Merkel running for 4th term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:02:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Merkel running for 4th term
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Merkel running for 4th term  (Read 6237 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2015, 04:49:39 AM »

Per SPIEGEL. CDU SG Peter Tauber will be her campaign manager, though she won't officially announce until next year.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 04:59:02 AM »

Good.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 05:16:49 AM »

What is it with CDU politicians never knowing when to quit?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 05:50:37 AM »

I liked that the politico article mentioned both Kohl and Bismark, not sure if Merkel will rank as high as them. Is she likely to win?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 06:12:36 AM »

She's facing the German voters, not the Greek ones. I think she'll be fine.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 06:19:18 AM »

Awesome news. Apart from van der Leyen, are they any other potential heirs/heiresses apparent?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 06:22:09 AM »

I liked that the politico article mentioned both Kohl and Bismark, not sure if Merkel will rank as high as them. Is she likely to win?

She is dead set to win. The question is more by how much she will win, that she will win is out of question.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 07:19:46 AM »

Four more years of cosy social-democratic governance in Germany, then.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 07:40:50 AM »

Excellent news. Germany's everlasting dominance in Europe will remain stable.
The fact that Antonio is clearly annoyed makes this news even more sweet.
Hydera

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 08:28:20 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2015, 08:42:17 AM by Hydera »

cheer up.

its not like if merkel didn't run then gygor gisi becomes chancellor of germany, bernie sanders becomes president and jeremy corbyn becomes PM of UK. and they write greece a check of a total of €10 trillion euros so they can overspend on welfare, pensions and bloated public sector jobs again.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 08:43:43 AM »

cheer up.

its not like if merkel didn't run then gygor gisi becomes chancellor of germany, bernie sanders becomes president and jeremy corbyn becomes PM of UK. and they write greece a check of a total of €10 trillion euros so they can overspend on welfare, pensions and bloated public sector jobs again.
Lol!
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 09:23:05 AM »

Most politicians don't know when to quit.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 10:10:09 AM »

We're talking about Bismarck 125 years after his death, he's still a household name, even among non-Germans he's widely known and a divisive character but still a politician modern politician are compared positive to, he's in the champions league of historic politicians. No, Merkel is no Bismarck, and that would also be a insane high standard to hold her up to. But Bismarck is just a figure all modern German Kanslers are compared to, if they're successful.

As for Kohl, I think she's a superior politician, I personal don't think people will talk much about Kohl in a few decades time, of course the question is also how big a splash Merkel is going to make in the history books, I could imagine that the reason we see her as something unique, is more a question that Germany have come out of the post-reunification crisis under her (thanks to Schröders reforms) and Germany suddenly have to deal with EU as the biggest economy and the biggest country in it. She may very well just be the first of many German Kanslers who have to deal with the changed balance of power in Europe, a Europe where the Paris-Berlin axis have broken down, and Germany suddenly have to deal with their new and unwelcomed (as much in Berlin as in Paris) dominance.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »

This is shaping up to be a very boring election.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 12:05:14 PM »

RIP Europe Sad
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 12:16:23 PM »

She is dead set to win. The question is more by how much she will win, that she will win is out of question.

Well I suppose hypothetically (assuming the FDP fail to get back in) there could be a broad red-red-green coalition, if the lefties are collectively sick of being the junior whipping boys.

Polls in Germany have been so boring lately.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 12:42:31 PM »

Even given everything you'd still have to say intends to at this stage: "events dear boy" and all that.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 12:45:24 PM »

We're talking about Bismarck 125 years after his death, he's still a household name, even among non-Germans he's widely known and a divisive character but still a politician modern politician are compared positive to, he's in the champions league of historic politicians. No, Merkel is no Bismarck, and that would also be a insane high standard to hold her up to. But Bismarck is just a figure all modern German Kanslers are compared to, if they're successful.

As for Kohl, I think she's a superior politician, I personal don't think people will talk much about Kohl in a few decades time, of course the question is also how big a splash Merkel is going to make in the history books, I could imagine that the reason we see her as something unique, is more a question that Germany have come out of the post-reunification crisis under her (thanks to Schröders reforms) and Germany suddenly have to deal with EU as the biggest economy and the biggest country in it. She may very well just be the first of many German Kanslers who have to deal with the changed balance of power in Europe, a Europe where the Paris-Berlin axis have broken down, and Germany suddenly have to deal with their new and unwelcomed (as much in Berlin as in Paris) dominance.

Kohl was just one of several conservative, anti-Communist Western leaders in the 80s, overshadowed by Reagan and Thatcher. Merkel is the leader of her own little bloc though. She's a leader in global politics rather than a passenger. She will be a larger figure in history than Kohl for sure.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »

Kohl was just one of several conservative, anti-Communist Western leaders in the 80s, overshadowed by Reagan and Thatcher. Merkel is the leader of her own little bloc though. She's a leader in global politics rather than a passenger. She will be a larger figure in history than Kohl for sure.

Of course that's also a result of a Germany changing from a country the size of France or UK to one significant stronger with their own sphere of influence to the east (which ironic are welcomed today, I think Merkel really need to thank both Putin and the French government, for the northern east Europeans seeing Berlin as representants for their interests).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 01:10:45 PM »

Well I suppose hypothetically (assuming the FDP fail to get back in) there could be a broad red-red-green coalition, if the lefties are collectively sick of being the junior whipping boys.

Polls in Germany have been so boring lately.

I wish. Unfortunately the SDP blokes are more scared of talking to Linke than being Merkel's whipping boy.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 01:18:56 PM »

Of course that's also a result of a Germany changing from a country the size of France or UK to one significant stronger with their own sphere of influence to the east (which ironic are welcomed today, I think Merkel really need to thank both Putin and the French government, for the northern east Europeans seeing Berlin as representants for their interests).

That may not last that much though because Germany is losing population while France gains.
If the current pattern is sustained then in a few years the latter will surpass the former not only in terms of population but also of GDP.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »

That may not last that much though because Germany is losing population while France gains.
If the current pattern is sustained then in a few years the latter will surpass the former not only in terms of population but also of GDP.

That's quite wrong: Germany had a population increase of 400.000 people last year (+0.5%), while France had +300.000 people (+0.4%).
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 01:33:45 PM »

Not really even if we took the "worst" case scenario for Germany and "best" for France, it would hardly be in a few years, but rather in 2050, and the German GDP would take decades more to overtake if ever.

But looking at the newest numbers, while the German birth rate are lower than it death rate, the German population are growing thanks to immigration and it's growing more in absolut numbers than the French, and immigration usual result in a bump in the lower end of the population pyramid resulting in a lowering of the age of statistic average German.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »

Supposing that both the FDP and the AfD manage to just pass the 5% threshold and that Merkel only needs one of them to form a government, which would she likely prefer, or would she try to take both so as to have a more stable government?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 02:44:14 PM »

Supposing that both the FDP and the AfD manage to just pass the 5% threshold and that Merkel only needs one of them to form a government, which would she likely prefer, or would she try to take both so as to have a more stable government?

Merkel would never enter a coalition with the Petry-AfD.

The FDP on the other hand would be an option of course.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies