2018: Does Hatch Stick Around?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:29:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018: Does Hatch Stick Around?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: 2018: Does Hatch Stick Around?  (Read 1842 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2015, 02:39:28 AM »

He said he's retiring, but this early, that means nothing. Coats, Mikulski, and Reid were initially all running, so this could easily change.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 02:47:32 AM »

Mikulski and Coats never actually said they were running, people just assumed that since they weren't dropping hints about retirement in the months before announcing it.

Anyways, of course he will. The guy will be 84 on election day. Simply too old to run.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 02:52:07 AM »

Mikulski and Coats never actually said they were running, people just assumed that since they weren't dropping hints about retirement in the months before announcing it.

Anyways, of course he will. The guy will be 84 on election day. Simply too old to run.

Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:38:20 AM »

You got to post an unflattering picture of Thurmond as well if you're going to do it for the others lol.

Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 04:49:16 AM »

You got to post an unflattering picture of Thurmond as well if you're going to do it for the others lol.

I didn't want to startle myself with pictures of an aged meatloaf every time I checked this topic.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 10:51:39 AM »

"What do you call a Senator who’s served in office for 18 years? You call him home." - Orrin Hatch, 1976

Power is intoxicating, especially when it is guaranteed for as long as you want in a safe state like Utah
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 12:36:35 PM »

Even for a politician, Orrin Hatch is a deceptive old windbag. He'll probably run.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 01:05:29 PM »

I'm pretty sure the Utah GOP wants to open the seat up to fresh blood, and that obviously isn't Hatch.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 01:46:29 PM »

Every time Hatch promises to retire, he breaks that promise. And he's apparently fundraising a lot for a guy who promise to retire in 2018. On the other hand, the younger Utah GOP pols are getting really frustrated that he's sticking around, and Jason Chaffetz in particular is angling himself as Hatch's successor. So I think he'll run, but lose to Chaffetz or someone else.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »

What about Huntsman?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 02:50:22 PM »

I could have sworn Mikulski said she was running before she announced she wasn't.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 02:54:07 PM »

Every time Hatch promises to retire, he breaks that promise. And he's apparently fundraising a lot for a guy who promise to retire in 2018. On the other hand, the younger Utah GOP pols are getting really frustrated that he's sticking around, and Jason Chaffetz in particular is angling himself as Hatch's successor. So I think he'll run, but lose to Chaffetz or someone else.

At some point movement conservatives have got to realize Chaffetz is selling them a bill of goods. Chaffetz TP'd Chris Cannon just to become a part of the GOP leadership/establishment wing, despite exclaiming "libertarianish" leanings. Like Hatch, Chaffetz is a snake.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 02:56:30 PM »

I swear there needs to be an age limit on how long elected officials can stay in office.   The country would be so much better off without senile old people like Hatch and John Conyers running the place.

Chuck Grassley and Patrick Leahy should go too.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 10:18:12 PM »

I swear there needs to be an age limit on how long elected officials can stay in office.   The country would be so much better off without senile old people like Hatch and John Conyers running the place.

Chuck Grassley and Patrick Leahy should go too.

Things worked a lot more "smoothly" in congress when experienced olds ran the show and the young'uns fell in line. See: modern history.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 11:07:46 PM »

He's also a possibility (and he knows it, which is probably the reason he's buddying up to Mike Lee). Huntsman has some disadvantages though, in terms of being considered a Jack Mormon (i.e., not very faithful, treats the faith more like culture than religion, etc), and being critical of conservative ideology in many cases. On the other hand, he's a former governor and still quite popular among some Utahns. I'm not sure what Chaffetz would do if Huntsman ran and Hatch retired. I don't think Huntsman would run against Hatch though.

At some point movement conservatives have got to realize Chaffetz is selling them a bill of goods. Chaffetz TP'd Chris Cannon just to become a part of the GOP leadership/establishment wing, despite exclaiming "libertarianish" leanings. Like Hatch, Chaffetz is a snake.

I don't see how becoming part of the leadership automatically makes you no longer a "movement conservative", but I do agree that Chaffetz is a snake. A senator who will be Senator in January 2019, however.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 11:13:30 PM »

I don't see how becoming part of the leadership automatically makes you no longer a "movement conservative", but I do agree that Chaffetz is a snake. A senator who will be Senator in January 2019, however.

Well Chaffetz was the original guy who stripped Meadows of his position on the Government Oversight committee, and there is no doubt that he would primary himself if he were in his earlier position.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 11:51:27 PM »

Well Chaffetz was the original guy who stripped Meadows of his position on the Government Oversight committee, and there is no doubt that he would primary himself if he were in his earlier position.

Fair enough. He still has a few populist/libertarian views as far as I can tell, but I guess he's become somewhat establishment.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 03:53:15 PM »

I like how becoming pragmatic = being a snake lmao. Chaffetz would be my favorite candidate if Hatch retires and/or Chaffetz challenges him.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 01:27:45 PM »

Hatch ran to the right in 2012 because the Tea Party scared him. He'll run to the right again and win. He's a lifer.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 08:08:24 PM »

He's also a possibility (and he knows it, which is probably the reason he's buddying up to Mike Lee). Huntsman has some disadvantages though, in terms of being considered a Jack Mormon (i.e., not very faithful, treats the faith more like culture than religion, etc), and being critical of conservative ideology in many cases. On the other hand, he's a former governor and still quite popular among some Utahns. I'm not sure what Chaffetz would do if Huntsman ran and Hatch retired. I don't think Huntsman would run against Hatch though.

Yes. Here's hoping Hatch retires.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies