let demagogues take our party to the right of Richard Nixon? Will we let ideologues take our party so far to the left that we will never hold the highest office in the land again? I say no, and I hope you will to. We're democrats for Pete's sake! We are the party of Roosevelt, and Truman, of Kennedy and Humphrey. We are a party of ideas, and real solutions, not of fanciful dreams and hateful rhetoric. Join me, and let's take our party back. Join me, and let's take back the White House. Thank you, goodnight, and God bless America."
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #770 on: October 10, 2015, 09:39:49 PM »

Statement from Muskie Campaign

We would have hoped that the Yorty campaign would have grown thicker skin by now, but clearly that is not the case. Clearly Senator Muskie was using hyperbole to show how extreme Mayor Yorty's foreign policy was, and the results that it would breed. We wish Mayor Yorty luck in the upcoming contests, and hope to see him at the convention.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #771 on: October 10, 2015, 10:13:08 PM »

Statement from Senator Birch Bayh

I am becoming increasingly alarmed by the decorum displayed by my friends currently seeking the Democratic nomination. After four rough years under President Richard Nixon, it was my hope that this primary would provide Democratic voters with fresh, optimistic perspectives on how to advance our nation. Instead we have seen more of the partisan, petty politics that has plagued Washington D.C.

As Democrats, it is absolutely essential that our party unites in the coming weeks behind one nominee, one ticket that can defeat President Nixon in November. I urge the candidates in this race to recommit themselves to their reasonings for originally entering the race - we cannot afford four more years of a Republican administration. Leave out the attacks, and instead prove to voters why your ideas are the best to lead our party into the White House. A united Democratic Party is necessary for victory in November, and I pray that Democrats can unify as quickly as possible, whether unification comes through one of the candidates in the field or an alternate route.

May God bless the Democratic Party and the United States.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #772 on: October 10, 2015, 10:51:33 PM »

Career Failure
(TV)
"Mayor Yorty truly has guts. He has the guts to lie about my record and run away from his own career record of failure.

First, to address his lies about me. I have always addressed busing as part of the general solution to racism. I've said over and over that I plan to solve issues of prejudice through more effective ways, and that although I personally see busing as decent, I think it comes down to the American people. America, don't mistake a moderate common-sense stance for flip flopping. My stance on busing is the only one that truly reflects the will of the people. I don't believe all Americans are extremists. Saigon Sam is trying to trick you. You and I grew up with the same values of honesty and hard work, not extremism and nasty demagoguery.

Mayor Yorty's trying to mask his own record, but lucky for us, it's pretty well known in California. Mayor Yorty is no outsider. He has spent nearly 40 years in politics. Why don't we look into his status?He's been all over the place. In 1936, he got support from the local Communist Party. Isn't that interesting? However, in 1960, he abandoned the Democratic Party entirely to support Richard Nixon. That's right, the same Richard Nixon who's taken an ax to our economy and damaged our global standing. Where is the commitment to Americans? All I see is opportunism. Mayor Yorty resorts to baseless false attacks because he doesn't want to tell you about his terms as mayor. He failed to prevent riots when he could have done so by addressing community concerns. He let crime increase. In fact, to drive home his career politician lifestyle, Mayor Yorty was implicated in a scandal involving bribes being handed to port officials. Heck, Sam Yorty recently sued a cartoonist for criticizing his reign as mayor. Is this the kind of behavior that reflects on a so-called maverick? Party switching, bribery, crime? Sounds like an insider to me. Mayor Yorty's a career politician who doesn't belong in the white house. Let's send him back to his ritzy country club.

I'm tired of politics as usual, and I'm sure you are too. Vote for the people. Vote for Harris.

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #773 on: October 10, 2015, 11:04:45 PM »

Posting real soon, sorry for the delay our band just got back!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #774 on: October 11, 2015, 12:28:33 AM »

"And would you not say that what we are doing in Vietnam has any comparison at all to past atrocities? The unnecessary bombing of civilians, the unnecessary killing of civilians, these are war crimes, and these are things that your foreign policy would breed. I am not comparing you to Genghis Khan, I think you realize that Sam. It was a comparison. And, I'm glad you brought up my vote for Vietnam. I thought at the time that we were defending a democratic state in southeast Asia, however, it quickly became clear that our government had no regard for democracy in South Vietnam, as time and time again, we supported repressive autocracies, and frankly, American lives should not be spent protecting a dictatorship."

OTL: Loving this exchange, though I'll end it here.

Ed, do you really think that I believe the war in Vietnam has gone smoothly? No, of course not! We've seen a great deal of incompetence coming from the administration and I've been just as quick to criticize their actions as the rest of you have. The only difference I have with you is that stopping communism is a priority under my administration. For the audience at home, I'd like to relay a story of mine. Back in 1940, I boldly stood up and advocated for declaring war on Hitler's Germany. That didn't come through at the time, but we soon learned what great evils the Third Reich was capable of, and we ultimately did the right thing in getting involved in World War II. Why do I mention this story? Because I'm just as certain of the evils of the communists today as I was of the fascists of yesterday. If we don't act, then we may regret what's to come. We as leaders of this country have got to stand up and defend life, liberty, and happiness, because if we don't, it may all go away in the blink of an eye.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies