Issues to consider
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:59:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Issues to consider
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Issues to consider  (Read 648 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2015, 08:37:43 AM »

As we move forward, post-structural setup, there are some very important issues and questions we need to consider about this game:

• Firstly, are we simulating a new single sovereign State or are we simulating a supra-national entity like the EU (albeit with more powers than the EU)? It is very important to determine what powers we have, and which powers we don't have.
  • What happens to the countries of South America in our scenario? Do they become states in a federal State, member-states of a supra-national union or mere administrative entities in a unitary state? What powers do they have? How are they simulated - by the GM? Do they have fiscal autonomy?
  • What do we do about currency? I think it's obviously more realistic to begin simulating with each country having their IRL currency, like the EU pre-Euro, and then we can move forward to a single currency later on (an issue of debate perhaps)
  • What happens to the existing, and different, social programs, pensions, healthcare system, social benefits in all the countries?
  • What happens to the existing, and different, national laws on issues like abortion, marriage, contraception and so forth?
  • What happens to the existing national armed and police forces?
  • What happens with nationality laws and citizenship? This is related to the first two questions, naturally

The first two points are absolutely crucial and they need an answer. I don't think the answer matters as much as then finding a way to make the game realistic within the chosen scenario.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:40:35 AM »

These are all very good points.  Here are my opinions:

1) I think we should be simulating a single, sovereign state.
2) I think they become states in a federal state.  They should be simulated by the GM (great idea!  that way we can respond to what the local governments are doing), with fiscal autonomy to be set by the South American Parliment.
3) Having a transition sounds good.
4, 5) Again, at the beginning, they start "as is".  The Parliment can pass laws related to centralization should it so desire.
6) Armed forces seem to be something that would be clearly federal.  But police can probably start as "state".
7) No idea here.  I'm not very up to speed on citizenship laws.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 12:49:15 PM »

I have no interest whatsoever in playing a non-unitary state.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 01:47:37 PM »

1) A single entity would be fascinating to play and thus influences all of my other answers.  In my mind, I've already been looking at the country as a single state.
2) I would certainly lean towards the later (administrative districts in a unitary state).  Let's make this as different from our previous experiences as possible.
3) I absolutely agree.  Addressing the establishment of a single currency would be top of the agenda for the first government.
4 & 5) None of the current problems in South America should be wiped clean.  The role of the GM is crucial here.  The incoming government will have to work to standardize services in all of the areas while be able to deal with the myriad of diverse issues throughout the continent.
6) For the armed forces, a total integration into a single force.  Building a new foreign and defense policy will be top of the agenda for the foreign/defense minister. If we go with a unitary state the police force would be addressed in much the same way.
7) A citizenship law should be introduced ASAP to establish a single nationality throughout the continent. As for specifics, I would have to do a little more research.

By going down the full sovereign state route with a unitary system, we will give ourselves a mountain of work that needs to be done immediately - exactly what we've all be waiting for! Grin
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 04:22:53 PM »

1. I prefer simulating a state to a supranational organization, but considering that our "state" only has two laws on the books, it's not exactly practical to immediately become a unitary state. Current South American laws at the start of the simulation should be considered the status quo until parliament acts otherwise. Relevant.

2. South American countries should be states within a federal state (at least for the time being) treated to similarly to levels of government below regional: it exists, but isn't a direct part of the simulation. Perhaps the GM can occasionally involve local government events (e.g. "Uruguay bans abortion") in the hope that parliament will take action in response.

3. Agree on currency; start out with the status quo, and a common currency can become a topic of debate. Extending the EU comparison, we'll probably need to address freedom of movement between states as well.

4. Status quo until parliament determines otherwise.

5. Same as 4, and perhaps the simulation can start from the mid-2000s as Foucaulf suggested in order to deal with evolving social liberalism, but I'd prefer to start with 2015 legislation.

6. Probably one of the first issues we'll have to address. I'm of the opinion that we should integrate the military to a federal level and establish a federal police force.

7. We absolutely need to standardize citizenship federally.
Foucaulf
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 04:50:47 PM »

The meta-question is whether parliament has given me the authority to declare all my answers to these questions as canon. Anyway:

- For all intents and purposes, people can play as if South America is a unitary state. I promise I won't ever roleplay as some NPC who opposes the law Parliament passed.
- In the backstory, the constituent nations still have autonomy as their administrative powers are centralized into one continental government. In practice I would talk about the nations' policies as flavour text in a policy briefing.
- There is no united currency, and should parliament encourage this it would be hard.
- Assume you have a mandate to centralize social policy and welfare schemes, but nothing has been established yet. This is a roleplay opportunity.
- Parliament could have the mandate to unite national armed forces in times of war, but probably not outside of it.
- The last question ties into the bigger problem of mobility. Are the MPs afraid of poorer Bolivian farmers rushing into the streets of Santiago? That's up to you.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies