draq queens vs trans people
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:29:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  draq queens vs trans people
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: draq queens vs trans people
drag queens

trans people

i don't even....

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: draq queens vs trans people  (Read 988 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2015, 04:19:55 AM »

Apparently this is a thing.....

cite (thinkprogress.org)

{sample quote, much much more at link}
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The gist, as far as I can tell, is that some of the transgendered people are mad at the drag queens for not caring enough.....or using the word "tranny"...or perhaps just confusing the cis?  It is kind of confusing.  Nevermind that it was the drag queens that were some of the first to stand up and fight, literally, for the rights of everybody whose sexual orientation is considered outside the norm.

I have no dog in this fight, but I don't think it's good for the various sexual liberation movements.  I'm leaning towards the drag queens as they seem to be just trying to have fun while the trans taking issue with them are just angry....but I'm sure I'm missing something.  It's unfortunate how common and destructive fighting between peoples on the same side (more or less) is.

(and if I used a term incorrectly or otherwise offended someone somehow, know it was not intentional....and if I got something wrong, again, not intentional, educate me, don't bash me.)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:24:59 AM »

in principle, drag is equivalent to blackface. really the only redeeming feature is that it can act as an outlet for trans people who aren't out.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:45:20 AM »

in principle, drag is equivalent to blackface. really the only redeeming feature is that it can act as an outlet for trans people who aren't out.
youtube link where a dude explains why it isn't

the points:
1.drag is an expression of yourself, blackface is an attack on someone else
2.blackface reinforces an imbalance of power, drag disassembles a power imbalance
3.drag celebrates women, blackface mocks black people
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 05:35:20 AM »

Trans people demanding people conform to one gender expression if they aren't trans is both tragic and divisive.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »

The inevitable 'authenticity' debate rears its head in trans politics. Don't you know? Once you've achieved some degree of visibility in your struggle against social backwardness, the thing to do is create a new 'authentic' role that your own 'community' will have to conform to, because remember, all transgendered people are defined by that single characteristic and must, at all times, conform to stereotypical roles that define that characteristic. Sound vaguely transphobic and semi-segregationist? Well, that's because it is. That's how it works in America. You achieve some visibility, get a few bones thrown to you by the bourgeois state, and then the same thing goes on as before, but it seems like your 'community' has been 'empowered' because now you get to show up in advertisements, corporations cater to 'your' market, etc, etc.

It's funny how the New Left hangover still hasn't ended, and it's even funnier how much of it has been co-opted and made into something harmless, part and parcel of the dominant ideology. 'Authenticity' is pretty much a garbage concept, right up there with its twin, opposition to 'cultural appropriation' (i.e. support for social segregation), etc, etc.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 11:30:53 AM »

Whu... ?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »

I am not remotely interested in identity policing, regardless if the person doing it is classified as oppressed or not.

Did it occur to the anti-drag advocates that gay men who like to dress up in women's clothing and perform are probably "genderqueer" to some degree? Of course not. Those buzzwords only exist when using them as an excuse to be horrible on Tumblr.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 12:56:11 PM »

Anything that erodes the differences between genders is fine by me. I do understand why a lot of trans people are irritated with being associated with drag queens, but I don't view it as making fun of transwomen in particular (at least no more than it makes fun of cis women).
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 03:14:27 AM »

I honestly, really don't care any more. I really, really, really don't care any more.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 10:20:37 AM »

"I don't even. . ." option. Whatever lies beyond hyper sensitivity, this is probably it.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 03:40:21 PM »

Yes, not interested in this issue.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 08:44:06 PM »

People can identify with any gender or lack thereof that they wish to. Claiming that a certain sub-group of transgender people are not "truly" trans is a transphobic argument.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 06:26:35 AM »

I can understand that trans people may feel bothered with the use of the word "tranny", given its derogative connotation. Aside from that, a "drag queen vs trans people" battle looks somewhat pointless and stupid. People on the "outside the norm" camp should not engage in sterile infighting. Better than this would be solving possible differences by mutual understanding, as well the best way to achieve respect and appreciation from our heteronormative society is through education. For instance, the trans issue is about identity and not sexual orientation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies