New Left Watch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:30:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  New Left Watch (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Left Watch  (Read 1666 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: July 27, 2015, 07:59:38 PM »

Crossover post from AAD

This thread is dedicated to the absurd folly of the New Left and their modern followers. The more I think of it, I consider their influence on politics to be entirely negative or almost entirely so. The cult of sincerity, of 'THE NEED FOR PRINCIPLES', and of course the fetishization of revolution all date in their contemporary forms from the 60s and 70s (of course all these things in general have long origins in politics, perhaps dating from Romanticism which the New Left and counterculture clearly borrowed so much from, but the particular iterations you see now have roots in that period. Exhibit A: Occupy Wall Street. Exhibit B: Bernie Sanders for President! (Sanders, of course, being an ex-hippie)). This is, to my technocratic soul, a bad thing. So I've created a watch thread to ridicule it.

To start off, and going back to the 70s, here's an article on the Black Panthers: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/25/whitewashing-the-black-panthers.html. I recommend you read the whole thing, but here's just one quote and not the worst of it

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also many of those involved are now, how predictably, university professors or involved in academia in some way. A good argument for firebombing academia tbh.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »

Crossover post from AAD

As this is a bashing thread I present Tariq Ali on Greece: www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n15/tariq-ali/diary

There's a lot to say here, but the main question is one: Why does Tariq Ali still have a job as commentator? He's basically been wrong about everything and has little intellectual curiosity beyond that which confirms his own viewpoint, so why do people keep giving him a platform? It's like in journalism or punditry there is no punishment for just being wrong.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies