Washington Post: Puerto Rican mass exodus might make Florida even bluer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:20:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Washington Post: Puerto Rican mass exodus might make Florida even bluer
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Washington Post: Puerto Rican mass exodus might make Florida even bluer  (Read 1492 times)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »
« edited: July 31, 2015, 10:41:20 PM by eric82oslo »

According to Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/exodus-from-puerto-rico-could-upend-florida-vote-in-2016-presidential-race/2015/07/26/d73bc724-3229-11e5-8353-1215475949f4_story.html), 48,000 Puerto Ricans emigrated from the island every single year between 2010 and 2013. This year however, due to the Greek-like debt crisis they're experiencing right now, it's believed that up to 100,000 Puerto Ricans might emigrate to the US 50 just this year alone (and perhaps even more). It has been known for years that the vast majority of Puerto Ricans decide to emigrate to Florida, and in particular to a tiny area around Orlando. On top of this, according to the newspaper, a lot of Puerto Ricans have recently moved from colder areas like New York and Chicago to Florida because of a nicer climate in which they're more used to and comfortable in. If we assume that the average exodus from Puerto Rico to the US between 2012-14 would be about 50,000 a year and for 2015 and 2016 around 100,000, and that 50% of all those decided to relocate to Florida, that means that Florida could add another 150,000 Puerto Rican voters just since the 2012 election (now obviously, not everyone of them are gonna bother to sign up as voters or turn out on election day, although 100% of them are already US citizens). Keep in mind that the actual difference in Florida in 2000 was less than 600 votes. So this exodus could potentially be a huge dealmaker come November 2016. Don't know about Republicans, but Democratic groups have already gotten really busy making sure that these new Florida residents sign up as voters.

Washington Post adds that the current mass exodus is the wildest the island has experienced for 60 years. Because of staggeringly high unemployment, crime rates on the rise and no apparent future for anyone, both rich and poor seem to have no second doubt whatsoever about moving, and moving fast.

Exodus from Puerto Rico could upend Florida vote in 2016 presidential race: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/exodus-from-puerto-rico-could-upend-florida-vote-in-2016-presidential-race/2015/07/26/d73bc724-3229-11e5-8353-1215475949f4_story.html
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »

Is that why Jeb Bush keeps saying that Puerto Rico should be a state? (besides the bankruptcy of course)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 05:40:48 PM »

Is that why Jeb Bush keeps saying that Puerto Rico should be a state? (besides the bankruptcy of course)

When did he say that? That's like more hardcore than Obama lol. Tongue If he really said that, I love him even more.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 05:43:11 PM »

When did he say that? That's like more hardcore than Obama lol. Tongue If he really said that, I love him even more.
He's been saying that in like every couple interviews haha, like this one.
Maybe he is saying this for long term?

http://postonpolitics.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/07/27/jeb-bush-on-gay-marriage-puerto-rican-statehood-immigration-donald-trump/
HillOfANight
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 06:14:55 PM »

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/625680721529716736

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 07:54:41 PM »

Statehood is, traditionally, the status Republicans have favored for Puerto Rico.  Gerald Ford advocated statehood for Puerto Rico in the waning days of 1976.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 08:49:08 PM »

Statehood is, traditionally, the status Republicans have favored for Puerto Rico.  Gerald Ford advocated statehood for Puerto Rico in the waning days of 1976.

1976 was like a decade before I was born. Not sure if that would be valid still.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 08:51:58 PM »

It's simple: The Republican candidate in 2016 has to do significantly better with Hispanics or FL (and therefore the White House) will remain Democratic. At the moment I think Bush is the only Republican who could carry it. A Kasich/Rubio ticket might as well.

Agree with all three!

I think the only 5 GOP tickets that could deliever GOP the White House in 2016 would be:

1) Jeb
2) Rubio
3) Kasich
4) Christie
5) Rand Paul

If there's a sixth then....I honestly can't think of any.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »

It's simple: The Republican candidate in 2016 has to do significantly better with Hispanics or FL (and therefore the White House) will remain Democratic. At the moment I think Bush is the only Republican who could carry it. A Kasich/Rubio ticket might as well.

Agree with all three!

I think the only 5 GOP tickets that could deliever GOP the White House in 2016 would be:

1) Jeb
2) Rubio
3) Kasich
4) Christie
5) Rand Paul

If there's a sixth then....I honestly can't think of any.

Pataki
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »

Why would they favor statehood?   Wouldn't that just give the Democrats 2 free Senators and about 5 House districts (give or take 1 or 2 to the GOP)?    Puerto Rico is very left leaning.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 05:20:46 PM »

Why would they favor statehood?   Wouldn't that just give the Democrats 2 free Senators and about 5 House districts (give or take 1 or 2 to the GOP)?    Puerto Rico is very left leaning.

As any good Republican knows, all Hispanics are natural conservatives who just don't know it yet. They will become flag-waving, constitution-quoting, GOP-voting Americans if you just pander hard enough.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies