Where do you stand on the killing of Cecil the Lion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:45:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Where do you stand on the killing of Cecil the Lion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is your position on Cecil the lion's killing?
If you care about Cecil the lion, then you don't care about ISIS

If you care about Cecil the lion, then you don't care about abortion

If you care about Cecil the lion, then you don't care about black lives

I am against lion murder and can also simultaneously hold other views on other issues

I am pro- lion murder

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Where do you stand on the killing of Cecil the Lion?  (Read 3969 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2015, 02:47:51 PM »

My facebook newsfeed has been blowing up with posts about what posting about Cecil the lion means for serious issues facing the world, so I figured this needs to be debated here.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 02:50:55 PM »

You have so many different options, but you forgot "Who the f**k is Cecil the lion?"
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 03:13:04 PM »

My facebook newsfeed has been blowing up with posts about what posting about Cecil the lion means for serious issues facing the world, so I figured this needs to be debated here.
FF
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:35:09 PM »

I don't give a sh!t
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 04:05:17 PM »

Hunting of lions and any other threatened species should be illegal obviously, and the methods in which Cecil was hunted were especially terrible. The Cat Lives Matter hashtag is terrible and in very poor taste though. Linking this to ISIS or abortion sounds like a useless strawman.

Given that the hunter was a rich asshole illegally hunting because he could get away with it, I figured you would be opposed to it.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 05:06:49 PM »

You have so many different options, but you forgot "Who the f**k is Cecil the lion?"
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »

All recreational hunting should be illegal
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 04:41:13 AM »

Yup.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 09:52:06 AM »

Given that the hunter was a rich asshole illegally hunting because he could get away with it, I figured you would be opposed to it.

I'm not really concerned all that much about one guy killing one lion when people are murdered by U.S. imperialism daily. This is a 'look over here!' news story if there ever was one. Roll Eyes

I don't agree with this at all. Why should recreational hunting be illegal? Out of concern for 'animal rights', or some other reason? So long as too many aren't killed, it's not that big of a deal, is it?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 10:18:43 AM »

A canned hunt for a lion?

It's about as heroic as a canned hunt for a dog.  (Dogs have some very lion-like behavior).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »

It's absolutely fine to be upset about Cecil the lion, but maybe pay some attention to the context of big game hunting and why it is African countries think they need to allow it.

Also I have a friend from DRC and I completely get his frustration with the proportionate attention this is receiving compared to other issues in the region.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 02:23:29 PM »

I despise lion hunting.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 02:32:56 PM »

I don't really care about the killing of a non-endangered animal, which wasn't someones pet. But I despise people who pay a fortune to travel the world to hunt, mostly because my experience with rich lazy hunters are general negative.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 02:33:38 PM »

I stand on whatever general principle there is to the effect that, if you are overly concerned about this kind of thing, that is clear indication that you have things very good in your life.  
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 02:38:07 PM »

I support Lion hunting.

But old school: naked human hunter with self-made natural weapon vs. Lion

... then we'll see who comes out alive.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »

I don't really care about this particular case, and I'm horrified at how the social media lynch mob has descended upon this fellow, but if he broke the law in Zimbabwe, he should face consequences for it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 10:03:37 AM »

and I'm horrified at how the social media lynch mob has descended upon this fellow

Yeah, clearly he's the real victim here. Roll Eyes
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 10:23:34 AM »

I don't really care about this particular case, and I'm horrified at how the social media lynch mob has descended upon this fellow,

I'm not horrified over it, it's completely deserved for being such a douche, and here I don't talk about hunting, but all the thing which have followed this. He paid 50 000$ to go on lion hunting with bow and arrow, and the sh**thead didn't even succeed in killing it (it was hunted down 40 hours later). If I bought a service for 50 000, I would check to see if it was legal.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course not, do you want to live in a country which extradite its citizens to Zimbabwe?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 11:00:57 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2015, 11:03:20 AM by DC Al Fine »

and I'm horrified at how the social media lynch mob has descended upon this fellow

When you're done beating up that strawman, feel free to address my point. Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 11:08:46 AM »

As an aside, let me point out that most of the posters here live in areas where the apex predators have been eliminated and would be opposed to their reintroduction. Despite being native to the Carolinas, I can't see either the wolf or the panther ever being anything but sport team mascots here.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 11:39:57 AM »

I stand on whatever general principle there is to the effect that, if you are overly concerned about this kind of thing, that is clear indication that you have things very good in your life. 

Because empathy for another living being is only for the extremely well-off? Roll Eyes

As an aside, let me point out that most of the posters here live in areas where the apex predators have been eliminated and would be opposed to their reintroduction. Despite being native to the Carolinas, I can't see either the wolf or the panther ever being anything but sport team mascots here.

Particularly poor strawman.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 02:17:22 PM »

Dr. Walter James Palmer had better hope that the police finds him before anyone else does.  Tongue
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 03:59:23 PM »

I don't really care about the killing of a non-endangered animal, which wasn't someones pet. But I despise people who pay a fortune to travel the world to hunt, mostly because my experience with rich lazy hunters are general negative.
The "good" African hunting groups actually do a lot to help the locals and the wildlife.  Rich cracker ass cracker from the West comes in and drops 60 large to hunt a surplus elephant or whatever.  That 60 grand goes to a lot of good places.  Certainly more to help the locals than (likely) anyone reading this will ever do.

Of course they ain't all "good" African hunting groups, like the one this Dentist went through.  We should do what we can to help prevent them.

...and I'm not saying this is the best possible scenario for the locals or the wildlife, but it's one of the better things happening in a lot of places.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 04:13:46 PM »

When you're done beating up that strawman, feel free to address my point. Smiley

What is your point? Why shouldn't the "social media lynch mob" descend on him? Even if you accept his version of the facts as 100% true, he's still pretty terrible, and that's something I'd want to know about my dentist before I paid him boatloads of money.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »

I mean, if he ends up getting beaten up or killed as a result of all this, yes, he kind of would be, wouldn't he? Human lives obviously outweigh those of wild animals, unless you're one of the OUTRAGED PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET calling for blood right now. What's utterly f**ked about this whole episode is how quick people are to jump on the lynch mob bandwagon for an animal, but turn a blind eye as black men in this country keep getting killed by police, day after day.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies