Democratic debate schedule announced, set to begin on October 13
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:13:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic debate schedule announced, set to begin on October 13
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Democratic debate schedule announced, set to begin on October 13  (Read 3347 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2015, 11:02:44 PM »

I don't think Chafee would be able to afford the gas to drive his car up to the debate stage anyway.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2015, 11:37:44 PM »

I don't think Chafee would be able to afford the gas to drive his car up to the debate stage anyway.

That's a good point actually.  It's in Las Vegas, so his campaign will somehow have to come up with the money to send him all the way across the country.  Maybe he lends his campaign enough $ for a one way plane ticket, he does the debate, then gambles his few remaining campaign dollars in Las Vegas, in the hopes of winning enough money to fly back to Rhode Island.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 12:32:37 AM »

So I guess the first debate is at UNLV?  What will the specific venue be?  How many in the audience, and how do people get into the audience?  I'm assuming that both the Clinton and Sanders campaigns will try to pack the crowd with their supporters.  (Other campaigns will too, but the other campaigns don't have any supporters.)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 09:48:59 PM »

O'Malley lawyer alleging that the debate exclusivity rules (barring candidates from participating in non-sanctioned debates) violate FEC rules:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/08/11/omalley-lawyer-alleges-legal-problems-with-dnc-debate-plan/
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2015, 10:43:23 PM »

O'Malley signs an online petition asking Jon Stewart to be made a general election debate moderator, and uses it to again bring up his complaints about the small number of Democratic primary debates:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/08/20/omalley-adds-his-name-to-a-petition-seeking-to-make-jon-stewart-a-debate-moderator/
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2015, 10:58:53 PM »

I suppose the big question is, will Larry Lessig poll 1% three times? Him on the stage would be hilarious.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2015, 11:04:29 PM »

I suppose the big question is, will Larry Lessig poll 1% three times? Him on the stage would be hilarious.

Well first thing is he needs to get the polling companies to start including his name. So far PPP has but they arent included on the CNN list.

It would be interesting to have him there because he is a single issue 'referendum' candidate. So his answer to every question would be "well, I don't really have an opinion on that because I am only here to get money out of politics, etc. etc."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »

*bump*

We're now within six weeks of the October 13th debate, so time to start tracking which candidates manage 1% in three national polls that meet the CNN criteria.  Clinton, Sanders, and Biden (if he enters the race) are locks, O'Malley and Webb are all but certain, and Chafee is probably more likely than not, but not a sure thing.  Lessig probably won't make it because the pollsters don't include him.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »

So where do we stand now on polling that counts towards inclusion in this debate?  Just the CNN and ABC polls so far?  Chafee got 0% in the CNN poll and 1% in the ABC poll.  So he has another four weeks to go to get two more national polls (that the DNC / CNN consider “credible”) where he’s at 1% or more.

And Lessig hasn’t been included in either poll, IIRC, so it doesn’t seem very likely that he’ll make it.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 06:19:43 PM »

So where do we stand now on polling that counts towards inclusion in this debate?  Just the CNN and ABC polls so far?  Chafee got 0% in the CNN poll and 1% in the ABC poll.  So he has another four weeks to go to get two more national polls (that the DNC / CNN consider “credible”) where he’s at 1% or more.

And Lessig hasn’t been included in either poll, IIRC, so it doesn’t seem very likely that he’ll make it.

I guess Conan O'Brien will be his salvation. Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2015, 07:51:01 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

It might be good for Chafee to qualify in the debate, so that he can play the role of Gravel 8 years ago, going hard after Hillary's hawkishness. Webb might attack her there too, but the others will probably take more of a high road.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »

It might be good for Chafee to qualify in the debate, so that he can play the role of Gravel 8 years ago, going hard after Hillary's hawkishness.

He's been an attack dog on Clinton on a wide range of issues.  I really think the debate will be quite different if he's included than it would be otherwise.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »

CNN announces that Anderson Cooper will moderate the first Democratic debate:

http://www.ibtimes.com/when-democratic-2016-debate-anderson-cooper-announced-moderator-first-candidate-face-2100972
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 03:59:45 PM »

*bump*

The final two debates have been scheduled:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/331392271.html

Thu, Feb. 11th in Wisconsin, hosted by PBS
Wed, Mar. 9th in Miami, FL, hosted by Univision/The Washington Post

The first debate is thus two days after the presumed date of the NH primary, and nine days before Nevada.

The second debate is a week after Super Tuesday, and six days before the primaries in FL, IL, MO, NC, OH.

I’m still not sure that last debate will actually happen.  If Clinton already has an enormous lead in delegates after Super Tuesday, why bother exposing herself to any more risk by doing another debate?
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 04:18:59 PM by eric82oslo »

I'm looking forward to this one. Smiley

Hopefully they'll discuss the future of the status of Puerto Rico as well in this debate.

Plus whether the US had a bigger obligation to help its neighbours in the south, especially in Central America, Venezuela, Colombia and Mexico. Right now the US is of course way too focused on all other continents, on Asia, Europe and Africa, including Israel and the Middle East. Latin America is what the US should mainly be focused on, cause its their freaking neighbours, and noone else seems to care about the region. Europe has far too much to do in regards to Russia and its neighbours, Africa, and the Middle East, including Syria, as well as Greece of course and the rest of the Balkans. And Asian countries are almost exclusively committed to themselves and hardly does any Foreign policy of value, other than what serves their own economic and security interests. So when push comes to show, I'm afraid that the future of Latin America is mainly in the hands of 5 entities: USA, Canada, Spain, Portugal and China (which has started spending heavily in the region over the past few years, just like they have done in Africa).
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2015, 04:18:43 PM »

*bump*

The final two debates have been scheduled:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/331392271.html

The first debate is thus two days after the presumed date of the NH primary, and nine days before Nevada.

The second debate is a week after Super Tuesday, and six days before the primaries in FL, IL, MO, NC, OH.

I’m still not sure that last debate will actually happen.  If Clinton already has an enormous lead in delegates after Super Tuesday, why bother exposing herself to any more risk by doing another debate?

If Clinton sweeps the board on super tuesday, then Sanders will presumably withdraw and the debate will not happen. But if Sanders can win VT, MA, CO, and MN, and give Clinton a closer than expected race in NC and GA, he'll press on, and Clinton will need to debate again (especially if Sanders wins MI and ME, which are held after Super Tuesday but before this debate) in hopes of knocking him out before he can pull off a Missouri or Ohio on the 15th.

Of course, if Biden gets in, scratch all that, and this debate almost certainly happens.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2015, 04:43:19 PM »

With the importance of Latino voters I'm sure she would see that as an opportunity to reach out to them for the general. Also skipping it would really piss off Jorge Ramos and you don't want him on your bad side. So the risk of skipping is greater than the risk of going.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2015, 05:13:35 PM »

With the importance of Latino voters I'm sure she would see that as an opportunity to reach out to them for the general. Also skipping it would really piss off Jorge Ramos and you don't want him on your bad side. So the risk of skipping is greater than the risk of going.

Agreed. The risk for the March 9 debate to be cancelled is extremely small in my opinion. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies