Canadian federal election - October 19, 2015 (Official Campaign Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:49:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal election - October 19, 2015 (Official Campaign Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian federal election - October 19, 2015 (Official Campaign Thread)  (Read 235181 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: August 02, 2015, 09:37:13 AM »

Please use this thread for the campaign. The other would get too unwieldy.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:20:56 AM »

Elizabeth May is always so refreshingly weird and insane.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:31:30 PM »

Let's keep the excessive hyperbole and useless spinning under control guys, please (ie 'Heir Harper', 'he who cowers in closet').
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:13:22 PM »

Let's keep the excessive hyperbole and useless spinning under control guys, please (ie 'Heir Harper', 'he who cowers in closet').

1.You said nothing about referring to Justin Trudeau as 'Justin' which had been done in a previous post.

2.Stephen Harper cowering in a closet is a fact.  There is nothing on this board that says facts can't be stated if they are embarrassing.  In this case, it is highly relevant as Harper portrays himself as 'Mr Security' when this shows the reality is that he is an easily scared little boy.

Of course, it's often the case that the easily frightened tend to support police state laws like C-51.

If you have a different term you'd prefer me to use, fine, but unless you are going to ban me or delete my posts, I will continue to refer to Harper as 'He who cowers in closets' because it is true, there is no rule against it and because it is highly relevant to Harper's true personality.

And if you are going to either ban me or delete my posts, I want an explanation as to why a fact can't be stated here.

Nobody is going to ban you or delete your posts, so please calm down. As for the rest, this is a board for mature discussion of elections, and this board is well regarded for the high value of its discussions, and because I want to keep it that way, I would prefer if we could stay away from silly name-calling of politicians (i.e. calling people 'Heir' or something) which don't add any value or content to the discussion. There's no need to get on high horses about this.

I echo Xahar's excellent post.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 04:31:50 PM »

The Beauce and thereabouts are historically friendly to right-wing parties, but it would be fallacious to act as though it were a Tory stronghold. It was barely a decade ago that the Liberals beat the Bloc by less than 2300 votes there while the Tories lagged behind at barely 17%. It would certainly go NDP in the right election.

They're nationalists, so I can see them voting Bloc, but that doesn't mean they're open to voting for a social democratic federalist party. Maybe through osmosis they will vote NDP in the future, but not this election.

ETA: Also recall that the Liberal/BQ races were back when the right wing was split between the discredited Tories and the Francophobe Reform/Alliance.

The Beauce is the least nationalist Francophone region in the province.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 06:15:48 PM »

Biebertrudeau's Leftist Progressive Hero campaign is pretty hilarious. Especially considering that prior to the campaign he was far more Moderate Hero (+ Free Weed).

Not that I'll be voting, but here is my Vote compass
NDP 85%
Grn 79%
Lib 71%
Purgatory 37%
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »

I'm glad that the Conservatives didn't try (and don't want to try) to revert the legalization of same-sex marriage.

They did, in 2006.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 10:07:59 AM »

Managing a Conservative campaign is such a foreign concept for me that I have no idea where I could even begin. I suppose I would start by unmuzzling my candidates?

Considering the intellect of some/many Tory candidates and even ministers, that's not a very good idea.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 11:03:30 AM »

Let's cut out this garbage now, please and thank you.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 10:10:40 AM »

All Canadian pollsters are garbage. Everybody calm down.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 12:23:27 PM »

This Baird thing is hilarious.

Apparently, in Canadian politics, 'joining the private sector' = 'I am dying' or 'I am becoming a professional pederast'.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 12:03:40 PM »

The last thing we need is a religion debate spinning this thread off topic. If you which to continue this discussion, do so in another thread on the appropriate board, and keep this thread on topic. Thank you.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 09:59:23 PM »

Talking of Hasidic Jews, there's an interesting Hasidic community right outside of Boisbriand on North Shore Montreal called Kiryas Tosh, an extremely conservative community (the Wiki article has a list of their local values or whatever, which are all terrifying) which reminds me of Kiryas Joel in NY. Their election results are noteworthy since barely any of them vote and are all over the place in the last 4 elections.

2011:
Turnout 8%
Lib 32 (47%)
Con 32 (47%)
Bloc 3 (4%)
Grn 1 (1%)
NDP 0 (0%)

2008:
Turnout 10%
Bloc 25 (47%)
NDP 9 (17%)
Con 9 (17%)
Lib 7 (13%)
Grn 3 (6%)

2006:
Turnout 17%
Con 47 (45%)
Lib 28 (27%)
Bloc 23 (22%)
NDP 4 (4%)
Grn 2 (2%)

2004:
Turnout 24%
Lib 50 (45%)
Bloc 37 (33%)
Con 20 (18%)
Grn 4 (4%)
NDP 1 (1%)

In provincial elections, turnout is roughly as low, but the difference is that basically everybody who does vote votes Liberal (literally 100% in 2008!).
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 10:31:41 AM »

This election seems to be heading in a very dark and depressing direction. Very happy that I'm not voting.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 10:06:32 PM »

Indeed. I have to say, as someone who is used to French political discourse, the current Québec issues seem all too familiar to me.

They're hardly 'issues' given that they're completely invented fantasies, much like the 'reasonable accommodations' which were by and large invented fantasies.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 08:19:02 PM »

It would same that there's a fairly strong Liberal wave in suburban Ottawa - if these polls are worth anything. If true, it will be fantastic to see Royal Galipeau defeated.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »

It's more of a 'shy incumbent' effect if anything.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 07:02:44 PM »

As I anticipate tomorrow to be pretty active, a few guidelines to keep in mind here:

This thread will be locked sometime tomorrow, before polls close, and a results thread opened. This thread will likely be reopened a few days after the election to discuss non-results/analysis matters.

Do not post rumours which are iffy, you know to be false or any of that kind of bad stuff.

Let's keep useless partisanship to a minimum. Unless you're adding insight or contributing something, it's really a waste of bandwidth and everyone's time to post silly nonsense. Similarly, refrain from posts consisting solely of ultrapartisan spin, hyperbolic nonsense and so forth.

Play nice.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 06:15:52 PM »

Closed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies