Fox removes 1% polling requirement for "kiddie table" debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:29:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Fox removes 1% polling requirement for "kiddie table" debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fox removes 1% polling requirement for "kiddie table" debate  (Read 3623 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2015, 05:48:51 PM »

Pataki, Graham, and (if he runs) Gilmore are safe:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/fox-republican-debate-lowers-threshold-120748.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 05:50:57 PM »

What about Mark Everson?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:01:09 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 06:12:16 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2015, 06:13:55 PM by Likely Voter »

Not surprised they are doing this. If they had been strict about the 1% thing then the Forum would likely only have 3 of the 6 who dont make the top 10. In my tracking thread I had been assuming they would at least round up to 1% but even with that Graham and Pataki have struggled to keep it above 0.5.

Still not sure Gilmore is going to make the cut, currently only 2 polls are including him so that doesn't exactly count as "consistently being offered" and of course he hasnt declared or filed paperwork yet.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 06:34:53 PM »

I'm glad they decided to do this.  All of the candidates deserve the chance to get their message out.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 07:55:54 PM »

It's going to be hilarious if someone at this debate goes on to win the nomination.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »

So they don't care who voters want, just who the pollsters want.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2015, 11:50:12 AM by LibertarianRepublican »

First I thought the "kiddie table" debate was just a forum for those who didn't get the top ten, then it's a debate where those who had 1%+ but didn't make the top 10, now anyone can be in it? Unless you're Mark Everson of course.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 04:57:07 PM »

First I thought the "kiddie table" debate was just a forum for those who didn't get the top ten, then it's a debate where those who had 1%+ but didn't make the top 10, now anyone can be in it? Unless you're Mark Everson of course.

I call it the kiddie table debate, but I don't know that it's actually going to be a "debate".  I'm unclear on what the format is.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 04:57:53 PM »

Is it fair to say corporate media has taken over our political system?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 05:17:01 PM »

And do the voters want Mark Everson?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 06:47:55 PM »

Actually, I think it might be better to be sitting at the head of the kiddie table than the foot of the big boys. Whoever the last person is who squeaks into the main debate will hardly get to talk, and Trump may very well derail the entire thing. Whoever is sitting at the head of the kiddie table has the unique opportunity to give a platform free from distractions. Perhaps people may start to wonder just why which table is which.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 10:49:22 AM »

And do the voters want Mark Everson?

No less than they want George Pataki.
yankeesfan
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 11:11:16 AM »

Actually, I think it might be better to be sitting at the head of the kiddie table than the foot of the big boys. Whoever the last person is who squeaks into the main debate will hardly get to talk, and Trump may very well derail the entire thing. Whoever is sitting at the head of the kiddie table has the unique opportunity to give a platform free from distractions. Perhaps people may start to wonder just why which table is which.

Good observation.  That may very well be the case.  However, that assumes that people will watch the kiddie table debate.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 04:52:33 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2015, 04:57:08 PM by Likely Voter »

Obviously the goal of everyone at the kiddie table will be to break into the main CNN debate in September, however doing a little better in the polls after the Fox Forum wont be enough. Unlike FOX (which uses last 5 polls), CNN will average polls between mid July and early September. So around 1/3 of the polls used will be before the Forum.

So let's say someone like Fiorina does well in the Forum but someone like Carson does really crappy in the Fox debate. Let's say Fiorina polls 3-4% in all the post Forum polls and Carson polls 1-2%.  It could be that Carson still gets into the CNN debate and Fiorina doesn't because of being weighed down by the pre-Forum polls.

After the Fox debate I will start a thread tracking the CNN debate rankings average. Right now it is essentially the same as the Fox average

Some candidates will have performed well enough in the pre-Fox debate polls that they are essentially guaranteed a spot at the prime-time CNN debate. Trump, Bush and Walker could literally walk out on the Fox debate stage waving an ISIS flag, take a dump on the floor, light their podium on fire, endorse Hillary and walk off the stage and get 0% in every post debate poll, but they would still likely get into the CNN debate because of how well they did in the polls between mid July and the Fox debate.  
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 10:34:42 PM »

Some candidates will have performed well enough in the pre-Fox debate polls that they are essentially guaranteed a spot at the prime-time CNN debate. Trump, Bush and Walker could literally walk out on the Fox debate stage waving an ISIS flag, take a dump on the floor, light their podium on fire, endorse Hillary and walk off the stage and get 0% in every post debate poll, but they would still likely get into the CNN debate because of how well they did in the polls between mid July and the Fox debate.  

Best thing I have ever read.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies