Breaking: Sen. Schumer (D-NY) to oppose Iran deal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:49:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Sen. Schumer (D-NY) to oppose Iran deal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Breaking: Sen. Schumer (D-NY) to oppose Iran deal  (Read 4962 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 12:05:30 PM »

Are Jews in New York really that opposed to the deal, or is this more about the  influence of AIPAC, etc.?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »

Are Jews in New York really that opposed to the deal, or is this more about the  influence of AIPAC, etc.?

I suppose the large majority of NY Jews are very liberal so the latter is the correct answer.
Angel of Death
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »

I suspect he only made his opposition public when he was certain that there was enough support in Congress to sustain a presidential veto of a disapproval resolution, and that therefore his vote would not be needed.

I think so too, but this cynical act is still very damaging to the Democratic party.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 01:29:22 PM »

Are Jews in New York really that opposed to the deal, or is this more about the  influence of AIPAC, etc.?

I suppose the large majority of NY Jews are very liberal so the latter is the correct answer.

Most are quite liberal.  However, NY Jews are more conservative than Jews in America overall, due to the large concentration of Orthodox/Hasidic/Haredi populations in southern Brooklyn and Rockland/Orange.

C.f., well, NYJew (remember him?)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 01:56:12 PM »

Schumer is such an HP.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 02:02:27 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2015, 02:05:40 PM by DavidB. »

This kind of thing is exactly why I've always loved Chuck Schumer.

This!

B'H! Schumer the Shomer stands strong!
On the one hand this ^. On the other hand, I think he probably ensured that there would be a majority for the deal anyway. Cardin and Booker are probably going to do the same: vote against without any consequences.

Still, him voting for this horrible deal would render him the ultimate Court Jew. Now, Schumer has showed that even if most Senate Dems are more than happy to throw Israel's security under the bus, he won't do that to his people - which is a powerful signal in and of itself. I fully support his re-election.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 02:23:01 PM »

This kind of thing is exactly why I've always loved Chuck Schumer.

This!

B'H! Schumer the Shomer stands strong!

Yeah, because current policy has been working sooooo well Roll Eyes
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 03:33:11 PM »

OTOH, we must remember that before becoming Democratic leader in 2004 Harry Reid was quite conservative but he quickly changed his positions in order to represent his caucus and  later to promote Obama's legislative agenda.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2015, 04:30:19 PM »

I suspect he only made his opposition public when he was certain that there was enough support in Congress to sustain a presidential veto of a disapproval resolution, and that therefore his vote would not be needed.  

This is why I don't think you should be making such a big deal about this.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2015, 05:07:03 PM »

This is why I don't think you should be making such a big deal about this.

Yeah, it's kind of creepy to see so many people wanting reprisals for this when the odds are all he's doing is voting his conscience without actually trying to derail the deal.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2015, 05:52:15 PM »

Well, while I am personally glad that he is opposing the deal, it is idiotic for him to go against his own party, especially in this age of partisanship. Looks like Durbin will become the Minority Leader instead.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2015, 06:41:43 PM »

Fine. No deal. Iran will go back to acquiring their nuclear materials as before. Good luck getting China and the EU to go along with ratcheting up sanctions when they're in bad need of export markets. Good luck getting anyone to take the US seriously as a global dealmaker when we devote years to an agreement and then have our legislative body dump water all over it after it's done.

Those of you who are opposed are more than welcome to explain, very specifically, how you would have gotten anything more from Iran than what was gotten. And if "Bomb Iran" is your answer, then go down to your nearest recruiting center and sign up instead of sitting there like a neocon chickenhawk.

Loving Indy Texas' medieval conception of war (although to be fair even then many of the instigators of such wars didn't fight on the front lines).

Still waiting for someone to answer my question.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2015, 07:37:25 PM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 07:50:04 PM »

What's breaking about this story. I thought we knew Schumer was more of a hawkish Democrat, I'm not surprised.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2015, 12:16:39 AM »

Are Jews in New York really that opposed to the deal, or is this more about the  influence of AIPAC, etc.?

Most are quite liberal.  However, NY Jews are more conservative than Jews in America overall, due to the large concentration of Orthodox/Hasidic/Haredi populations in southern Brooklyn and Rockland/Orange.

plenty of liberal hawks in NY though, aren't there?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2015, 01:51:11 AM »

plenty of liberal hawks in NY though, aren't there?

Yeah but the idea that it would be enough for a serious primary challenge is laughable.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2015, 02:03:30 AM »

What's breaking about this story. I thought we knew Schumer was more of a hawkish Democrat, I'm not surprised.

He's the first Senate Democrat to oppose this deal. Feinstein is a hawkish Democrat, and yet she was the first Senator to support this deal.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2015, 11:46:06 AM »

Obama really doesn't know how to handle dissent. Schumer made clear in his initial statement that while he couldn't vote for this deal, he didn't plan to lobby people to join him. This was basically a tacit admission that while he accepts that the deal will pass, he won't give it his stamp.

Obama's response was to send his spokesman out to suggest that the Dems should pick a new majority leader. So, why exactly shouldn't Schumer decide to put out a full-court press on another 12 Democrats?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2015, 11:52:39 AM »

Obama really doesn't know how to handle dissent. Schumer made clear in his initial statement that while he couldn't vote for this deal, he didn't plan to lobby people to join him. This was basically a tacit admission that while he accepts that the deal will pass, he won't give it his stamp.

Obama's response was to send his spokesman out to suggest that the Dems should pick a new majority leader. So, why exactly shouldn't Schumer decide to put out a full-court press on another 12 Democrats?

Because doing that would undermine his becoming the Dem Senate leader far more than his breaking with Obama on Iran.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2015, 11:52:45 AM »

Dissent on such critical issue should not - and, in any self-respecting party, would not - be tolerated.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2015, 11:56:05 AM »

Dissent on such critical issue should not - and, in any self-respecting party, would not - be tolerated.

I think this is more of a conscience vote, than a party line thing myself. Plus, all politics is local, and his colleagues understand the pressures Schumer is under. Plus his vote makes no difference in the outcome.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2015, 12:01:24 PM »

Obama let dozens of Democrats vote against the ACA without any consequences, because the vote was guaranteed to pass. Doing anything else here makes him look petty and biased.

The President isn't owed lockstep loyalty from every member of his party, especially not on an issue as critical as this and especially not in the 7th year of his term.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2015, 12:09:29 PM »

Since when have American parties had any respect, self or otherwise?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2015, 12:10:58 PM »

"Conscience" has nothing to do with Schumer's vote. In fact, I'm pretty sure he (like anyone who knows anything about foreign policy) thinks it's a good deal. It's just that he's a spineless panderer who's afraid of a primary challenge that would never have happened anyway.

And even if he doesn't end up sabotaging the deal, Schumer's opppsition will contribute to shaping public opinion. When voters see that the deal has Republicans unanimously against it and Democrats split in two they will assume it's some far-left thing - whereas it's a great diplomatic success that should receive widely acclaim and bipartisan support.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2015, 12:18:36 PM »

"Conscience" has nothing to do with Schumer's vote. In fact, I'm pretty sure he (like anyone who knows anything about foreign policy) thinks it's a good deal. It's just that he's a spineless panderer who's afraid of a primary challenge that would never have happened anyway.

And even if he doesn't end up sabotaging the deal, Schumer's opppsition will contribute to shaping public opinion. When voters see that the deal has Republicans unanimously against it and Democrats split in two they will assume it's some far-left thing - whereas it's a great diplomatic success that should receive widely acclaim and bipartisan support.

Well, I am not sure of that at all, but I await the debates, and the contents of the two secret side letters, and then maybe I will join you in thinking the deal is beyond per adventure just fabulous. Anything is possible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies