La Guardia Airport to Be Rebuilt by 2021, Cuomo and Biden Say
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:53:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  La Guardia Airport to Be Rebuilt by 2021, Cuomo and Biden Say
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: La Guardia Airport to Be Rebuilt by 2021, Cuomo and Biden Say  (Read 2231 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2015, 05:14:10 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Full article.

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 05:16:12 PM »

Of course they're going to shower money on La Guardia, and leave Penn Station (which receives more travelers than all three metro airports COMBINED) and a desperately-needed new pair of tunnels under the Hudson to rot.

Thanks, Cuomo.  And as for you, Biden, I'd have expected better.  Sigh.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 06:31:46 PM »

Rebuilding La Guardia in place is a lot easier to do than renovating Penn Station or building a pair of new tunnels.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:22:51 PM »

Now can someone do that for Dulles already? Except for the Terminal Train, everything else is just...sad.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 11:05:26 PM »

Rebuilt?  Was it destroyed?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:16:39 PM »

Over the course of several decades, yes.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 06:04:14 AM »

How about connecting the airports to the subway system?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 09:17:26 AM »

Of course they're going to shower money on La Guardia, and leave Penn Station (which receives more travelers than all three metro airports COMBINED) and a desperately-needed new pair of tunnels under the Hudson to rot.

Didn't Christie scotch that deal?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »

I won't believe it until I see it.

I hate Penn and those narrow, squat platforms as much as the next guy, but what can one really do while there's an arena sitting on top of it? They were going to build a new pair of tunnels until Christie cancelled them, and there is the (greatly-downsized) Moynihan Station plan.

But $4 billion? That's two and a half times cheaper than what they're saying the Port Authority replacement will cost. The Port Authority! A bus station!

Either way, sh--ty infrastructure getting fixed is sh--ty infrastructure getting fixed. Here are some pictures:

LaGuardia Renderings
by governorandrewcuomo, on Flickr

LaGuardia Renderings

LaGuardia Renderings

LaGuardia Renderings

LaGuardia Renderings

LaGuardia Renderings
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »

There are also plans for a new $1.4 billion (lolno) terminal at Newark:

Then again I could give you lots of renders of proposals for shiny new replacements for Penn Station that aren't going to be built.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 10:44:21 AM »

Why does it cost so much money to build in NYC?  I think it's a time that we looked at our building code, environmental regulations and the cut that the mafia gets. 
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 10:44:50 AM »

This is part of the deal.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 10:58:53 AM »

Why does it cost so much money to build in NYC?  I think it's a time that we looked at our building code, environmental regulations and the cut that the mafia gets. 

We need CATEXs. Lots of CATEXs! Otherwise we get this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 12:30:24 PM »

I pretty much only fly out of Kennedy, but this is certainly a must needed upgrade.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 12:32:37 PM »

Guess Trump will be happy. Airport standards are basically to Trump what 47% was to Romney.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2015, 01:00:51 PM by traininthedistance »

This is part of the deal.

Yes, and Cuomo's proposed alignment will not only not save a lick of time compared to taking the bus, but burden an already-crowded 7 train in really perverse and ACTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE ways.  If we were extending the subway from Astoria, that would be great: but Cuomo doesn't doesn't give one flying f**k about normal subway-riding people and doesn't care to listen to anyone who knows what they're talking about.

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2015/01/21/for-laguardia-an-airtrain-that-will-save-almost-no-one-any-time/

Rebuilding La Guardia in place is a lot easier to do than renovating Penn Station or building a pair of new tunnels.

This is going to cost $4 billion.  Those other projects aren't that much more expensive, and would not only serve roughly an order of magnitude more people, but would provide proportionately more improvement.  We're talking about expanding capacity in an area where capacity is full with new tunnels... LGA might be a dump but it, y'know, does actually allow enough people to fly in and out, safely.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 12:53:31 PM »

Guess Trump will be happy. Airport standards are basically to Trump what 47% was to Romney.

What do you mean? Trump is not in charge of the airports.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 12:59:37 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2015, 01:01:47 PM by traininthedistance »

Either way, sh--ty infrastructure getting fixed is sh--ty infrastructure getting fixed. Here are some pictures:

Yes, pretty and misleading renderings make it all better.

Oh my sweet Jesus, that f**king ferry (which is, what, a mile from the terminal?  But it's okay because FERRIES.  Ferries– a few exceptions like Staten Island granted– are such useless, classist bullish*t.)  Also you will note that the plan apparently includes an increase in in parking capacity, but of course these pictures conveniently airbrush out the garages that would require.

Oh, here's a radical idea that I saw linked to recently, which ought to be on the table (apologies for the source): maybe just shut LaGuardia down and use the airspace/funds for increasing capacity and reliability in JFK/Newark instead?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 01:05:48 PM »

Thanks, Cuomo.  And as for you, Biden, I'd have expected better.  Sigh.

Didn't Christie scotch that deal?

Yes. But keep in mind that– not only back then but even today– Cuomo has been singularly uninterested in going to bat for it, getting it done, pushing Christie (who he is best buds with), etc.  There is blame on both sides of the Hudson, and we all suffer.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 05:51:16 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2015, 06:20:04 PM by Simfan34 »

Maybe just shut LaGuardia down and use the airspace/funds for increasing capacity and reliability in JFK/Newark instead?

I was going to mention this.

Also you will note that the plan apparently includes an increase in in parking capacity, but of course these pictures conveniently airbrush out the garages that would require.

Also, yes, I just noticed that! Telling. As for the 7 train extension I think this would be a far more sensible idea (if lacking in stops) but you know how far sensible ideas get in this city.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 06:12:08 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2015, 06:20:56 PM by Simfan34 »

ACTUALLY, I looked very closely at the full-sized image and found the parking, which I must say is very well-integrated with the overall design, although the report seems to think they may not have enough:

I'm still concerned as to how on earth the traffic flow will work with a layout like that.

EDIT: also these renders look like the SimCity 5 I never had
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 06:21:29 PM »

Cuomo said it would be $4 billion and five years?  Ooooooops it's gonna be more like twice that, both on cost and time.

The only surprise here is that the truth is coming out so fast.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 06:28:05 PM »

Yes, and Cuomo's proposed alignment will not only not save a lick of time compared to taking the bus, but burden an already-crowded 7 train in really perverse and ACTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE ways.  If we were extending the subway from Astoria, that would be great: but Cuomo doesn't doesn't give one flying f**k about normal subway-riding people and doesn't care to listen to anyone who knows what they're talking about.

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2015/01/21/for-laguardia-an-airtrain-that-will-save-almost-no-one-any-time/

Cuomo said it would be $4 billion and five years?  Ooooooops it's gonna be more like twice that, both on cost and time.

It really takes skills to suck as much as Cuomo.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 06:36:09 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2015, 06:57:31 PM by Simfan34 »

Cuomo said it would be $4 billion and five years?  Ooooooops it's gonna be more like twice that, both on cost and time.

Of course it is. How is anyone surprised? In fact, I think this number is still too low. When you consider the location, the fact it is being built while the airport is supposed to remain open, all the regulatory bits they'll add on, take the new PABT as a comp, and keep in mind the fact projects are never on budget, I suspect $12-15 billion is more accurate. And it will be less exciting-looking by a similar factor. I actually think the present design looks rather... jumbled.

The previous scheme being thrown around not only seemed more attractively designed and coherent in layout (they kept the US Airways terminal), they actually seemed to have a circulation plan. Why did they get rid of it, especially when they were so far along?

Also, train, do you use the same handle on Twitter?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 11:27:50 PM »

Also, train, do you use the same handle on Twitter?

Yep.  Well, my username is a little different b/c of the character limit.  I don't tweet much, mostly just use it as a news feed and occasionally retweet urbanist/anti-Cuomo stuff and the occasional Clickhole article.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies