Bush adminstration busted in new lie about Al Qaeda
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:44:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush adminstration busted in new lie about Al Qaeda
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush adminstration busted in new lie about Al Qaeda  (Read 1409 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2005, 09:10:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Whoops. For some reason the Sunday Times site is down, but you can see that it's real with GOOGLE news.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/5/7/203513/2265
beowulf
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 09:18:35 PM »

Wow, that must have been embarrassing for Bush.  At least we got someone in Al-Qaeda.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 09:37:29 PM »

Wiki says there was a $1 million bounty on his head.  Sounds pretty "wanted" to me.

The media also reported that he was behind Daniel Pearl's murder and assassination attempts on Musharraf.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 09:40:33 PM »

Why do you try to lie again. The article says they got confused with someone with pratically the same name. That means they made a mistake jfraud. Once again, do you read your links?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 09:43:44 PM »

Why do you try to lie again. The article says they got confused with someone with pratically the same name. That means they made a mistake jfraud. Once again, do you read your links?

That was pretty stupid of them if it was a mistake. Thos two candidates in the Ukrine had almost the same name, too, you know.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 09:48:22 PM »

Oh gee, we're not entirely sure of the hierarchy of an underground terrorist organization, operating covertly.  I'm stunned. 

(That's sarcasm.)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 09:49:19 PM »

Oh gee, we're not entirely sure of the hierarchy of an underground terrorist organization, operating covertly.  I'm stunned. 

(That's sarcasm.)

Maybe we shouldn't proudly announce we busted the #3 guy then?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 09:53:58 PM »

(That's sarcasm.)

Maybe we shouldn't proudly announce we busted the #3 guy then?

The announce who they thought it was, some other experts, who might have even less accurate information, don't agree.

Since al Qaeda doesn't publish its organizational chart, I'm not seeing this as anything major.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 11:01:38 PM »

Ok, so IF it was just a mistake, from now on tget better not mention 3rd in command with this guy, because they now know that was a 'mistake',  If they continue to say this guy was #3 then its a flat out lie (just like it was when Cheney kept pointing at Saddam's involvement in 9/11 long after we knew it was false)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 11:17:15 PM »

I haven't heard the #3 line since Thursday night myself, then again, I haven't watched the news yet today.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 09:45:29 AM »

The latest TIME article on the subject repeats the #3 assertion and says:
And we all know how rabidly pro-Bush CNN/Time-Warner is Tongue

The only "confusion" on the issue that I've seen is detailed in the wiki article I linked above.  There is another al-Libbi (the Libyan) by the same name who was involved in the embassy bombings.  I have not seen any evidence that the captured al-Libbi was not the one involved in Pearl's murder or the assassination attempts on Musharraf.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 10:11:13 AM »

Time's bias is towards profits, so they do have an incentive to blow up this story as it makes their reporting seem more interesting.

Pay close attention to what Condolezza Rice was actually saying in her May 4 meeting with the Australian foreign minister:

"I think that over the next couple of days we will be able to describe that this is a truly significant arrest. This is, we believe, a kind of -- one of those important field generals in the al-Qaida organization."

No mention of 3rd in command. If she'd known he was 3rd in command, don't you think she would have mentioned it? At that point the former national security advisor was not even able to describe the arrest as "truly significant". She also describes him as "one of those important field generals." Clearly more in line with the description of him as a middle-level official. Yet the U.S. press, including Time, seems not to care.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 10:27:11 AM »

Time's bias is towards profits, so they do have an incentive to blow up this story as it makes their reporting seem more interesting.

Pay close attention to what Condolezza Rice was actually saying in her May 4 meeting with the Australian foreign minister:

"I think that over the next couple of days we will be able to describe that this is a truly significant arrest. This is, we believe, a kind of -- one of those important field generals in the al-Qaida organization."

No mention of 3rd in command. If she'd known he was 3rd in command, don't you think she would have mentioned it? At that point the former national security advisor was not even able to describe the arrest as "truly significant". She also describes him as "one of those important field generals." Clearly more in line with the description of him as a middle-level official. Yet the U.S. press, including Time, seems not to care.
Classic "appeal to ignorance"--you are saying that Rice didn't confirm the "number 3" claim and therefore the number 3 claim is false.  LBJ never denied that he had Kennedy shot, therefore LBJ planned the assassination.

The CNN article from that day also does not characterize al-Libbi as "number 3"; he is only called a "senior" member.  The reason for this may be explained in the TIME article I linked above:

Regardless of which story is true, it is clear that the U.S. was not willing to confirm al-Libbi's rank until well after the story broke.  This is easily explained by a desire not to say too much too soon.  There is no need to construct an elaborate conspiracy to explain it.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 11:00:06 AM »

This may also be the case of the US intentionally overblowing the nature of the capture to try and get bin Laden moving.  When you can flush your quarry out of his hole, you have a better chance to capture him. 
Shira

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 12:59:36 PM »

It is not easy to catch Bush telling the truth
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 02:34:36 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2005, 02:37:13 PM by phknrocket1k »

It doesn't really matter whether Bush tells lies or not, his party is just a cult of personality that is obsessed with the second-coming of Jesus Christ.

Thats why science classes scare them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies