A foreign leader as US President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:25:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A foreign leader as US President
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: A foreign leader as US President  (Read 3363 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 01:50:26 PM »

Kim Jong-Un. Tongue

Seriously though, I think that you'd have to import ideological majorities along with the foreign leader (especially if the leader is a lefty), otherwise nothing will get done.  But if you get the majorities, I'd say the Prime Minister of Italy wouldn't be too bad. Or Hollande from France.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 02:35:52 PM »

I just thought of something. We could even have a Thaksin. We already have one, in fact. We call him Donald Trump.

I like this comparison the more I think about it. A Prime Minister Trump in the process of monopolising power would probably enough for urban liberals to take to the streets "in the defence of the monarchy".
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »

Which is why he is preferable to a more handsome, well-spoken authoritarian.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 03:53:44 PM »

Netanyahu, Harper or Cameron.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »

99% of world leaders are worse than Obama (normal).

The only Latin American leftists I don't find completely insufferable are Vazquez, who is incredibly mediocre compared to his predecessor, and Morales, who isn't perfect either. Almost all European leaders are terrible austericrats, with Tsipras being the obvious exception. Tsipras is largely the product of his environment though, and I have no idea what he would do in an American context. I also like Stefan Lofven, but he seems rather inconsequential. My knowledge of politics in the developing world is extremely limited, but I doubt I'm going to find anyone I like there.

No, a thousand times no.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »

Putin, because despite his lack of respect for free speech he would restore our national sovereignty and end our interference in other's affairs.

Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 11:00:29 PM »

Pope Francis
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 10:33:51 PM »

Stephen Harper, Tony Abbott or Benjamin Netanyahu.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 09:54:47 PM »

Probably Ian Khama
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 11:32:34 PM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2015, 05:09:11 AM »

Merkel is a good choice, primarily because she is so aimless and poll-driven she could immediately adapt to American norms with no difficulty.

sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2015, 02:18:11 PM »

Mark Rutte
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2015, 02:19:08 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2015, 02:23:37 PM by DavidB. »

Why...? I'm honestly curious as to why a libertarian from California would pick Mark Rutte of all leaders to lead the U.S. Tongue

Anyway, yeah, Rutte would obviously be better than Obama but so would many right-wing European PMs (Merkel, Solberg...).

Harper, Abbott and Netanyahu seem to be the obvious choices, with Cameron as a good number four.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 02:24:57 PM »

Why...? I'm honestly curious as to why a libertarian from California would pick Mark Rutte of all leaders to lead the U.S. Tongue

Anyway, yeah, Rutte would obviously be better than Obama but so would many right-wing European PMs.

Harper, Abbott and Netanyahu seem to be the obvious choices, with Cameron as a good number four.

I like Rutte in particular. In addition to general quality leadership on fiscal policy (along the lines of a Merkel or a Cameron), his social policy stands out, like I recall him taking stands against smoking bans and against making Holocaust denial illegal.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2015, 02:31:45 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2015, 02:35:47 PM by DavidB. »

Anyway, yeah, Rutte would obviously be better than Obama but so would many right-wing European PMs.

I like Rutte in particular. In addition to general quality leadership on fiscal policy (along the lines of a Merkel or a Cameron), his social policy stands out, like I recall him taking stands against smoking bans and against making Holocaust denial illegal.
That was when he actually stood (or seemed to stand) for something, far before his first term as PM Tongue  Sadly, his Rutte-I cabinet pushed for making it much harder to buy marijuana (while not criminalizing it completely), something his supposedly "liberal" VVD supported as well because muh law and order (ignoring the fact that this proposal would actually lead to a big increase of street dealing and drug-related violence). Fortunately, however, these efforts failed when the cabinet fell, leaving the situation as it was.

I used to like him very much, but while I still like his "style" and I see what you mean, he and his party have pretty much of a mixed record right now, also coming out against (!) new budget cuts because that "hurts the economy" :')

Oh, and to people who are saying Maduro/Morales: seriously?! Seriously....?!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2015, 02:47:04 PM by Crabby And His Moron Brothers »

I should emphasise I don't particularly like Correa/Chavez/Morales - I find them populist and somewhat authoritarian - but I find it hard to deny they have left their countries in a better state than when they came to power (unlike, say, Maduro/Ortega/Kirchner). I will give the same credit to a few rightists (although precious few) - Sirleaf, maybe even begrudgingly Key and possibly even the DA if they ever take South Africa. I like a few floppy centrists like Benigno Aquino III and (maybe with future judgement) Joko Widodo. However too many contempary rightists are sticks in the mud (Harper), laughably incompetent wrecks (Abbott) or slimy opportunists (Merkel).

* seriously, Abbott is a moron. I find the prospect of a POTUS Harper terrifying, but a POTUS Abbott would kill conservatism for generations.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2015, 04:32:13 PM »

Why does Harper inspire such vitriol in left-wingers, anyway?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2015, 06:34:21 PM »

Well many reasons, but perhaps most disturbing is he is very good as what he does. I cannot deny the man is (and I use this phrase in as neutral a sense as I can) a very capable politician.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2015, 03:08:01 PM »

Probably Merkel, but to be frank I think Obama's presidency was excellent and the American people will learn to appreciate it only n retrospect. My only disappointment with his tenure was his unwillingness to put that demagogue Netanyahu on the spot.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2015, 05:03:42 AM »

Well many reasons, but perhaps most disturbing is he is very good as what he does. I cannot deny the man is (and I use this phrase in as neutral a sense as I can) a very capable politician.

Yes, but this requires his political programme to be fear-inducing. I have no reason to believe that it is. Why is it?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2015, 09:57:03 AM »

Harper or Abbott, since Canada and Australia are probably the closest to America culturally, and they're conservative relative to the rest of their countries.
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2015, 07:50:40 PM »

David Cameron.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »

Yes, but this requires his political programme to be fear-inducing. I have no reason to believe that it is. Why is it?

How do you feel about gutting the census?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2015, 10:06:41 PM »

How do you feel about gutting the census?

Considerably short of mortified.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2015, 06:17:04 AM »

For one his environmental policy is pitch black.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies