Greece parliamentary election - September 20, 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:08:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Greece parliamentary election - September 20, 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Greece parliamentary election - September 20, 2015  (Read 44294 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« on: August 20, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »

Can't think of a government term that has failed worse than Tsipras'. Won the elections as the new Greek king with all kinds of promises, went on a tour through Europe as if he's Lady Gaga, and then got zero respect in the EU. Promised to change things, promised to make lives better, promised Greece not to be humiliated anymore, yet a few months later he staunchly defended the biggest austerity package Greece has ever seen. Books will be written about this U-turn. I thought I understood his strategy when he called the referendum: let the people decide to leave the eurozone, and then start again at point zero. I think he realized that the consequences would be too risky for Greece, that the consequences would hurt too many people - but he realized it too late. Of course, it was an even bigger mistake to think the other EU countries would show some compassion. I think of Tsipras as a person who genuinely wanted to do good, but who found out that reality sometimes doesn't work that way, even if it should. The "Syriza experience" will probably be another blow to many Greeks, who wanted change. This will make even more Greeks cynical about democracy, which deeply saddens me (and which will come with political consequences absolutely nobody will like). There are no winners, only losers in this story.

He's got Syriza +4% in the polls and his party is still (loosely) united despite members voting against what is effectively law written outside of the country's policy making process. They would still rather support him than let ND take the +50 bonus seats.

Tsipras will be PM for another 5 more years. Then, and only then, will we be able to judge him. Because all he has done in six months is negotiate. Had any alternative been presented with victory there wouldn't even be negotiation. So he is for the moment viewed as a success. In Greece, anyway.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 04:55:04 AM »

If the anti Tsipras people control the CC, couldn't THEY take over SYRIZA and force Tsipras to start a break away?

Because brand Syriza is toxic to the people who oppose the bailout. Voters don't keep up with stuff like this the way we do.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »

How much will (illegal) immigration be considered when voting, considering most Greeks appear to be resigned to their fate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies