Is there such a thing as "positive metal"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:38:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is there such a thing as "positive metal"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is there such a thing as "positive metal"?  (Read 550 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2015, 09:57:13 PM »

I'm thinking of the metal equivalent to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_hardcore

It came to me when this band came on my Pandora with this bio excerpt:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And that got me thinking, there's actually not much rebellious about hardcore music or the scene at all. It really only is rebellious at all if your parents are conservatives. I'm thinking of the "shock rock" music in the 70s and 80s and how this is the polar opposite. It's music by pretty normal looking people except they likely have a few more tattoos and piercings than average who are all AGAINST violence, and suicide, and disrespecting anyone. Now compare that message to say, early gangsta rap. Consider that this joke cover of Baby Got Back was controversial for degrading and objectifying women. Hell you even have straightedge bands, meaning there are indeed bands with songs about how they DON'T drink or do drugs! Quite frankly it's almost an after school special-style message with mosh parts. There's country music that's edgier.

I'm thinking of some stuff Einzige posted on AAD, old style hardcore and thrash crossover with such a polar opposite message. It might be "all liberal, all the time", but it's the least rebellious or shocking liberalism possible, unless you are particularly bothered by profanity. Quite a stark contrast to even 80s punk music in that respect. I mean imagine the reaction of someone previously unaware that the modern day successors to the Dead Kennedys are a bunch of crying on stage people with SJW-style messages and hold fests with workshops about challenging masculinity.

But I kind of digressed. Is there any metal with a message like this? It's kind of funny how much it stands in stark contrast to death and black metal, shock rock, and hardcore gangsta rap, yet is so still strongly opposed to the same conservatives who hated that stuff.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:23:37 PM »

I'd guess this is a fairly common type of ion.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 05:35:08 AM »

Is there such a thing as BRTD's post that isn't actually a piece of garbage?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »

Metals do have a tendency to form cations very readily. 

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies