If Walker wins Iowa and Kasich wins NH, what do you think will happen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:31:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Walker wins Iowa and Kasich wins NH, what do you think will happen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Walker wins Iowa and Kasich wins NH, what do you think will happen?  (Read 946 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2015, 04:38:17 PM »

Will Kasich be perceived as the "frontrunner" in that scenario?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 04:40:30 PM »

Boredom will be perceived as the frontrunner.
mencken
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »

I would think Walker would be favored to win South Carolina.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 04:56:40 PM »

Yes, kasich.the winner of NH tends to get more momentum from their win than the Iowa winner
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 05:08:42 PM »

Trump emerges as the front runner and wins the Republican nomination in a closely contested three way battle between himself, Kasich, and Walker.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 05:22:03 PM »

People usually "respect" the NH winner more than the Iowa winner (for good reason ... I feel like Iowa is usually more fractured, is a caucus and is less representative of a general election electorate than NH is).  If Kasich wins NH and multiple "conservative" alternatives remain in like Trump, Cruz, Huckabee, etc. along with Walker, I think he'll win the nomination just like McCain and Romney did in 2008 and 2012 as the "moderates" (to the base, this has come to mean agreeing with the RNC on about 90% of issues but being willing to compromise at all).
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 05:34:13 PM »

People usually "respect" the NH winner more than the Iowa winner (for good reason ... I feel like Iowa is usually more fractured, is a caucus and is less representative of a general election electorate than NH is).  If Kasich wins NH and multiple "conservative" alternatives remain in like Trump, Cruz, Huckabee, etc. along with Walker, I think he'll win the nomination just like McCain and Romney did in 2008 and 2012 as the "moderates" (to the base, this has come to mean agreeing with the RNC on about 90% of issues but being willing to compromise at all).

Very true.  Especially on the Republican side.

And, yes, if Kasich wins the NH primary, he'll be considered the frontrunner.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 05:46:39 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2015, 05:52:20 PM by Bull Moose Base »

People usually "respect" the NH winner more than the Iowa winner (for good reason ... I feel like Iowa is usually more fractured, is a caucus and is less representative of a general election electorate than NH is).  If Kasich wins NH and multiple "conservative" alternatives remain in like Trump, Cruz, Huckabee, etc. along with Walker, I think he'll win the nomination just like McCain and Romney did in 2008 and 2012 as the "moderates" (to the base, this has come to mean agreeing with the RNC on about 90% of issues but being willing to compromise at all).

Very true.  Especially on the Republican side.

And, yes, if Kasich wins the NH primary, he'll be considered the frontrunner.

No , it's not necessarily true at all. Look at 96 and 00.

EDIT: The difference in 08 and 12 is that a candidate who party leaders didn't respect won IA but that's not the same as them not respecting the IA winner.

What's happened the last 4 primaries is the establishment had a strong preference for one of the 2 winners and overpowered the one they didn't like. But Walker and Kasich are, at this point anyway, both acceptable to party leaders, and would both be able to keep raising a lot of money. But Walker wouldn't be outspent like recent IA winners, would be favored in SC, and is probably acceptable to more rank and file than Kasich. So Walker would be moderately favored to be the nominee.

Kasich's best chance is winning NH after Cruz wins IA. Cruz, like Walker, would be favored to win SC, be widely acceptable to rank and file and have money to burn. But party leaders would put up much more of a fight against Cruz than Walker. Not that they're guaranteed to win it. I'd call Kasich moderately favored to beat Cruz if they're the first 2 winners.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 06:27:20 PM »

Cruz wins SC and Paul wins NV. Support for Bush drops, splitting between Kasich and Rubio (but mostly Kasich). The rest of the primary season plays out as somewhat like a 2012 Republican Primary redux.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 07:37:15 PM »

It's certainly possible.

We all know Trump will collapse before Iowa in a Herman Cain-style way. He might stay in and get ~3-4% in Iowa and continue to do worse as primaries go on. Any way, Lindsey Graham might win South Carolina for Kasich by dropping out and endorsing him. After South Carolina, I'd predict Nevada and Colorado and Michigan for Kasich, with Florida going for Rubio as Kasich sucks up Bush's support there.

Come Super Tuesday, Huckabee, Kasich, Walker, and Rubio will still be fighting for the nomination. I'd expect Kasich to take Ohio and enough other states that he emerges the front-runner and Rubio drops out and endorses him. Huckabee and Walker would drop out eventually, with Kasich having this as his shortlist:

6. Kelly Ayotte(Bad at debating)
5. Jon Huntsman, Jr.
4. Susana Martinez
3. Lindsey Graham
2. Brian Sandoval
1. Marco Rubio
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies