Senate to vote on defunding Planned Parenthood (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:40:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate to vote on defunding Planned Parenthood (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should we defund Planned Parenthood
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Senate to vote on defunding Planned Parenthood  (Read 13602 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 29, 2015, 07:36:07 AM »

What a ridiculous witch hunt. #‎StandWithPP‬
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »

The outrage over Planned Parenthood is such a crock. My girlfriend and I donated some money to them in order to fight back against this faux scandal.

This times a thousand!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 02:13:12 PM »

You don't think it's not even a little disingenuous to suggest that getting a STD test and getting an abortion are comparable activities?

Nope, both are legal women's health activities.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »

You don't think it's not even a little disingenuous to suggest that getting a STD test and getting an abortion are comparable activities?

Nope, both are legal women's health activities.

So are taking vitamins or an eye examination.

Yup
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 04:11:18 PM »

The anti-choicers sure love to strawman in abortion threads:

We are not talking about aborting the day before birth, we are talking about a time where the fetus is not viable (i.e. it cannot survive outside the womb even with technological and medical assistance) and has not reached the threshold of fetal thought.

Nor are "baby parts" being sold on the black market. Fetal tissue samples that otherwise would've been discarded can be used to advance medical knowledge and save lives.

Exactly, Planned Parenthood is not selling fetal tissue, they are donating it to research centers. What they are doing its 100% legal under the National Institutes of Health Revitalization Act, which allowed research on human fetal tissue regardless of whether the tissue came from a voluntary abortion. A bill that even Mitch McConnell voted for.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 04:16:23 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2015, 04:18:38 PM by Gass3268 »

We are not talking about aborting the day before birth, we are talking about a time where the fetus is not viable (i.e. it cannot survive outside the womb even with technological and medical assistance) and has not reached the threshold of fetal thought.

Nor are "baby parts" being sold on the black market. Fetal tissue samples that otherwise would've been discarded can be used to advance medical knowledge and save lives.

Being pro-choice means one supports all abortion, typically up to and including partial birth abortions, with no restriction at any point during the pregancy.

Being Pro-Life essentially means Pro-Birth and nothing more. As Sister Joan Chittister, O.S.B. said:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 04:22:45 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2015, 04:26:59 PM by Gass3268 »

If viability is how you determine the beginning of life, then advances in medical technology mean life begins earlier?

I'm not understanding your logic here. Up to 35% of babies born at 23 weeks survived in studies from 2003 and 2005. I don't understand the relationship between human knowledge, ability, and technology and the right to life.

That is essentially your claim, is it not? Viability conveys the right to life?

Baby parts are being sold under the guise of "reimbursement." This is undeniable. Saying the profits are in pursuit of "life saving medical research" is a way to justify the selling, not to deny its occurence.

Let us be clear, no fetal tissue (remember this is a fetus we are talking about, not an actual baby) is being sold, just the costs for processing and storing the tissue are being reimbursed, which is legal under Federal Law. Also the woman who had the fetal tissue extracted has to consent to it being used for research.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 04:29:30 PM »

What you need to know about how fetal tissue is used for research
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »

Indiana clears Planned Parenthood of wrongdoing after videos
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 07:12:42 PM »

Kirk is going to vote against it and Murkowski may do so as well. No idea how Capito would vote as she's had a mixed record on abortion in the past. Only Donnelly and Manchin are currently question marks for the Democrats. No way this is getting 60 votes.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 08:25:41 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2015, 08:44:35 PM by Gass3268 »

Kirk is going to vote against it and Murkowski may do so as well. No idea how Capito would vote as she's had a mixed record on abortion in the past. Only Donnelly and Manchin are currently question marks for the Democrats. No way this is getting 60 votes.

What about Heitkamp, Tester, and McCaskill? I know they're pro-choice, but they could easily pull a "I'm representing my state here!" excuse and get some help for their future reelection bids.

No word on Tester and McCaskill, but I imagine they won't considering they are Pro-Choice. I would not be shocked if the entire Democratic caucus votes against defunding. Sounds like Collins compromise idea of investigation might have some support.

Also:
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies