Dick Cheney to keynote Republican Party of Florida event
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:09:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dick Cheney to keynote Republican Party of Florida event
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dick Cheney to keynote Republican Party of Florida event  (Read 1541 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2015, 05:01:29 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/dick-cheney-keynote-republican-party-florida-summit-120995.html#ixzz3ht0WjTi5
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »

If Jeb even thinks of going within ten miles of Dick Cheney, he should be written-off.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »

Dick Cheney understands the world we live in, he has shown tremendous judgement in foreign policy and he is to be commended for sticking to his principles.

The public dislikes him. They like W personally, Cheney doesn't have that warm personality.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:03:11 PM »

Dick Cheney understands the world we live in, he has shown tremendous judgement in foreign policy and he is to be commended for sticking to his principles.

The public dislikes him. They like W personally, Cheney doesn't have that warm personality.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 07:24:04 PM »

If Jeb even thinks of going within ten miles of Dick Cheney, he should be written-off.

They have a lot of respect for each other and are reportedly good friends.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 07:32:57 PM »

Ugh
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 07:37:05 PM »

Tell that to the rest of the world.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 07:57:12 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2015, 07:54:46 AM by Mr. Morden »

Sometimes, making tough decisions isn't popular even when it's right. The fact of the matter is, the U.S. needs to have strong alliances. Our alliances with nations such as Israel, England, Germany, and Poland were stronger under George W. Bush than they are today. But there are folks in foreign countries who believe that Bush and Cheney should have left Saddam Hussein in power to oppress 25 million people, to continue secret prison camps, to continue to murder and rape, and to threaten the world with weapons of mass destruction he was capable of building. There are folks who believe Bush and Cheney should have negotiated with Yassir Arafat, one of the worlds worst terrorists. There are those who believe Bush and Cheney should not have crippled Iran's economy to hurt their ability to go nuclear. I disagree. Bush and Cheney made mistakes here at home, and the strategy in Iraq was flawed for a time, but President Bush, with the Vice President's advice, made tough decisions which have turned out to be the right decisions. Thank God for people like George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Condi Rice, and Paul Wolfowitz.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 10:20:51 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2015, 10:23:19 PM by dudeabides »

Told yall Jeb is bringing his goons

You disgust me. Your slurping is unreal.

Look, I see the signature photo you have chosen. I know you care more about the rights of terrorists than the security of American citizens. I know you'd rather this country be a nation of stoners. But some of us understand that this is a dangerous world and that keeping America safe requires a strong military and an overseas presence at times, though we shouldn't be the world's police.

Sometimes, making tough decisions isn't popular even when it's right. The fact of the matter is, the U.S. needs to have strong alliances. Our alliances with nations such as Israel, England, Germany, and Poland were stronger under George W. Bush than they are today. But there are folks in foreign countries who believe that Bush and Cheney should have left Saddam Hussein in power to oppress 25 million people, to continue secret prison camps, to continue to murder and rape, and to threaten the world with weapons of mass destruction he was capable of building. There are folks who believe Bush and Cheney should have negotiated with Yassir Arafat, one of the worlds worst terrorists. There are those who believe Bush and Cheney should not have crippled Iran's economy to hurt their ability to go nuclear. I disagree. Bush and Cheney made mistakes here at home, and the strategy in Iraq was flawed for a time, but President Bush, with the Vice President's advice, made tough decisions which have turned out to be the right decisions. Thank God for people like George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Condi Rice, and Paul Wolfowitz.
Translation: I am a neo-con and want to rule the world

I love how the libertarian RINOs love to call everyone who believes in American leadership globally a neo-con. As I have said numerous times, I don't want the U.S. to police the world. I don't believe we should intervene in every conflict. In fact, I think we should minimize instances where we have boots on the ground. But, there is a need for American leadership globally in able to ensure a safer world long term. The U.S. should have bases in places like Kuwait and South Korea. The U.S. should not force democracy across the globe, but we should encourage democracy and try to help those who seek democracy when and if we can. We have a solemn obligation to defeat those who wish us harm. That takes hard work, it takes maintaining strong alliances, it takes a strong military and human intelligence capabilities, it takes defeating terrorists and outlaw regimes.

The fact of the matter is, today the U.S. is not seen as a strong leader in the world because under President Obama, we have not been there for our allies all the time. We have weakened our alliances with nations such as Israel, Germany, and Poland. We've appeased Russia, Cuba, and Iran. The President deserves credit for the surge in Afghanistan, and I happen to believe he made the right decision aiding in the effort to get rid of Gadaphi. Even your pal Rand Paul whined about both of those things. Paul believes we are in the middle east without a declaration of war, we declared war on terror through a vote in congress in 2001, I'm not sure where he's been since then.

Rand Paul is simply continuing the family tradition of appeasing radical islam under the guise of somehow protecting our civil liberties. His views are dangerous, he's delusional, and his view is unpatriotic and out of touch with the majority of Americans, including Republicans.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 10:24:42 PM »

Told yall Jeb is bringing his goons

You disgust me. Your slurping is unreal.

Look, I see the signature photo you have chosen. I know you care more about the rights of terrorists than the security of American citizens. I know you'd rather this country be a nation of stoners. But some of us understand that this is a dangerous world and that keeping America safe requires a strong military and an overseas presence at times, though we shouldn't be the world's police.

Translation: I am a neo-con and want to rule the world

I love how the libertarian RINOs love to call everyone who believes in American leadership globally a neo-con. As I have said numerous times, I don't want the U.S. to police the world. I don't believe we should intervene in every conflict. In fact, I think we should minimize instances where we have boots on the ground. But, there is a need for American leadership globally in able to ensure a safer world long term. The U.S. should have bases in places like Kuwait and South Korea. The U.S. should not force democracy across the globe, but we should encourage democracy and try to help those who seek democracy when and if we can. We have a solemn obligation to defeat those who wish us harm. That takes hard work, it takes maintaining strong alliances, it takes a strong military and human intelligence capabilities, it takes defeating terrorists and outlaw regimes.

The fact of the matter is, today the U.S. is not seen as a strong leader in the world because under President Obama, we have not been there for our allies all the time. We have weakened our alliances with nations such as Israel, Germany, and Poland. We've appeased Russia, Cuba, and Iran. The President deserves credit for the surge in Afghanistan, and I happen to believe he made the right decision aiding in the effort to get rid of Gadaphi. Even your pal Rand Paul whined about both of those things. Paul believes we are in the middle east without a declaration of war, we declared war on terror through a vote in congress in 2001, I'm not sure where he's been since then.

You can't win a war against a tactic, you will be fighting forever.
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

tl;dr
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 11:45:01 PM »

I hope his next event is at the Hague.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 04:32:07 AM »

No, this is a guy who thought that Saddam Hussein organised and funded Al-Qaeda, and continued to spout this myth. He is the reason people thought Saddam=9/11.

Cheney was the absolute worse of the bush administration, considering he froze out moderate voices like Powell. Not only did he oppose the 2nd key resolution in the UN (which was needed for any legitimacy) but he also refused to actually try. Likewise calling to bomb Iran in 2007 is hardly good judgement is it?

You keep talking about alliances but the US was the most isolated during the Bush years. France hated him, Britain hated him (including the vast majority of the governing party), Germany hated him, the relative moderates in the middle east hated him for his refusal to try and sort out Israel
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 04:42:27 AM »

As this thread is about the election, it's not what Cheney did or did not do. What matters is that Jeb's most damaging association in the eyes of the public would be exemplified if He was to become all matey with the most loathed member of the Bush admin.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 07:11:35 AM »

A warm personality means nothing if one does horrible things or lets them happen.

People do not want a repeat of the Double-Zero decade.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 07:49:06 AM »

No, this is a guy who thought that Saddam Hussein organised and funded Al-Qaeda, and continued to spout this myth. He is the reason people thought Saddam=9/11.

Cheney was the absolute worse of the bush administration, considering he froze out moderate voices like Powell. Not only did he oppose the 2nd key resolution in the UN (which was needed for any legitimacy) but he also refused to actually try. Likewise calling to bomb Iran in 2007 is hardly good judgement is it?

You keep talking about alliances but the US was the most isolated during the Bush years. France hated him, Britain hated him (including the vast majority of the governing party), Germany hated him, the relative moderates in the middle east hated him for his refusal to try and sort out Israel

President Bush fostered stronger alliances with nations such as Israel, Poland, Germany, and England. There were folks in England who opposed the mission in Iraq, but Tony Blair's government was a partner in that effort and there was a strong alliance there. The Bush administration was a strong ally of Israel, the fact that they worked closely with Israel and refused to negotiate with Arafat is a testament to that. The Polish had a rather large presence in Iraq, President Bush fostered a strong foreign policy alliance with the Polish.   
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 08:01:02 AM »

President Bush fostered stronger alliances with nations such as  England. There were folks in England who opposed the mission in Iraq, but Tony Blair's government was a partner in that effort and there was a strong alliance there.  

There was one person in the UK who liked Bush-Tony Blair. Half the labour party opposed the war in Iraq before Bush even had a chance to mess it up, the entire country was wishing that Kerry beat Bush in 2004. The man become so toxic over here, and that was before Katrina and all the other stuff.

He didn't strengthen the alliance with the UK at all-our Prime Minister Gordon Brown pretty much avoided Bush for 2 years, and then the moment that Obama came to office Brown raced over to Washington. Blair even waited to get his congressional medal until 2009, which shows how much of a joke Bush was

The idea that Bush strengthened alliances is a complete myth-the UK armed forces including people like General Jackson absolutely hated the Americans for putting absolutely no plan in place after the war, for getting rid of the Iraqi Army and firing about 500,000 low level officials who were needed. Sure the British did badly but it hardly improved the relationship.

Likewise the fact that Britain voted against attacking Syria in 2013 showed that Bush damaged the entire 'special relationship' because we didn't want to follow the Americans into another war on shaky grounds. It's completely false, from any angle to claim that George Bush strengthened the relationship from the Clinton esque levels in the 1990's.

Look at the Grand Coalition in 1991 to fight Saddam.
Compare it with 2003.

Only an idiot thinks that Bush was some sort of grand diplomat who inspired the world. As you like to say so much-he divided America
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 08:01:05 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2015, 08:33:04 AM by Mr. Morden »

I'm not that fussed about threads going off topic, but this one was barely on topic in the first place, as there was little to connect the discussion to the 2016 presidential election or the presidential candidates.

So, moving to US General Discussion…
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 11:09:40 AM »

President Bush fostered stronger alliances with nations such as  England. There were folks in England who opposed the mission in Iraq, but Tony Blair's government was a partner in that effort and there was a strong alliance there.  

There was one person in the UK who liked Bush-Tony Blair. Half the labour party opposed the war in Iraq before Bush even had a chance to mess it up, the entire country was wishing that Kerry beat Bush in 2004. The man become so toxic over here, and that was before Katrina and all the other stuff.

He didn't strengthen the alliance with the UK at all-our Prime Minister Gordon Brown pretty much avoided Bush for 2 years, and then the moment that Obama came to office Brown raced over to Washington. Blair even waited to get his congressional medal until 2009, which shows how much of a joke Bush was

The idea that Bush strengthened alliances is a complete myth-the UK armed forces including people like General Jackson absolutely hated the Americans for putting absolutely no plan in place after the war, for getting rid of the Iraqi Army and firing about 500,000 low level officials who were needed. Sure the British did badly but it hardly improved the relationship.

Likewise the fact that Britain voted against attacking Syria in 2013 showed that Bush damaged the entire 'special relationship' because we didn't want to follow the Americans into another war on shaky grounds. It's completely false, from any angle to claim that George Bush strengthened the relationship from the Clinton esque levels in the 1990's.

Compare it with 2003.

Only an idiot thinks that Bush was some sort of grand diplomat who inspired the world. As you like to say so much-he divided America

For starters, as I have stated before, sometimes making tough decisions requires leaders to do things that aren't popular, even when they are right. Not all of President Bush's decisions were popular in foreign capitols. But, the President tried to build strong alliances, and in many cases he succeeded. Furthermore, President Obama - in cases such as Israel, Poland, and Germany, has weakened our alliances, there is no doubt. President Bush worked with our allies to overthrow Saddam Hussein and destroy global terrorism.

Who was President in 2013, Bush or Obama? Bush didn't suggest going into Syria, Obama did. Bush never even talked about going into Syria because the situation there didn't arise until after he left office.

Also, I never said that Bush strengthened alliances from the Clinton era. My point here is that Bush sought to keep or strengthen the alliances we had. Also, I'm sure the Israelis would say Bush improved their alliance with the U.S. over Clinton. Bill Clinton welcomed Yassir Arafat to the white house and got angry when Rudy Giuliani had him ejected from the U.N. 50th anniversary celebration in New York City. President Bush refused to negotiate with Arafat because Arafat had no legitimate authority and was responsible for countless murders.

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »

LOL Cheney should be locked in a mental asylum. Bush and Cheney's inept foreign policy killed over 1 million Iraqi's. Iraq is in a MUCH worse of state today than it was in 2001. We had ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS in Iraq whatsoever it just made the Iraqi people hate us even more than they do. Spare me the neo-con drivel dudeabides.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »

dudeabides, rock on, buddy! I agree 100% with you on Cheney.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 12:02:43 PM »

President Bush fostered stronger alliances with nations such as  England. There were folks in England who opposed the mission in Iraq, but Tony Blair's government was a partner in that effort and there was a strong alliance there.  

Compare it with 2003.

For starters, as I have stated before, sometimes making tough decisions requires leaders to do things that aren't popular, even when they are right. Not all of President Bush's decisions were popular in foreign capitols. But, the President tried to build strong alliances, and in many cases he succeeded. Furthermore, President Obama - in cases such as Israel, Poland, and Germany, has weakened our alliances, there is no doubt. President Bush worked with our allies to overthrow Saddam Hussein and destroy global terrorism.

Who was President in 2013, Bush or Obama? Bush didn't suggest going into Syria, Obama did. Bush never even talked about going into Syria because the situation there didn't arise until after he left office.

Also, I never said that Bush strengthened alliances from the Clinton era. My point here is that Bush sought to keep or strengthen the alliances we had. Also, I'm sure the Israelis would say Bush improved their alliance with the U.S. over Clinton. Bill Clinton welcomed Yassir Arafat to the white house and got angry when Rudy Giuliani had him ejected from the U.N. 50th anniversary celebration in New York City. President Bush refused to negotiate with Arafat because Arafat had no legitimate authority and was responsible for countless murders.

But the situation in Syria happened partially because of the upheaval in Iraq and other Middle Eastern/North African (since the whole Arab Spring started in Tunisia) countries. And that was Bush's actions that led up to that.

As for Saddam Hussein and Iraq itself, yeah, a whole lot of good that did in the end, huh?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 12:21:16 PM »

Compare it with 2003.

Germany? Schroder pretty much ignored Bush once Iraq war begun!
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 12:46:58 PM »

dudabides, et al. You seem to be under the impression that Bush and Cheney laboriously poured over intelligence reports after 9/11, trying to solve the issue of global terror, and after much deliberation decided "Well, it may not be popular, but unfortunately it looks like we're going to have to invade Iraq unless Saddam is willing to give up his weapons or allow for full inspections."

No. Cheney and his allies, particularly Paul Wolfowitz, went into office with invading Iraq as a goal to secure Bush's legacy as a crusader for democracy, to finish the work of 1991, and most importantly, allow American energy companies to get their oil from Iraq.

They didn't choose to invade Iraq based on evidence. They wanted to invade Iraq and then created evidence to justify this goal. Take this memo from Rumsfeld to Central Command chief Tommy Franks two months after 9/11, for example:

Where have I head that third point before?

If you want more context, here's the full document: http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB326/doc08.pdf
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies