Paul's reelection problem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:44:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Paul's reelection problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Paul's reelection problem  (Read 844 times)
Angel of Death
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »

What is the current status of Rand Paul supposedly not being allowed to run for reelection and seek the Presidency at the same time?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »

I kind of doubt he'll make it to the filing deadline in Kentucky before dropping out. He'll be fine.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 12:22:58 PM »

I was actually just about to make a thread about this.

I think what will eventually happen is there will be a set date for the caucus of the Kentucky Senate Race. Right before that date, Paul is going to have to make a decision whether he will continue a presidential campaign and abandon the Senate, or abandoning the Presidential race to keep his Senate seat. The latter being much more likely.
Adriano Chiká
AdrianoChika
Rookie
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 12:25:54 PM »

And if Paul begin to rise in the polls? Which numbers could Paul decide to leave the Senate to continue in the race?
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 12:27:23 PM »

Whether it even is a problem depends on who wins the SOS race in KY this year. A republican SOS would presumably refuse to enforce the law, allowing Paul's name to appear twice on the GE ballot if necessary.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »

I think that congressman John Yarmuth could give him a run for his money.mHe could easily be attacked for ignoring his constituents in Kentucky for the sake of a losing bid for president.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 12:59:02 PM »

I think that congressman John Yarmuth could give him a run for his money.mHe could easily be attacked for ignoring his constituents in Kentucky for the sake of a losing bid for president.

I tend to doubt that if Rand gets out in a timely and graceful manner.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 05:52:52 PM »

The Kentucky GOP wants to ditch the primary in order to allocate delegates based on a caucus.  So the presidential primary will still take place, but Paul won't have his name on the ballot, because his name will be on the Senate primary ballot.  But it won't matter, because the presidential primary will won't decide any delegates.  In the unlikely event that Paul wins the GOP presidential nomination, then he'll have to drop his Senate candidacy in the general election.

At least, that's the plan.  But the Kentucky GOP has apparently delayed announcing its caucus plans because of cost and logistical issues.  They'll probably be able to sort it out, but it's not a sure thing.  So there's still an outside chance that Paul will have to drop either his presidential campaign or Senate campaign even in the primary stage.  IIRC, the filing deadline is in February, so he wouldn't have to make any decisions until then.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 05:55:19 PM »

Yarmuth is already running for re-election, though my guess would be he is the strongest candidate the Democrats have in the state (considering all the statewide officers are empty suits like Grimes and Conway who look good on paper but fare poorly in reality).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies