An idea I've been toying with
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:47:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  An idea I've been toying with
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An idea I've been toying with  (Read 1489 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2015, 05:13:20 AM »

How about reducing the size of the Senate to ensure more competitive federal elections?

Basically, instead of 10, there would be 8 Senators, four elected at-large and four from districts (since we have more than 4 regions). Electoral cycles remains the same.

What do you think?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 05:38:11 AM »

I'm in favour of reducing the size of the Senate.
3 regions. 2 Senators per region + 1 Senator elected At-Large (At-Large elections for 1 seat are really interesting) = 7 Senators.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 06:14:23 AM »

I'm in favour of reducing the size of the Senate.
3 regions. 2 Senators per region + 1 Senator elected At-Large (At-Large elections for 1 seat are really interesting) = 7 Senators.

It's very good, but I'd still have at least 2 Senators elected at large. Your proposal makes population at large underrepresented.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 11:06:25 AM »

When I was running for At-Large Senate a few weeks back, I proposed a plan for a 7-member Senate:

The Senate would be the most changed of the three branches. Under the new system, there would be three classes of senators: Class A would consist of senators elected by the Regions, Class B would consist of senators elected per a district system, and Class C would consist of a single At-Large Senator who would serve as the chamber's ceremonial presiding officer much as the Vice President does now. In the event that the president leaves office before the end of his term, the Senator At-Large would assume the office of president. (NOTE: These changes include Regional Consolidation, so the number of Senators would actually decrease under this plan.) Senators would continue to serve four year terms, with elections for Class A held in presidential election months and elections for Classes B and C held two months afterwards.

This plan also abolished the vice presidency, vesting the powers of that office in the Senator At-Large.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 03:09:35 PM »

When I was running for At-Large Senate a few weeks back, I proposed a plan for a 7-member Senate:

The Senate would be the most changed of the three branches. Under the new system, there would be three classes of senators: Class A would consist of senators elected by the Regions, Class B would consist of senators elected per a district system, and Class C would consist of a single At-Large Senator who would serve as the chamber's ceremonial presiding officer much as the Vice President does now. In the event that the president leaves office before the end of his term, the Senator At-Large would assume the office of president. (NOTE: These changes include Regional Consolidation, so the number of Senators would actually decrease under this plan.) Senators would continue to serve four year terms, with elections for Class A held in presidential election months and elections for Classes B and C held two months afterwards.

This plan also abolished the vice presidency, vesting the powers of that office in the Senator At-Large.

i hope you meant four-month terms, not four-year terms Tongue
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:21:06 PM »

i hope you meant four-month terms, not four-year terms Tongue
Yes. Tongue
pikachu
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 07:35:22 PM »

My thinking is pretty much the same as Truman, except I'd give the duties of the presiding officer to the dean of the Senate instead of the at-large Senator.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 03:45:25 AM »

Why not retain the 5 regional senators, and simply reduce the number of at-large senators? What's the reason to have the same number of each?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 11:27:21 AM »

Why not retain the 5 regional senators, and simply reduce the number of at-large senators? What's the reason to have the same number of each?
I don't have a problem with this in theory, but I don't think Atlasia can sustain 5 active Regions right now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 11:45:23 AM »

I don't have a problem with this in theory, but I don't think Atlasia can sustain 5 active Regions right now.

Neither do I.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 10:44:55 AM »

Fair enough. Basically, I think that 4-5 regional senators and 3-4 at-large senators to make it equal 7 or 8 would work best, if we're looking to reduce the Senate numbers (which makes sense).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »

I'm happy most of us seems to agree on principle.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 01:01:07 AM »

To prevent one from out voting the other. Basically the equivalent of the divide in real life between State based Senate and proportional based House, but in a unicameral format.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 01:08:23 AM »

I prefer a bicameral system organized along the lines of the Duke Plan, but with a much smaller house than his 2013 plan called for. 

Original Duke Plan: Six Regional Senators (two per Region w/ 3 regions) + 11 I think member People's House.

So that but with like 5 members in the House so as to cope with our smaller active population now. That would be +1 on the national legislature, but a reduction overal of 6 to 9 seats from having fewer regions.

A Four Region map can achieve a sub 10 member National Legislature

4 Regions x 1 each = 4 SEnators  + 4 to 5 People's Representatives = 8 to 9.

But of course for those two fewer seats nationally, you might have three to five more regionally.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 05:15:18 AM »

I don't think we could sustain a bicameral Congress in present situation Sad
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 05:27:16 AM »

To prevent one from out voting the other. Basically the equivalent of the divide in real life between State based Senate and proportional based House, but in a unicameral format.

I suppose that makes sense, but then again, if 4-5 regional Senators, each from different regions, can agree on something, it's probably not a bad bill. Would there be a scenario where all the regional senators agree on one thing, but all the At-Large senators don't? (My brain's struggling to find one, but maybe that's just me.)
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 12:50:29 PM »

I suppose that makes sense, but then again, if 4-5 regional Senators, each from different regions, can agree on something, it's probably not a bad bill. Would there be a scenario where all the regional senators agree on one thing, but all the At-Large senators don't? (My brain's struggling to find one, but maybe that's just me.)

Well, consolidation for one. Let's say, hypothetically, that a moderately popular three-Region map was introduced in the Senate. At-Large senators would have an incentive to support it, or at least would have no reason to oppose it: they rely on the approval of the national electorate and are unaffected by Regional boundaries. Regional senators, however, might be more hesitant: consolidation could potentially endanger their reelection prospects by throwing them into a Region whose voters are indifferent to them or loyal to another long-time representative. If Regional senators outnumber At-Large senators (say, in a 6-1 system like what you proposed), consolidation might very well be defeated by the interests of the Regional senators, even if the population at large supports it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies