N.C. Church Kicks Out Members Who Do Not Support Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:00:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  N.C. Church Kicks Out Members Who Do Not Support Bush
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: N.C. Church Kicks Out Members Who Do Not Support Bush  (Read 2738 times)
Shira

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2005, 10:20:14 AM »

In NC everything is possible. They are at least 100 years behind.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2005, 10:32:21 AM »

That is utterly disgraceful and deeply unchristian. Shame on him.

Athough it's tempting, please don't blame this on George Bush.  My guess is that he is as uncomfortable with this as you are.
MissCatholic

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2005, 10:59:20 AM »

The people to blame here arent bush or anyone connected to the bush administration its the people who do the banning.

I`m sure it didnt take long for liberals to find this case and move it into the public eye. Yes it is wrong but whats the point in giving it this amount of attention.

If your church says your not welcome...MOVE TO ANOTHER ONE...their are plenty more to attend too.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2005, 11:23:49 AM »

I think that's true.  I'm trying to think of sitting in mass.  We actually went some when I was a kid, fairly regularly till after my confirmation.  And I'm trying to imagine the monsignor saying something like that.  I just can't.  I can remember the last time I talked to a priest was in 1993 on the ocassion of my mother's requiem mass.  He was a hard drinker, and like my sister, a heavy smoker.  Liked nasty jokes too.  Smart man he was.  And generally kind to my family.  We talked about all sorts of things, but not politics, as I recall.  I suppose times have changed.  I don't want to trample on anyone's religion, but this is tacky.  And, in as much as I understand the concept, it's unchristian, as Al pointed out.
jacob_101

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2005, 03:37:14 PM »

Why does anyone care except the congregants of the church.  The church is a private organization and can have whatever rules it wants.  However the church should lose it's tax exempt status.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2005, 03:41:34 PM »

However the church should lose its tax exempt status.

No, it shouldn't. This kind of fascism should lose its tax exempt status.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2005, 03:49:04 PM »

Altough they've been expled from that CHurch(I wonder what they'd do to the Peroutka supports), they haven't been expelled from the invisible church, which is all that matters.
Anyways, this just proves why the presbyterian form of governance is better than the congregational.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2005, 02:44:10 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2005, 02:49:25 PM by phknrocket1k »

Still, I think this is less consequential than the fact that a conservative has great difficulty getting tenure at a university.  In the academic and entertainment worlds, conservatives are effectively blacklisted in many cases because of their views.  While both are wrong, it's relatively easy to join another church, but it's difficult to get another career.

Quit with the 'victim' mentality, you guys picked religion over science.

Religion and Education haven't mixed since the days of Galileo, Kepler, Darwin, Brahe, Darwin.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2005, 02:51:54 PM »

Religion and Education haven't mixed since the days of Galileo, Kepler, Darwin, Brahe, Darwin.

Er, you might not want to include Tycho Brahe; he rejected heliocentrism (the thought that things revolve around the sun) in lieu of geocentrism (the thought that things revolve around the earth) mostly for religious reasons.

It's interesting to note that Brahe's own measurements were used against him by Kepler to prove that heliocentrism was likely to be correct, but now I'm getting off on a tangent on science, so I'll stop. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies