Vice Presidential Election Amendment (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:37:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vice Presidential Election Amendment (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vice Presidential Election Amendment (Debating)  (Read 3240 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: August 09, 2015, 09:43:29 PM »

Meh, but I won't oppose it.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:09:23 AM »

I think there is still the fundamental issue is that the VP has a clear constitutional role as a tie-breaking vote. In my experience as president, my view was that that call must be made in accordance with the overall policies of the Administration.

By doing this, YES, you create a more interesting election, but at the same time, you risk political instability, where a Vice President can be an additional political instrument the President and Senate must navigate. Now, I understand the attraction to this, but I don't think there's been enough thought as to how this scenario would work in reality beyond the fun of the election.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 01:31:19 AM »

Realistically, a big part of the strength of the executive comes from presenting a united front across the various offices comprising it. For this to work, we'd probably need to make the executive far more powerful to compensate for losing that united front. President is already enough of a booby prize as is.

Because let's be honest... the Executive essentially serve at the President's pleasure. So you'd have someone in their team who they don't want and might actively antagonistic. Plus PiT is correct here that doing this at the same time as the President's powers continue to be whittled away is just a bit silly.

Why be President?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:12:37 AM »

Motion to table
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length