Were the bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki morally justified?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:54:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Were the bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki morally justified?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Were the bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki morally justified?  (Read 3971 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 11:19:15 AM »

Good side of the nuclear weapons: no direct conflict between superpowers after 1945.
Korea, Vietnam (...) and Afganistan are small countries.

You can make at least two new polls with that.

1) Are proxy conflicts between superpowers morally justified?

2) Was Agent Orange morally justified?

3 (Optional) Was there a connection between Osama Bin Laden, the US and Afghanistan? Was morally justified supporting that guy?

Claiming that there was a "good side" in the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki... or Dresden and Tokyo for that matter... Japan was already defeated in August 1945, as it was Germany in February of that year. It was only a question of time.

And a lot of dead GIs.. An invasion of the Japanese mainland would have been extremely bloody.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 12:26:32 PM »

Yes, that's the usual argument. However, I wonder if an invasion of Japanese mainland was absolutely essential in order to make Japan surrender, sooner or later. For instance, there is a 1946 report:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/USSBS-PTO-Summary.html#jstetw

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Another question is the timing, the coincidence with the invasion of Manchuria by the Red Army, which took place between Hiroshima and Nagasaki but was previously planned in accordance to Tehran and Yalta agreements. Actually, there's controversy about the comparative importance of the bombings and the Soviet invasion in the Japanese surrender. I really don't know which event weighed more, but at the very least I think we should not endorse the 'official version' without further ado. On the other hand, the Cold War was already in the first stage. For some reason, Truman was anxious and expectant about the result of nuclear tests at Alamogordo while meeting with Stalin at Postdam.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 12:45:51 PM »

I can't help but think racial issues lie behind the decision (as well as the firebombing campaign). The Americans did not join in (for the most part) on the ruthless RAF bombing attacks on German civilian targets, believing them to be crude and unneeded. On the Pacific front however, LeMay and his minions were allowed free reign on devastating Japanese cities.

Here's a Truman quote:

"The only language they seem to understand is the one we have been using to bombard them. When you have to deal with a beast you have to treat him like a beast. It is most regrettable but nevertheless true"

It seems that the Americans largely had completely dehumanised their enemy by this stage to the extent they had convinced themselves that the Japanese were monolithic and would never, ever surrender without being hurt.

Here's an interesting hypothetical actually (I believe it was first raised by Einstein): suppose Germany had developed two Fat Man style bombs and dropped them on, say, Hull and Portsmouth; but then ran out of bombs and surrender to the Allies. Would the Allies have regarded such an attack as a war crime? Or would they have shrugged it off? I know the phrase "winners write history" is trite nonsense for the most part, but it is interesting to consider. Is such an act only immoral if you lose?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 04:27:32 PM »

Another thing people forget, even if we only dropped the bomb to keep the Soviets out of the war, in retrospect, doing so was still a good thing. Imagine if half of Japan had been under Communist dictatorship for 40 years. It's even possible they could still have a Kimist type regime to this day.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 06:36:25 PM »

I think there's a plausible scenario where the bombing of Nagasaki is avoided. That said, I can't fault Truman for the way this played out, and the longer the war went on, the more likely a situation where Soviet involvement ends up in giving the USSR more spoils of war in the East becomes likely (The island of Hokkaido becoming The People's Republic of Ezo?).
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 12:01:17 AM »

It's plausible to think that the prospect of a Soviet invasion of Hokkaido would have hastened Japanese surrender to the US. Nearly everything is possible when we speculate about counterfactual scenarios, if you think about it.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 12:27:57 AM »

Here's a Truman quote:

"The only language they seem to understand is the one we have been using to bombard them. When you have to deal with a beast you have to treat him like a beast. It is most regrettable but nevertheless true"

It seems that the Americans largely had completely dehumanised their enemy by this stage to the extent they had convinced themselves that the Japanese were monolithic and would never, ever surrender without being hurt.

I think that was probably a crucial aspect, in order to justify massive bombings and the final decision. Racial prejudice (few would disagree, given the existence of internment camps in American soil) and dehumanization. Good point. 
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 02:44:51 AM »

I can't help but think racial issues lie behind the decision (as well as the firebombing campaign). The Americans did not join in (for the most part) on the ruthless RAF bombing attacks on German civilian targets, believing them to be crude and unneeded. On the Pacific front however, LeMay and his minions were allowed free reign on devastating Japanese cities.

Wasn't the atomic bomb originally developed for use against the Germans?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 03:32:11 AM »

I know the phrase "winners write history" is trite nonsense for the most part, but it is interesting to consider. Is such an act only immoral if you lose?

Its a basic fact, not nonsense.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 04:28:16 AM »

Perhaps "used to justify nonsense" is more appropriate? E.g. Sympathisers for axis powers, confederate or other such unpleasant groups will always throw out that idiom as part of their persecution complex.

@NatProg, it's hard to say. It was definitely developed out of fear of the German's project, but much of the race seemed to be just a race to get one; which explains why most of the Manhattan Project scientists turned squeamish at the prospect of using the bombs.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 01:34:06 AM »

No, they weren't. The killing of innocent people is never justified.

Even if the alternative is much more lives lost?
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2015, 08:33:31 PM »

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2015, 10:43:43 PM »

Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2015, 12:43:31 AM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2015, 10:32:31 AM »

I'm a lazy so I'll ask - Why were those two cities chosen.?  It seems to me Truman could have bombed more populous areas if his only intention was to kill as many people as possible.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2015, 01:13:49 PM »

I'm a lazy so I'll ask - Why were those two cities chosen.?  It seems to me Truman could have bombed more populous areas if his only intention was to kill as many people as possible.

Much of Japan had already been brutally firebombed.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2015, 03:41:26 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2015, 03:57:47 PM by ingemann »

I'm a lazy so I'll ask - Why were those two cities chosen.?  It seems to me Truman could have bombed more populous areas if his only intention was to kill as many people as possible.

Kyoto was meant as a alternate target, but it was dropped at the insistence of Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson (it's believed the reason was that he had his honeymoon there). Kyoto was also a city of much greater historical value (as the former capital). Tokyo was avoided because the American government wanted someone to negotiate after they had nuked the cities. As for civilian loss, I think we more or less saw the maximum loss of human lives. The early nukes was less efficient weapons than we usual think, but Japanese cities was more or less "perfect" for high loss of lives, as they was much more crowded than European and American cities, and was build to large extent of timber. If a nuke had been thrown on a German city, we would likely have seen a much smaller loss of lives, thank to German cities being both less crowded and mainly build in bricks.  
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2015, 03:51:27 PM »

I sincerely appreciate the historical updates.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2015, 11:46:24 AM »

Well, it was true.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies