What would a John Kasich administration look like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:27:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What would a John Kasich administration look like?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would a John Kasich administration look like?  (Read 1547 times)
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2015, 11:12:35 PM »

If Governor John Kasich was elected president in 2016, who would be in his cabinet?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:53:25 PM »

Probably not much different from any other Republican cabinet.

He has one quasi-progressive policy, means tested poor people doctors for the poor. Other than that he's a generic conservative.

I imagine because he's seen as a liberal, his cabinet might even be slightly more conservative to counter that.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 02:02:43 AM »

Secretary of State: Jon Huntsman, Jr.(R-UT)

National Security Advisor: William McRaven(I-CT)

Secretary of the Treasury: Paul Ryan(R-WI)

Federal Reserve Chairman: Roger Ferguson, Jr.(R-NY)

Secretary of Defense: Michael Mullen(R-CA) or Lindsey Graham(R-SC)
Attorney General: Bill McCollum(R-FL)
Secretary of the Interior: John Thune(R-ND)
Secretary of Agriculture: Donald Evans(R-TX)
Secretary of Commerce: Carly Fiorina(R-CA)
Secretary of Labor: John Porcari(D-MD)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Christine Todd Whitman(R-NI)
Secretary of Education: Richard Broadhead(I-NC)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Josh Romney(R-UT)
Secretary of Transportation: Samuel Bodman(R-IN)
Secretary of Energy: Theodore Kassinger(R-VA)
U. N. Ambassador: Mark Kirk(R-IL)
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 02:18:48 AM »

White Bread
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 06:49:36 AM »

Fiscally Conservative and Resopnisble
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 07:43:03 AM »

Lots of people in the financial sector.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 09:28:28 AM »

It'd be just like the Bush administration.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 10:00:04 AM »

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 10:00:42 AM »

It'd be just like the Bush administration.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »

Am I the only one hoping for Arnold Schwarzenegger as secretary of energy?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 12:55:54 PM »

I'm fairly certain that's illegal, as he was born in Austria.

Since he is friends with the Terminator, he might choose (one of) Schwarzenegger's brother-in-law, the former Mayor of Santa Monica, Bobby Shriver, or the former Maryland State Delegate, Mark Shriver, or the Chairman of the Special Olympics, Timothy Shriver, or the former potential Democratic candidate for Governor of Florida in 2006 and 2010, Anthony Shriver.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 01:03:46 PM »

Since he is friends with the Terminator, he might choose (one of) Schwarzenegger's brother-in-law, the former Mayor of Santa Monica, Bobby Shriver, or the former Maryland State Delegate, Mark Shriver, or the Chairman of the Special Olympics, Timothy Shriver, or the former potential Democratic candidate for Governor of Florida in 2006 and 2010, Anthony Shriver.

It isn't illegal. The current Secretary of the Interior, Sally Jewell, was born in the UK and is not a natural born citizen. She just isn't in the line of succession.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 01:17:07 PM »

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 01:19:58 PM »

It isn't illegal. The current Secretary of the Interior, Sally Jewell, was born in the UK and is not a natural born citizen. She just isn't in the line of succession.

Sorry. My mistake.

If Schwarzenegger is funding his campaign, as we believe, then it's certainly a possibility.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 03:44:37 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2015, 04:13:47 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

It would probably be an unimaginative Cabinet.  Perhaps a token black (Kenneth Blackwell of Ohio) in some position (maybe an important one), but mostly Republican office-holders and insiders. Familiar names, all.  Maybe Condoleeza Rice will be his running mate; despite her pro-choice background, the GOP would bite the bullet if it came to that.

I tried hard to come up with a phrase other than "token black", but nothing explains the likelihood of any black Kasich would pick for his Cabinet.  That's not a knock on Kasich or an implication that he's a racist, but it is a reflection on just how lily-white the GOP has become. FEWER blacks are Republicans now than before Obama took office, and given that black loyalty to the Democrats was over 90% BEFORE Obama.  That's saying something about our politics.  
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »

I think that Bob Ehrlich would be part of a Republican cabinet, no matters who the President is.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »

It would probably be an unimaginative Cabinet.  Perhaps a token black (Kenneth Blackwell of Ohio) in some position (maybe an important one), but mostly Republican office-holders and insiders. Familiar names, all.  Maybe Condoleeza Rice will be his running mate; despite her pro-choice background, the GOP would bite the bullet if it came to that.

I tried hard to come up with a phrase other than "token black", but nothing explains the likelihood of any black Kasich would pick for his Cabinet.  That's not a knock on Kasich or an implication that he's a racist, but it is a reflection on just how lily-white the GOP has become. FEWER blacks are Republicans now than before Obama took office, and given that black loyalty to the Democrats was over 90% BEFORE Obama.  That's saying something about our politics.  

Actually, Kasich has rejected that.

He realized that he was going to be called racist no matter what he did and appointed qualified people to the right position. Unfortunately, African-American Republicans are so rare in Ohio that he was unable to find a qualified candidate of that race.

Now, an African-American lady who happens to be the vice chairman of the state's Democratic Party is serving on his police reform board, so there's that.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »

Actually, Kasich has rejected that.

He realized that he was going to be called racist no matter what he did and appointed qualified people to the right position. Unfortunately, African-American Republicans are so rare in Ohio that he was unable to find a qualified candidate of that race.

Now, an African-American lady who happens to be the vice chairman of the state's Democratic Party is serving on his police reform board, so there's that.

I would suspect that the NATIONAL pressure to be inclusive in his Cabinet selection will be far more than what he faced in Columbus.  Oddly enough, Bush 43 had one of the most "diverse" Cabinets in the history of the US, and got little credit for it.  Globalists though they may be, and opportunists via Lee Atwater, I don't consider the Bushes to be racist people.

But I do wonder how many prominent African-Americans would serve in the Cabinet of a Republican President who will start out from one of the most conservative places in the history of our Republic.  The Obama years have positioned the GOP as far more unfriendly to blacks then at the beginning.  Some of this stems from the "You lie!" comment from Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) during a SOTU address; the condemnation of this act by fellow Republicans was muted, but the fact that it even happened was taken as a PERSONAL insult to black folks, and not wrongfully so.  (Wilson would never have said that to even Bill Clinton.) 

I do agree with Lindsey Graham on his observation that the GOP isn't turning out Angry White Males fast enough to regain its advantage in Presidential politics.  But a lot of the personal attacks on Obama during his years in office (the Muslim thing, the Birther issue, the demands to see his college transcript) were VERY MUCH RACIST IN NATURE.  The GOP only has itself to blame for not getting a handle on that stuff, which has little to do with public policy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies