Senate to vote on defunding Planned Parenthood
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:26:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate to vote on defunding Planned Parenthood
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Should we defund Planned Parenthood
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Senate to vote on defunding Planned Parenthood  (Read 13463 times)
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/senate-gop-fast-tracks-bill-to-defund-planned-parenthood_55b8274ae4b0074ba5a6bc43

Hope they fail. I don't want millions of women to lose healthcare services (normal).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:26:28 PM »

ACORN was thrown under the bus by spineless "Democrats" for nothing when the Democrats had large majorities in 2009,, so I'm pretty worried the Democrats will show their usual incompetence here.

Oh yeah, and before anyone tries to claim otherwise, no federal money goes to the 3% of Planned Parenthood's operations that are relation to abortion. It goes to things like cancer screening.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 02:11:49 AM »

Obama will veto this, right?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:44:56 AM »

He was against it 4 years ago, and he's not a Republican, so yes, thankfully.

As far as the question, no. Planned Parenthood should be expanded to make birth control and maternal healthcare easily accessible and completely free of charge, and the program should include abortion.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 07:36:07 AM »

What a ridiculous witch hunt. #‎StandWithPP‬
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 08:34:27 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2015, 10:46:01 AM by Torie »

Maybe. I would like to know the facts more thoroughly first. There are so many charges, and denials, that it is hard to wade through it all.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 09:05:34 AM »

Why are we funding them in the first place? Yes, I know that most of their activities are supposedly not abortions-- but believe they fund or provide most of the abortions in the country.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »

I don't understand why they need funds from the government. Why can't they just be a private non-profit? I hope they try to defund it, even though Obama will veto it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 02:08:07 PM »

I don't understand why they need funds from the government. Why can't they just be a private non-profit? I hope they try to defund it, even though Obama will veto it.

Because the government has a legitimate interest in promoting women's health and reproductive freedom.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »

Obviously yes.

Because the government has a legitimate interest in promoting women's health and reproductive freedom.
Women's health=selling aborted fetuses?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »

Because these sort of programs pay for themselves. Less burden on government services and all.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »

As I am not a misogynist creep I am opposed to this.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 02:40:13 PM »

Because these sort of programs pay for themselves. Less burden on government services and all.

Universal euthanasia at 80 would also reduce the burden on government services, you know. I'm not convinced this is the best line of reasoning to justify this.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »

Absolutely not. As our healthcare system is obscenely antiquated and belonging in a prior era, and because reproductive issues are crucial to women's healthcare, I oppose defunding it.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »

Universal euthanasia at 80 would also reduce the burden on government services, you know. I'm not convinced this is the best line of reasoning to justify this.

You got me - although I should add that I don't consider embryos persons, while I do consider granny a person and would thus object to euthanising her.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »

The money is being given to other organizations instead under the provisions of this bill, so I see no problem with it. Planned Parenthood provides some perfectly ethical services, but they are in love with abortion, and they sell parts of aborted fetuses. I see little reason they need or deserve to exist. If they want to see people get abortions so much, they can pay for their organization themselves.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 04:01:20 PM »

If it isn't defunded, Congress should at least prohibit them from donating to political campaigns while receiving federal funds. I mean, Planned Parenthood is a corporation, and they engage in a lot of corporate money speech, which the left usually says is bad. It just seems weird that the feds give money to a non-profit which has lots of profits, enabling it to divert those profits into attack ads against Republicans.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 04:11:52 PM »

If it isn't defunded, Congress should at least prohibit them from donating to political campaigns while receiving federal funds. I mean, Planned Parenthood is a corporation, and they engage in a lot of corporate money speech, which the left usually says is bad. It just seems weird that the feds give money to a non-profit which has lots of profits, enabling it to divert those profits into attack ads against Republicans.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 04:49:26 PM »

I would agree with that but I like how Wulfric thinks one of the country's largest healthcare providers funds can be replaced without at least a shaky transition.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 04:50:42 PM »

You got me - although I should add that I don't consider embryos persons, while I do consider granny a person and would thus object to euthanising her.

And that is where we differ. Smiley
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 05:33:34 PM »

I would agree with that but I like how Wulfric thinks one of the country's largest healthcare providers funds can be replaced without at least a shaky transition.

If a shaky transition is needed to show more respect to human life, it's something that we as a country should be willing to endure.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 05:38:32 PM »

Fetuses aren't human though.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »

If they aren't human, then what are they? They're clearly more than a random bunch of cells bonded together. 'Fetus' is not a species, it's a stage of life.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »

The outrage over Planned Parenthood is such a crock. My girlfriend and I donated some money to them in order to fight back against this faux scandal.

This times a thousand!
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 05:43:45 PM »

If they aren't human, then what are they? They're clearly more than a random bunch of cells bonded together. 'Fetus' is not a species, it's a stage of life.

What's the argument for a fetus being a human being other than the fact that, after birth, it becomes a human being?

Hint: There isn't one, and it's not a human while it's a fetus.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies