Should Spanish be an official language in the US?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:49:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Spanish be an official language in the US?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should it?
Yes in all 50 states and federally

Only in states with 20%+ Hispanics

Only in states with 10%+ Hispanics

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Should Spanish be an official language in the US?  (Read 4765 times)
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »

Keep official languages a state-by-state thing. More bilingual education should be pursued, though.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 05:41:41 PM »

Keep official languages a state-by-state thing. More bilingual education should be pursued, though.
I tend to agree, but like a lot of issues it could be decided by the voters and not the politicians.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 09:14:54 PM »

No -why should we make Spanish into an official language when even English doesn't have that status, at least not nationally?

And besides, third generation Latinos are so integrated they hardly speak Spanish anymore, even at home.  

I agree with your first point, but I don't see why "some Latinos don't speak Spanish" changes the fact that some do.
Jacobtm

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 08:44:09 AM »

We shouldn't support Spanish as an official language, we should try our best to integrate people as quickly as possible not work to prolong and promote cultural differences.

Already many immigrants to the U.S. still identify as more Mexican or Dominican than American. If they're going to be here anyway, our government should be focused on bringing them into the fold, not making them feel like they're forever foreigners.

Puerto Ricans in New York who don't even speak Spanish still identify as more Puerto Rican than American, it's just silly.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 09:56:16 AM »

Puerto Ricans are American. Is it a problem that white Southerners identify more as Southerners than Americans?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 01:39:31 PM »

Puerto Ricans are American. Is it a problem that white Southerners identify more as Southerners than Americans?
Yes
Jacobtm

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 03:36:30 PM »

Well Southerners tried to rebel, were defeated, lost their representation in our government for a time, suffered occupation for a generation, and are generally denigrated by our national media, their symbols are actively being destroyed, etc.

Their situation is akin to the Irish in Great Britain, a conquered people who really aren't happy about it. We've been trying to stamp out their culture since the end of the war but they stubbornly persist in it. They're like the Irish in Great Britain really. Their culture is not foreign but completely American, they cling not to their European roots but to their long-standing American roots. Not comparable to foreigners holding on to foreign identity.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 05:56:12 PM »

Puerto Ricans are not foreign.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2015, 05:58:55 PM »

Well, some PRs consider themselves a separate nationality.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 06:01:43 PM »

They're American. Doesn't matter whether they consider themselves a different nationality.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 06:30:18 PM »

They're American. Doesn't matter whether they consider themselves a different nationality.

They're certainly US citizens and have US passports, with all the rights and privileges thereunto appertaining, but nationality is another matter.  In that regard, they are puertorriqueños.  Those I've met on my visits to Puerto Rico, and those I've met in my travels to other parts of Latin America, and those right here at home--Lancaster has a large population of puertorriqueños; about 28% claim puertorican ancestry--all consider their nationality to be Puerto Rican.

You have to be careful with the word nationality, especially in the Americas.  It has at least two proper dictionary definitions, and I suspect many more in the vernacular.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2015, 11:22:09 PM »

The US shouldn't have an official language
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2015, 01:29:27 PM »

I'm in agreement with those that say the US should not have any official language. However, with respect to Spanish as a second language, I think it should be taught in all schools from K-12 alongside English (and I believe I elaborated upon that in another relatively recent topic here).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies