Senate to vote on defunding Planned Parenthood
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:58:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate to vote on defunding Planned Parenthood
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Should we defund Planned Parenthood
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Senate to vote on defunding Planned Parenthood  (Read 13461 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2015, 02:04:10 PM »

I find it very concerning that the United States Senate is taking votes based on edited videos from right-wing blogs. Is it really a good idea to let Breitbart type sites have such in influence on elected officials?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »

No, and we'll have the second government shutdown in as many years over this. The Ted Cruz/Steve Stockman wing of the Republican Party has drawn a line in the sand, saying they'll shut the government down again if Planned Parenthood isn't defunded.

As for the abortion debate, the only problem with abortion is the fact that not enough unfit mothers are having abortions.

What is an "unfit mother", pray tell?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »

I find it very concerning that the United States Senate is taking votes based on edited videos from right-wing blogs. Is it really a good idea to let Breitbart type sites have such in influence on elected officials?
Is it really good that Mother Jones type websites also have an influence on elected offical and the Democratic Party.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2015, 05:53:38 PM »

Is it really good that Mother Jones type websites also have an influence on elected offical and the Democratic Party.
What? A much smaller proportion of Democratic voters (and even less in politicians) care about sites like that...
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2015, 05:59:42 PM »

I don't recall the Democratic leadership scheduling votes based on sketchy, edited videos. If there was actually a comparison, you might have a point.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »

Susan Collins and Bob Casey take massive dump on the idea of defunding Planned Parenthood.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2015, 06:48:15 PM »

Using these videos as a springboard for a knee-jerk vote on Planned Parenthood funding is especially disingenuous when it's coming from the very same senators who keep telling us that we're not even allowed to talk about looking at gun control after a mass shooting because that would be "politicizing" a recent tragedy. 
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2015, 07:12:42 PM »

Kirk is going to vote against it and Murkowski may do so as well. No idea how Capito would vote as she's had a mixed record on abortion in the past. Only Donnelly and Manchin are currently question marks for the Democrats. No way this is getting 60 votes.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2015, 07:30:15 PM »

Kirk is going to vote against it and Murkowski may do so as well. No idea how Capito would vote as she's had a mixed record on abortion in the past. Only Donnelly and Manchin are currently question marks for the Democrats. No way this is getting 60 votes.

What about Heitkamp, Tester, and McCaskill? I know they're pro-choice, but they could easily pull a "I'm representing my state here!" excuse and get some help for their future reelection bids.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2015, 08:25:41 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2015, 08:44:35 PM by Gass3268 »

What about Heitkamp, Tester, and McCaskill? I know they're pro-choice, but they could easily pull a "I'm representing my state here!" excuse and get some help for their future reelection bids.

No word on Tester and McCaskill, but I imagine they won't considering they are Pro-Choice. I would not be shocked if the entire Democratic caucus votes against defunding. Sounds like Collins compromise idea of investigation might have some support.

Also:
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »

Don't be worried, the Republican establishment has no plans of doing anything to even slightly decrease funding to Planned Parenthood.  In reality, both parties have no issue with abortion.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »

Yes, it should be defunded (Cares about human life; sane)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »

They already voted 85-11 to bar funding to ACORN based upon some edited video from a right-wing blog.  So it isn't like this is anything new.  The Senate really is a horrible body.  And that was when there were 59 Senators, counting Sanders. Of course Sanders was one of the 11.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »

No, and we'll have the second government shutdown in as many years over this. The Ted Cruz/Steve Stockman wing of the Republican Party has drawn a line in the sand, saying they'll shut the government down again if Planned Parenthood isn't defunded.

As for the abortion debate, the only problem with abortion is the fact that not enough unfit mothers are having abortions.

Stockman is not in congress anymore.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2015, 06:08:57 PM »

I'm glad this bill failed. We Democrats have once again stood up to the Republicans' War on Women, and we must continue the fight to protect women's reproductive rights.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2015, 09:53:55 PM »

I'm glad this bill failed. We Democrats have once again stood up to the Republicans' War on Women, and we must continue the fight to protect women's reproductive rights.

The Republicans are on your side.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2015, 09:55:19 PM »

Since when has legalizing abortion been in the beliefs of most republicans?
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2015, 10:01:29 PM »

Not most registered Republicans, but most GOP politicians.  Republican-appointed justices handed us Roe v. Wade, and the current SCOTUS, though it is mostly Republican appointees, won't overturn it.  The GOP controlled all branches of government a decade ago and did nothing then too.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2015, 11:37:11 PM »

Anyway, the bill failed 53-46. Joe Donnelly and Joe Manchin were the only Democrats who supported the Republican defunding push. Mark Kirk voted against it, so did the Democratic anti-abortion Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Bob Casey Jr.  

My Senators did the righteous vote (sane pro-life conservatarian)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2015, 01:21:39 AM »

Not most registered Republicans, but most GOP politicians.  Republican-appointed justices handed us Roe v. Wade, and the current SCOTUS, though it is mostly Republican appointees, won't overturn it.  The GOP controlled all branches of government a decade ago and did nothing then too.

Roe is probably gone if the GOP wins the presidency in 2016. I don't see how Ginsburg makes it through 2020, and you can probably get past the Senate with a Huntsman-type - clearly pro-life, but otherwise quite moderate.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2015, 01:52:20 AM »

I don't think the SC would ever overturn it. They know the cost to republicans ability to win elections the decision would cause.

Roe is probably gone if the GOP wins the presidency in 2016. I don't see how Ginsburg makes it through 2020, and you can probably get past the Senate with a Huntsman-type - clearly pro-life, but otherwise quite moderate.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2015, 02:25:37 AM »

While a Republican replacement for one of the progressive justices would be enough to get SCOTUS to agree to some additional restrictions on abortion and replace Casey with a new standard, I think they'll need to replace two of them to be able to outright overturn Roe.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2015, 08:02:02 AM »

Roe and the three trimester concept is gone now. It's been replaced by Sandra Day O'Connor's undue burden on the mother standard. Which leaves open the issue as to what constitutes an "undue burden." There is no need to overturn anything per se, as opposed to just interpret those two words, which could open the door to allowing more restrictions on late term abortions.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2015, 08:30:56 AM »

Another reason that voting Democrat in 2016 is vital. A stronger Republican majority in the Senate and a Republican President would be disastrous.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »

Anyway, the bill failed 53-46. Joe Donnelly and Joe Manchin were the only Democrats who supported the Republican defunding push. Mark Kirk voted against it, so did the Democratic anti-abortion Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Bob Casey Jr.  

My Senators did the righteous vote (sane pro-life conservatarian)

Any pro-life politician who voted against the measure should be ashamed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies