MW: Confirmation of Maxwell for Senator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:01:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MW: Confirmation of Maxwell for Senator
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MW: Confirmation of Maxwell for Senator  (Read 495 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:12:55 AM »

Our new constitution states the following about Senate appointments:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

With the appointment of Maxwell, the assembly must now vote on his candidacy. Let's get this done quickly.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:17:17 AM »

Welcome,

I am the new Midwest Senator now, cool. I will continue the work I've sought out to do as an Independent, and that is putting an graceful end to a game that is flailing and dying publicly. Hopefully my fellow Senators succumb to public pressure over the harsh reality we face.
Ladies and Gents,

I am running for Senate as a member of A New Start. I will run on a platform of abolishing Atlasia, and anything else is just delaying the inevitable. I will be a reliable vote on any thing resembling that, and a reliable vote against anything else.

If you ask me a question, I will give you an unsatisfactory answer. So I guess you can ask.

We're trying to reform the game. If people don't want to play this game anymore, they can deregister.
I would like to avoid any attempts to reform this game backfire because of "trolls", "abolitionnists", or whatever.

There is an another political game on this forum for whose who don't want to play Atlasia anymore.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 10:20:13 AM »

I urge my friends to not confirm Maxwell, Personally I like Maxwell, but in Atlasia he recently announced his candidacy for Senate if Blair was elected he's also A New Starter which want to kill Atlasia and he wrote this.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=216099.0
Maxwell isn't going to help Atlasia but he's going to kill it.
I urge a no vote.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »

I urge my friends to not confirm Maxwell, Personally I like Maxwell, but in Atlasia he recently announced his candidacy for Senate if Blair was elected he's also A New Starter which want to kill Atlasia and he wrote this.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=216099.0
Maxwell isn't going to help Atlasia but he's going to kill it.
I urge a no vote.

I concur.  I like Maxwell and appreciate his encouragement for my MW Rep campaign, but I think these changes are too radical.  I strongly support a 'NO' vote on this.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 11:03:57 AM »

I'm a fan of the idea of abolishing the game as we know it, though I will support a new game in its place. I recognize the idea that people like elections games, and I have had moments where I really enjoyed working within the game. But truthfully, there are two options - this game completely dies anyway with the same characters talking in a vacuum, or the game is replaced with something new that entices new people and interesting scenarios. I'm in favor of the later.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 01:00:44 PM »

I'm a fan of the idea of abolishing the game as we know it, though I will support a new game in its place. I recognize the idea that people like elections games, and I have had moments where I really enjoyed working within the game. But truthfully, there are two options - this game completely dies anyway with the same characters talking in a vacuum, or the game is replaced with something new that entices new people and interesting scenarios. I'm in favor of the later.

I could support abolishing the game if it means we get a new game. However I would like that some basic details for the new game and a plan be in place for this new game before moving forward in ending Atlasia. Is this something you could support?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 03:58:18 PM »

I could support abolishing the game if it means we get a new game. However I would like that some basic details for the new game and a plan be in place for this new game before moving forward in ending Atlasia. Is this something you could support?

Absolutely I would support that.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 06:32:34 PM »

Since you will be voting on bills that affect my Atlasian life. What is your plan that you support would happens in it, what's the structure what is the constitution going to be like or are we just going to leave it. Beacuse Maxwell the general consensus in Atlasia is we want radical change but not a restart. Event most Midwesterns want change not a restart.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 10:30:44 PM »

Hmm, I am hesitant about giving my support to killing the game without having put the time and effort in to know what exactly is going to take its place. Personally I support the Constitutional Convention method of reforming.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 10:32:57 PM »

Because it's pretty important to get a person in the senate, I'll be starting this vote tomorrow afternoon. Let's try to finish the debate before then.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 10:57:28 PM »

The problem with firm declaratory statements is that reality inevitably forces you to compromise. When Xahar was elected, he too probably would have said "Well, consolidation will never come before the Senate" because it was at like 35% at that time. Well it did and it failed the first time through, because he was adhering to a pledge of inactivity.

If a good solid reform package comes before the Senate and it is not dissolution, such a pledge of voting against everything that is not dissolution, no longer furthers the goal of reforming the game, it actively hinders it. Its kind of like a no tax pledge, then you go to war or face bankruptcy as a country you are forced to compromise or hinder the very fiscal responsibility you are trying to force with said pledge.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »

Personally I've always worked very well with Maxwell; in both the IDS and here he's always been someone I could turn to for activity and new ideas. I missed his conversion to the "let's just trash everything and hope something good happens" camp, but I wouldn't have suggested his appointment if I'd known about it.

As the person who put his name forward, I feel like it would be best for me to abstain unless my vote is needed to break a tie.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 02:31:29 PM »

I'm withdrawing my name from consideration.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies