Vice Presidential Election Amendment (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:11:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vice Presidential Election Amendment (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vice Presidential Election Amendment (Debating)  (Read 3238 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 08, 2015, 03:52:30 AM »

I'm kind of partial to this, since this is the California system. On a more serious note, I also think that this would lend itself to electing more active and engaged VPs. This amendment has my support.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 02:28:27 AM »

Double serving the AG as something else will invariable risk a conflict of interest at some point regardless of what post it is. I think we should look at it in terms of systemic risk, what could a VP do as VP that also being AG could allow for him to get away with that he would otherwise be charged for?

A good point. The President could appoint a special prosecutor to charge the AG, but we would be demanding that the President pay close attention to affairs that may be tangential to what he does.

A potential idea for making the chief executive more powerful: eliminate the AG and vest the power to press charges and appoint counsel to defend the government in the President directly.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:56:18 AM »

Realistically, a big part of the strength of the executive comes from presenting a united front across the various offices comprising it. For this to work, we'd probably need to make the executive far more powerful to compensate for losing that united front. President is already enough of a booby prize as is.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 03:00:44 AM »

Motion seconded.

Yeah , I was initially enthusiastic about it, but very good points have been made against it, and we have a ConCon coming, so… Sad

I sort of turned on it myself, actually.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies