Why are the Kochs backing Walker?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:26:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why are the Kochs backing Walker?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why are the Kochs backing Walker?  (Read 6019 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2015, 02:04:36 PM »

Seriously, why? The Kochs are libertarians who would line up with the Pauls best. If they actually used their money in a useful way, they could really bring libertarianism into the mainstream. Do they think that Paul has no chance of winning, therefore they put their money behind the candidate that is the most conservative and has a chance of winning? Otherwise I don't understand their thinking.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »

He's brazen about screwing over workers in favor of the bottom line in profits and low taxes.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »

Randy is hopeless. Why would you invest in a candidate without a chance?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 04:57:39 PM »

He's brazen about screwing over workers in favor of the bottom line in profits and low taxes.

I've seen a case where this is absolutely true right here in Tulsa.  Anybody who the Koch family supports I will not support.  They are a cancer within the Republican Party in much the same way as George Soros is a cancer within the Democratic Party.  Big money crooks who care more about big money than little workers.  The Kochs are a big reason I haven't fully switched to the Republican Party.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 05:11:51 PM »

I've seen a case where this is absolutely true right here in Tulsa.  Anybody who the Koch family supports I will not support.  They are a cancer within the Republican Party in much the same way as George Soros is a cancer within the Democratic Party.  Big money crooks who care more about big money than little workers.  The Kochs are a big reason I haven't fully switched to the Republican Party.

Soros doesn't given nearly as much as the Kochs do to promote they're political views. Republicans really need to stop comparing the two.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 05:29:36 PM »

Soros doesn't given nearly as much as the Kochs do to promote they're political views. Republicans really need to stop comparing the two.

Yeah, tell me when was the last time that Democratic presidential candidates went groveling to Soros like the Republicans do this year with the Kochs and Sheldon Adelson.
Hydera

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 05:52:10 PM »

Rand's campaign is starting to become a trainwreck. And Jeb has this establishment reputation and the public doesn't want to be reminded of another bush.

Obviously their going to throw money at the winning candidate no matter who it is.

But Scott Walker looks more competent than either of them so their throwing money at him. Plus the Kochs have liked walker since 2010 when he ran for governor.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »

You're angry at the Kochs for going after unions so you support… Rand Paul?

Have the Koch Brothers donated within the primary? How would we know if they had?

If so, they're realistic enough to know Paul was never going to be the nominee. As for Walker, his Bucks Arena move alienated the Kochs but they still probably favor him over Jeb.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 07:45:50 PM »

Seriously, why? The Kochs are libertarians who would line up with the Pauls best. If they actually used their money in a useful way, they could really bring libertarianism into the mainstream. Do they think that Paul has no chance of winning, therefore they put their money behind the candidate that is the most conservative and has a chance of winning? Otherwise I don't understand their thinking.

They like eager way he obediently grovels?
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 08:08:03 PM »

They like eager way he obediently grovels?

BINGO!

Scott Walker is a pathetic toady to folks like the Koch Brothers.  That's why they love him; he's a guy who needed to sell out, and he's done so.  Donald Trump can't be bought.  The Bushes buy other people.  Walker is a guy who needs others to invest in him, so he went on Shark Tank and the Koch Brothers offered him a deal.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 08:54:54 PM »

Are the Koch brothers backing Walker? It seems to me that this association between the two was caused by that fake phone call but actually, that fake phone call proves he isn't in their pocket. If he was really their bitch, he would have been able to recognize it wasn't their voice.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 12:36:07 AM »

Are the Koch brothers backing Walker? It seems to me that this association between the two was caused by that fake phone call but actually, that fake phone call proves he isn't in their pocket. If he was really their bitch, he would have been able to recognize it wasn't their voice.

Obviously you are overestimating Walker's mental capabilities.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 02:29:01 AM »

He's easily manipulated
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 03:42:35 AM »

I mean, obviously Walker agrees with them on most issues but so do all of the other Republican candidates. It's because they're Republicans, not because each of them was paid by the Koch brothers in particular.
Publius
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 06:29:39 AM »

They picked the guy most likely to be the anti-Jeb candidate and want to get him competitive sooner rather than later.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2015, 07:23:52 AM by Mechaman »

Note: You are talking about a guy who a) won three elections (one of them a recall) in a row, and b) has come out a winner in a merciless war against Wisconsin unions.

Say what you want about Scott Walker, but the evidence so far does not suggest he is some dumbass yokel who doesn't know his politics.  He does, and that's what makes him extremely dangerous.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 07:14:53 AM »

Note: You are talking about a guy who a) won three elections (one of them a recall) in a row, and b) has come out a winner in a merciless war against Wisconsin unions.

Say what you want about Scott Walker, but the evidence so far does not suggest he is some dumbass yokel who doesn't know his politics.  He does, and that what makes him extremely dangerous.

W. had also a pretty impressive electoral and agenda-setting record but I doubt that anyone here considers him a worthy candidate for MENSA membership.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 07:33:14 AM »

They picked the guy most likely to be the anti-Jeb candidate and want to get him competitive sooner rather than later.

The Kochs are in favor of immigration. Why would they be against Jeb?
Publius
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 07:56:58 AM »

It's a good question. I'm working off this thread's assumption that they're not yet supporting Jeb, and therefore I'm looking for a reason why. Perhaps Jeb gets so much financial help from other sources that they feel their money won't carry as much influence with him as it would a less funded candidate? In the end, though, I'm sure they'll support him by the time he's nominated.
oeoyeleye
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 08:07:02 AM »

I think we're vastly overestimating how much the Kochs are aligned to actual beliefs
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »

Easy. He's the most credible person who is the most virulently anti-union, anti-public sector, anti workers having a right to bargain, and so on, and completely invested in the wellbeing of the elite as well as general corporate interests at the expense of everything else. That stuff would seem to be priority 1 for both parties.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 10:22:01 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2015, 01:08:09 PM by Bull Moose Base »

They're actually holding private president auditions in the coming days. Walker, Rubio, Bush and Cruz are all going. Fiorina too.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 11:44:22 AM »

What is the evidence for active support?  The only thing I've seen is a statement from one of them expecting Walker to be the nominee.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »

Scott Walker promises to cut taxes for the rich, sell off the public sector, eviscerate unions, promote monopoly, and wreck the environment as the Koch brothers want. 
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 01:57:32 PM »

Say what you want about Scott Walker, but the evidence so far does not suggest he is some dumbass yokel who doesn't know his politics.  He does, and that's what makes him extremely dangerous.

I see "won three elections" regularly brought up on Walker's political resume again and again. But no one ever points out the context of his victories. I'm sure that if the Democratic nominee for President is Tom Barrett, or the executive of a family corporation whose previous election experience was winning a seat on the school board, Walker would stand a good chance of winning. But that is not the race he's running in.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies